Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Party-booking question

+4
PerfectlyPaintedFaces
veelux
rthling
JJJJJ
8 posters

Go down

Party-booking question Empty Party-booking question

Post by JJJJJ Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Oh, what a problem to have! I am getting an increased volume of calls now, after spending a year working non-stop to promote my business and get the word out. I'm very grateful and I love this work so much.

How do you old pro's (and new pro's Very Happy ) handle this conundrum? I want to, and often could, book two parties for one day, but most of the time, the parties run too close to each other (I get calls for birthdays for the same Saturday and each party is in the 1-4 p.m. range, wanting the painting to begin around 1:30). So I only get to book the first phone call, and have to turn down the second.

I'd like to ideally have two parties for each day of the weekend.

Any tips, strategies, things that you really experienced folks have picked up along the way to increase the odds of this happening?

Thanks!

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Party-booking question Empty Re: Party-booking question

Post by rthling Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:12 pm

I started asking the second party inquiry if they have any flexibility in their party schedule. Many times they have accommodated me, just because they wanted me there. The first time I read that someone did that, I was floored at the audacity. Then I tried it, and I was stunned that people actually take it well. They are happy that I am willing to "work them in", so they adjust to my availability.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 pm

It never hurts to ask I guess.
veelux
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:08 pm

The most parties I've done in a day is 3. It was hectic but it worked! I always try to make it work for everybody. If someone books me from 1-2, then a second person calls, I let them know what I'm already booked for, and get their address so I can give them an estimate of when I can be at their party (if I leave straight from the first one). It usually works out fine, and they're very accomodating.
PerfectlyPaintedFaces
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:10 pm

Yup, ask, all they can do is say no. i have had clients change the date! More than half the time, they will adjust because they want you. Very Happy
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 pm

It is quite common for people to adjust their times in order for me to attend.

The most I've done is three events in one day... let me tell you, that is nuts. Every time I have done that I swear I won't do it again. But somehow I end up doing it.

I've done a wedding in the morning, a birthday in the afternoon, and theatre in the evening - so I am not running from one birthday party to another so it is different kits.

Two gigs is pretty common for me due to my theatre jobs - call is usually 5:30 p.m. so I can take other bookings during the day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Yeah, the only thing you can really do once you already have one party booked is just ask. I've also had several clients ask me when I could paint and plan their party around me. In the end I think people appreciate the fact that you are already busy but yet you are trying to fit their party in. Just make sure you have enough time in between to allow for finishing up any stragglers, packing up, driving, and hopefully a little time to REST so you can arrive ready to go again!
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmeadmama Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm

I don't think it's rude to ask at all. If anything, it makes you even more desirable to them Wink
kingsmeadmama
kingsmeadmama

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fairyfox Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:24 pm

Having a friend in your area works well to, so you can pass work back and forth- when you have the overflow. Often, there are brothers and sisters in the family that will be painted so you can show up a little early to the first party to "set up" and get them painted.
On a related note*** How do you guys feel about being first come first serve? When I get an email for an event far away, and that same day get a phone call about a better event close- Do you have to say yes to who contacted you first, or can you choose what you want to do without a guilty conscience?
Backing out of a gig is bad form of course. But if you haven't committed yet? what are your thoughts?
fairyfox
fairyfox

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2011-04-22

http://jacanaparties.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Whoever had a signed service agreement and deposit in my hand first gets the time slot.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:57 pm

Yep, you are not booked with me until you return the contract and the deposit!
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down