Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Sunny Florida :]

+6
Affordable Face Magic
veelux
Valerie A
anramire2
fesspenter
DigitalDiva
10 posters

Go down

Hello from Sunny Florida :] Empty Hello from Sunny Florida :]

Post by DigitalDiva Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 pm

Hello everybody! My name is Erin I'm 17 and a senior in high school. I moved down to Florida's suncoast a year ago, and loving the sunshine Smile! I'm an art lover of all medias, especially in digital and photography. Recently, I have fallen in love with the amazing art of face painting. I have become increasingly curious and would love to give it a try. I would eventually like to start up a small face painting business to earn a little cash for myself as well Smile. I thought joining this community would help me gain support and help me along the way. Looking forward to meeting to the members and hearing from them =].
Thanks so much in advanced!!
-Erin <3

DigitalDiva

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-02-21

Back to top Go down

Hello from Sunny Florida :] Empty Re: Hello from Sunny Florida :]

Post by fesspenter Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:11 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Erin!
This is an amazing addiction.
I hope it starts off easier for you than for me.
I have been face painting for 15 years.
I decided to strive to make a living doing face painting four years ago. The day that I said that out loud... two customers called that day and booked me for future events. The next year, my bookings DOUBLED! Yeah, I got four bookings. I made it my job to get each job. I worked 20 hours a week every week pounding the pavement and passing out business cards. I walked around with my face painted to go grocery shopping, banking, bowling. I practiced almost every night, teardrops, swirls, lines, starbursts, dots, portraits of Pashur. I played brush roulette for a whole summer.... I would close my eyes and grab a brush, any brush, and attempted to do teardrops with brushes... kabukis, 1"flats, rounds, filberts. Rake brushes are not so great at creating teardrops.

What I am trying to say is that it takes a lot of practice. The paint is not cheap. This was starting out to be a very expensive hobby until I began to paint and try to not spend every penny in new supplies. I took a workshop with Lynn McKay in November 2011, then, a Nick and Brian Wolfe workshop in February 2012 and Pashur in September 2012. I have learned SO much from the workshops.

There is a thread for newbies called Show and Tell. Enjoy reading and perusing the threads. I have learned a lot from this Forum, and I continue to learn.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by anramire2 Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:02 am

Waves hello Very Happy welcome
anramire2
anramire2

Number of posts : 853
Registration date : 2009-08-13

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/My-LoVe-for-ART/2104600

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie A Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Welcome to the forum DigitalDiva!
Alot of us newbies post pictures over in the "New to Face Painting" section to start with, then branch out from there. There is a "Show and Tell #1" and a "Show and Tell #2" and Newbie Challenges that you might like to look at and join in, love to have you! Very Happy

Lisa, you are awesome! Love how you share. Can just see you going around in facepaint...and the reactions...since so many people "pretend" you aren't there Laughing when you have facepaint on, but it obviously paid off for you!
Valerie A
Valerie A

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi there Very Happy
FessPenter is very wise, and kind. She has great insight. Welcome to the forum. I know you will find some inspiration and some friends here.
veelux
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:42 pm

Welcome, DigitalDiva! Wish I'd done this when I was your age but I went to college for nursing & only painted for friends after that. After I discovered FP'ing about 1.5 yrs ago, this was my go-to place for inspiration.
1- Listen to Fesspenter. If you can take any workshops, do it.
2- Do you live close enough to Ft. Lauderdale to take one of the "Pre-classes" @ FABAIC? (Face And Body Art International Convention) In May? That's 1:12 all day instruction & much less than the convention. It's run by Silly Farm. Look them up on the net. I took a pre-class last year w/Mark Reid & learned SO much!!!
3- Search for Lisa Joy Young & note all the other FP'ers on YouTube.
4- FPF is by far the best group for info/technique & bouncing around ideas. The Forum ROCKS!!!!
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by creativefunfaces Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Welcome!! Very Happy
As Pat said above^^^ I wish I had started at your age.^^
I did go to a fine art college, ... but then ended up going to medical school in the end. Now many many years later I have found a way to use my love of art.
This is an awesome place to learn!!

Amy cat
creativefunfaces
creativefunfaces

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2012-01-24

http://creativefunfaces.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PaolaSunglow Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Welcome!! cheers

Lisa thank you for adding your insight, that is an awesome idea to walk around with the face painted handing out card!! I love it!! I love you And the Brush roulette!! great idea!!
PaolaSunglow
PaolaSunglow

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://www.sunglowfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by A New Face Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:54 pm

fesspenter wrote:Welcome to the Forum, Erin!
This is an amazing addiction.
I hope it starts off easier for you than for me.
I have been face painting for 15 years.
I decided to strive to make a living doing face painting four years ago. The day that I said that out loud... two customers called that day and booked me for future events. The next year, my bookings DOUBLED! Yeah, I got four bookings. I made it my job to get each job. I worked 20 hours a week every week pounding the pavement and passing out business cards. I walked around with my face painted to go grocery shopping, banking, bowling. I practiced almost every night, teardrops, swirls, lines, starbursts, dots, portraits of Pashur. I played brush roulette for a whole summer.... I would close my eyes and grab a brush, any brush, and attempted to do teardrops with brushes... kabukis, 1"flats, rounds, filberts. Rake brushes are not so great at creating teardrops.

What I am trying to say is that it takes a lot of practice. The paint is not cheap. This was starting out to be a very expensive hobby until I began to paint and try to not spend every penny in new supplies. I took a workshop with Lynn McKay in November 2011, then, a Nick and Brian Wolfe workshop in February 2012 and Pashur in September 2012. I have learned SO much from the workshops.

There is a thread for newbies called Show and Tell. Enjoy reading and perusing the threads. I have learned a lot from this Forum, and I continue to learn.

Happy Painting!
cheers I am in Limbo, Right now I make more per hr painting, which is a very limited number of hrs than I do as a Nurse given at least 36 hs a week. I think I need to take the leap of faith and trust in the lord and practice and skill.
A New Face
A New Face

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2012-11-05

http://anewfacenikkiwalters.wix.com/anewface

Back to top Go down

Post by Katurah Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Welcome!! Very Happy
Katurah
Katurah

Number of posts : 1564