Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much would you charge??? For a Sugar Skull

+6
Manabanana
barbb919
Caswell Designs FP
Facepainting by Tina
kj
ARTSY LADY
10 posters

Go down

How much would you charge??? For a Sugar Skull  Empty How much would you charge??? For a Sugar Skull

Post by ARTSY LADY Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:10 pm

I got a call from a lady in her early 30 that is throwing an adult costume party. She would like me to paint her a sugar skull for that evening. Possibly her friend too. So my question to yall is How much do you normally charge for one face. Ive never done this needless to say so please all help and advice is very well apreciated.

Last edited by ARTSY LADY on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2012-06-02

Back to top Go down

How much would you charge??? For a Sugar Skull  Empty Re: How much would you charge??? For a Sugar Skull

Post by ARTSY LADY Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Oh by the way my sugar skulls are not the most impressive, I will attach a pic of my work. Thanks How much would you charge??? For a Sugar Skull  Dalia_10
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

How much would you charge??? For a Sugar Skull  Empty Re: How much would you charge??? For a Sugar Skull

Post by kj Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Last year I charged 20$ because I was just starting out and did not really know what I was doing. But a year later I have more confidence and have learned so much, and am now charging $30 or 35.

I like your skull, especially the spider. What were you thinking of charging?
kj
kj

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Well I did tell 20 plus mileage so She said I will Give you 30!!! I just didnt know how good or bad my skull was. I sent her some pics and she was pleased so. I settled with 30 and maybe her friend too!!!
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 am

I think your sugar skull looks amazing......looks just as good (if not better) than all the "professional" sugar skulls!!
Facepainting by Tina
Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:42 am

OH man that means a whole lot to me. Really I am a total new born at this I started in June I believe. Four months.!!!!! Thank you Tina
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by Caswell Designs FP Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:54 pm

I am charging between $25 and 30 each. I have a family of four I am painting on Saturday and estimated up to $120. I figure the two kids won't be as detailed as the parents. I set aside two hours, so am hoping it's enough time. I have only painted them on myself before, and once the base is on the rest tends to go fairly quickly.

You did a good job on yours, and I like the bit of shading from the web.
Caswell Designs FP
Caswell Designs FP

Number of posts : 584
Registration date : 2010-01-15

http://www.caswellfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:21 pm

I think your sugar skull looks great...
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Thank You Gals for the great comments. I figuered twenty was fair plus five for gas. She offered 30 so win win. Its next sat 27th her and her friend. So we shall see. Hope it goes great.!!
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:57 pm

I charge $35 for my Sugar Skulls and get copyrights to the photos that they get with the photographer I use too.

Your sugar skull is pretty awesome.
Manabanana
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:45 pm

I havent found a way to copyright them how shall I go about doing that. A cousin of mine is a photograper. Should she know how to do it? I would think so.
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:38 pm

For Halloween weekend, I take appointments in 1/2 hour slots at my apartment downtown. I charge a base of $40 per face with more if they want to head towards special Fx prosthetics or more intricate designs. I also take body paint bookings that day in hour slots.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Caswell Designs FP Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:05 pm

I hope it's okay to post this on the thread. This is the family I did on Saturday. They wanted me to use red as the color.
I had alotted two hours to paint all four, and it took me about 1 and 45 minutes.
I can see now things I would have done differently, but they were happy with everything. The little boy, I used starblends on because he was wiggly, and I had found a clip art image of a sugar skull spidey. They thought it was great because he had wanted to be a superhero to begin with, but mom wanted him in theme.

How much would you charge??? For a Sugar Skull  Sugar_10
Caswell Designs FP
Caswell Designs FP

Number of posts : 584
Registration date : 2010-01-15

http://www.caswellfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Cute spidey skull!! Time is money...I'd just reference your regular hourly party rate and base it on how much time you think you'll spend on a skull. I always like to suggest that they can come to my home to avoid the extra travel fees. They like to feel like they're saving a little money plus it saves me the drive time & gas! But your skull is awesome....definitely worth top dollar in my mind!
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ninaschau Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:52 pm

I think your skull looks great!, I am taking appointments on the 27th for the first time as well, and charging per my hourly rate, they are coming to my house. As I am fairly new my hourly now is 50 dollars at home, and I figure i do them in 30 mins. Next year my rate will go up, as I become more experienced like the rest of these fabulous painters. Hope that helps!
ninaschau
ninaschau

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2012-08-03

http://www.fantasyfacebyNina,com

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:30 pm

I think your skull looks great. You KNOW a good face will take 1/2 hr., so I would charge 1/2 of what a good hourly rate would be. I think you charged too low, especially with the travel, but I don't know what you can get in your area either.
Also, To Ninaschau - I can only see your Avatar as an example, but it looks like you're pretty good at painting. I feel it doesn't matter if you're "new" at it...if you can paint a good face in the alloted time, then you should get a good price for it, doesn't matter how long you've been doing it. Also, if you're already good and fast enough, then up your price now. I've been a designer/artist for 30 years in other industries. I've always felt it doesn't matter if you haven't been at something long..if you practised and can do it well, then charge the going rate right from the beginning! People don't care how new you are, only if you can do the job. Why wait till next year?
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ninaschau Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:24 pm

thanks Tina, I go back and forth in my head, I appreciate your input as a painter, and I will definetely reconsider my pricing Smile
ninaschau
ninaschau

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2012-08-03

http://www.fantasyfacebyNina,com

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Liz...that Sugar Skull family looks fabulous!!!!
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:06 am

Sorry guys Ive been in and out so quick Ive been working four days straight six hours a night at a haunted house nearby. Tina yes the whole fam. Looks great, and NInaschau, If thats your art skill on your avatar you are damn good!!!!!! Like Tinafrom NY said up your prices now or never!!!Do or die baby.!!!. Thanks all for the good compliments.
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down