Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Face painting add ons - hair accesories

+9
HillbillyDiva1
FacesBySarah
artyfacesbyluz
Taly
facesbybelle
ARTSY LADY
kj
Psalmbook
miss D
13 posters

Go down

Face painting add ons - hair accesories Empty Face painting add ons - hair accesories

Post by miss D Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:25 am

I've been reading a bit about hair feathers, hair tinsel and hair wraps but I haven't found a huge amount of info on the FPF. I would love it if you could share your experience in selling these items as part of face painting and what price you sell them for. Also do you use the ones that crimp in with a micro bead or the temporary clip in ones? I'd love to see some photos if anyone has any. Thanks!
miss D
miss D

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2012-08-17

Back to top Go down

Face painting add ons - hair accesories Empty Re: Face painting add ons - hair accesories

Post by Psalmbook Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:11 am

I'm able to do hair wraps, but I'm not super fast. I tried hair tinsel & have looked into feathers. I found that hair tinsel took too long & the wind often made me all thumbs. I'd rather be painting, knowing I can have a child in & out of my chair in 3-5 minutes. I was losing $ by losing painting time each time I did a hair tinsel.

Feathers are very popular & pretty easy to do. You need the right tolls & clips or the hair will be damaged & start to break. Some places, you have to have a cosmetology licence to do anything w/ hair.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Face painting add ons - hair accesories Empty Re: Face painting add ons - hair accesories

Post by miss D Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:16 am

Thanks Linda!
miss D
miss D

Back to top Go down

Post by kj Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 am

I sell hair flower clips for five dollars each.
kj
kj

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:55 pm

Funny You ask I swear I was thinking of doing tinsel yesterday.
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2012-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by facesbybelle Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:59 pm

I've done the tinsel, but it's just to much trouble for me. I'm still trying to get my speed up without messing up the design.
facesbybelle
facesbybelle

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2011-03-20

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Faces-by-Belle/20513790

Back to top Go down

Post by miss D Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Artsy Lady, isn't it funny when stuff like that happens Smile

My only concern is how to remove tinsel because its knotted into the hair
miss D
miss D

Back to top Go down

Post by Taly Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:58 pm

I was thinking about that too for my Fall Festival! I have done them for fun before at a cousins birthday as well as face painting. Its actually quite simple. There is a video on youtube that shows how easy it is... I also know that the girls that did them said that if done properly it stays on for at least a week and from washing it and brushing it falls out on its own. They are pretty cheap too! I bought them in spools of different colors. The good thing about the spools is that you can cut them for any hair length and it wont get tangled when kept on the spool.
You can buy them here: http://www.orientaltrading.com/api/search?Ntt=hair+tinsel
Taly
Taly

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by miss D Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:12 am

Taly wrote:I was thinking about that too for my Fall Festival! I have done them for fun before at a cousins birthday as well as face painting. Its actually quite simple. There is a video on youtube that shows how easy it is... I also know that the girls that did them said that if done properly it stays on for at least a week and from washing it and brushing it falls out on its own. They are pretty cheap too! I bought them in spools of different colors. The good thing about the spools is that you can cut them for any hair length and it wont get tangled when kept on the spool.
You can buy them here: http://www.orientaltrading.com/api/search?Ntt=hair+tinsel

I've just checked that out, do you get all 6 colours as one set? Can you tell me how long it takes you to put one in?
miss D
miss D

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:48 am

Another one good piece of info for me would be how much to charge. How much does it normally cost, not our cost but to the customer.
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by Taly Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:33 am

Yes one set has all 6 colors. If the child is still I can do it in about 1 min. each strand. It depends on how many strands they get... Usually I don't do more than 6 strands 3 on each side. here is what you should use to make it a bit easier...

Face painting add ons - hair accesories Apply2

I recommend putting it on top of the head instead of under the hair and using a thinner strand of hair. Its called a hair extension shield I bought a 6 pack from etsy.com for about $3.00.

I haven't charged customers yet since I only did it for fun... But I think for the Festival I'm going to charge $1.00 per strand. And maybe a bling combo of one small glitter tattoo and 4 hair tinsel strands for $5.00. something like that... We'll see how it goes. Wink
Taly
Taly

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:35 am

I dont know Taly that seems a little low of a price for a BLING combo. Correct me if im wrong, I dont do glitter tattos nor do I do hair tinsel, but if I go along with it I would like to get more that one dollar per strand. The physical labor of putting them in is what I think needs a higher price.
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:17 am

In my own experience hair tinsel don't sell as much as feathers, I bought 3 tinsel colors 1 year ago and I only have sold $4 dollars of it, but I sell at least 2 feathers every time I am doing PPF, something that sells a lot around here is 1 color braid made with different colors of kanekalon fiber Africans sell it at $7 dollars each and you can sea at least one on every girl you see on the street, I already bought the fiber, what I don't know is how to store it. [img]Face painting add ons - hair accesories 29295310[/img]
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:42 pm

That fiber do you knot it at top then braid or just braid it in?
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by FacesBySarah Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:50 pm

I do hair tinseling as an add-on at birthday parties. It is a pretty big hit around here. I find that after doing a few you can get really fast at it. I charge an extra $10 an hour on my FP rate, since I find the product to be really quite cheap and as I said I don't take too much time to do it. The birthday girl gets 4 strands (2 on each side) and the rest of the party guests each get 2. It is really pretty and the girls all love it.
FacesBySarah
FacesBySarah

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyDiva1 Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Very first thing you need to check is if you can legally do it in your state. Here in Missouri there is a very stiff fine if they catch you putting anything in the hair without a cosmetology license. Having been a cosmetologist I would think you need a new shield for each child. Working with hair can be dicey too. If you find the kid your working on has lice you have to close the line disinfect everything and check everyone's head in your tent before reopening.
HillbillyDiva1
HillbillyDiva1

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2011-09-04

http://www.gandgfaceandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:30 pm

ARTSY LADY wrote:That fiber do you knot it at top then braid or just braid it in?
You knot the fiber and then braid the hair with it, end it up with a bead.
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:08 pm

HillbillyDiva, that got me worried! Crying or Very sad Although not that I come to think of it If I do end up needing a licence I have a friend that just graduated Cosmetology School. The lice thing really does freak me out.
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by miss D Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:33 am

I bought a few hair feathers and I sold 2 at a market I did on the weekend. They are sooo easy to put in. I didn't have it very well advertised because it was last minute but if I promote them more I'm sure I'll sell more. My advice would be to buy a small amount and see how they go
miss D
miss D

Back to top Go down

Post by seekorka Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:12 am

I used Kanekalon - it is material for wig and hair clips.
I love it! So much colors and types! And I can curl them by hot watter od hot curler.
And so long, sometime and some types 2 meters.

This is all of kanekalon hair:

Face painting add ons - hair accesories Muses210

Face painting add ons - hair accesories Secese10

Face painting add ons - hair accesories Banshe10

Face painting add ons - hair accesories Kaneka10

Face painting add ons - hair accesories Practi10

Face painting add ons - hair accesories Finish10
And video from competition :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWQyTZxREcg :-D
seekorka
seekorka

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MoMoMac Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Holy cow, thats fantastic seekorka!!!

MoMoMac

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2012-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by ladysinaz Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:27 pm

MoMoMac wrote:Holy cow, thats fantastic seekorka!!!

Agreed Very Happy

Around here it's really the hair dressers that get into that
ladysinaz
ladysinaz

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2012-08-11

http://www.maguscorium.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seekorka Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:32 am

"holly cow" lol Very Happy
I had idea...but the last was really hard work.
I find some pics at home. How look it without Isabellas head Very Happy
It is not heavy weight, but not practical - in the door, on toillet etc :-D

This is pics from first test of "gothic" motives.
Hair stylist doesnt come Sad So this is model Lenka without hairdressing.
It is not good, not pretty what I want from this bodypainting Sad
We painted outside in park. 3x rained this day. So cold. So bad for colors Sad
Since this day I already make hairdressing.

Face painting add ons - hair accesories _dsc0910

Really really love kanekalon!
You can make this one too Smile

Face painting add ons - hair accesories Hair10

Curling kanekalon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiYWCL3J0ks&feature=plcp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAMf2y7mojQ&feature=plcp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXZKkp0oAlg&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8NfttZ8CV0
seekorka
seekorka

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:56 am

I did tinsel for a short while but stopped when I encountered my first case of nits - it's pretty rampant in summer here. There are stalls here completely devoted to hair feathers and they are super busy - I'd think it would be better to have one person on hair one on painting as it is time consuming to skip between each.
JBM
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down