Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pooling tips together when working with multiple artists

+11
MoMoMac
Shelley Bellefontaine
CottonKandyClown
TinafromNY
anniel
JJJJJ
Gretchen
Lady Jayde
HillbillyDiva1
wmeventservices
Face Painting by Jessica
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pooling tips together when working with multiple artists Empty Pooling tips together when working with multiple artists

Post by Face Painting by Jessica Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:12 am

I worked a large event with a group of painters this week where we were paid hourly, but we were also accepting tips. This was my first time working with them so I wasn't aware that at the end of the day we all put our tips together and split them evenly...

I actually refused, partly because I was a bit surprised that they just assumed I would be ok with it, but mostly because I feel that if tipping is optional, it is considered a gift. I don't think anyone should have to share their gift, especially if they earned it.

A man asked me if I had change for $100, when I asked how much he wanted back he said, "$80"! I painted a butterfly on his daughter but I spoke with her the whole time, answered his questions about removal, paint safety, and such and such...

So I felt like I had pushed my customer service to the limit and it paid off. If we had a large tip jar in the middle rather than individual ones I would understand, but these gratuities were definitely personalized to the artist.

I wasn't selfish either, for all I know the other artists made a killing more than I did. I don't think it's anyone's business who made what, I just think that whatever you got you deserved.

What do you think? Have you worked in situations like this before? Was I out of line?
Face Painting by Jessica
Face Painting by Jessica

Number of posts : 644
Registration date : 2012-04-12

http://www.facepaintingbyjessica.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Pooling tips together when working with multiple artists Empty Re: Pooling tips together when working with multiple artists

Post by wmeventservices Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:25 am

Tips should never be done that way in my opinion. When a customer places a tip in YOUR jar, they are acknowledging YOUR quality and efforts, not the quality of the group. I wouldn't have done it either.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Pooling tips together when working with multiple artists Empty Re: Pooling tips together when working with multiple artists

Post by Face Painting by Jessica Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks for your input Whitney, that's how I felt too.

I told them that if a customer put a $20 in their jar there's no way I would expect any of it! If I walk away with nothing at the end of the day, I better start brushing up on my skills/friendliness. I'm not going to assume I get anything but my hourly pay... I think I would feel almost belittled to ask the others for tips...
Face Painting by Jessica
Face Painting by Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyDiva1 Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:51 am

So many people don't understand tipping these days. Tipping is gauged by two things customer service and % of bill. If I get bad service at a restaurant, salon, or even face painter I don't tip. Never be afraid not to tip if you have bad service. For good to great service 15% to 20% of total bill. You and I both know people that tip us do it randomly. You can paint the same $5 butterfly on 2 different kids and 1 parent will tip you $1 and the next will tip you $5. Many more people either never tip or only tip waitresses. My hairdresser is always surprised when we tip her and that's a big shame.
HillbillyDiva1
HillbillyDiva1

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2011-09-04

http://www.gandgfaceandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:56 am

So what's your take on the tip pool HillbyillyDiva? Should the tip be for the artist or the group?

I worked in restaurants and your tips were always your tips. If another waitress was rude to customers or was just plain bad at her job, we weren't expected to compensate for the lack of tips. Those girls usually got fired, actually.
Face Painting by Jessica
Face Painting by Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyDiva1 Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Tips are for customer service your great service your tip! I only split tips with my Daughter and that's only because she would get the money out of me anyway. Even grown up they still find ways.
HillbillyDiva1
HillbillyDiva1

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2011-09-04

http://www.gandgfaceandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:40 pm

I agree. Your tips are separate from your face painting proceeds. I've had a festival organizer try to make a play for my lovely brimming tip jar when he came in to collect his 10% at the end of the night and we had a nice discussion about how the tips were not part of the agreement, but my net proceeds were. When I explained to him that if he didn't weild a brush and help me paint for 7 hours with one bathroom break, then it stands to reason that any gratuities for good service would belong to the person rendering the service...greedy twit.

You did right by refusing to drop your tips in a jar and split them...that anyone would even ask is rediculous! Good for you!
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Yeah, that is absolutely ridiculous!! Your tips are your individual reward for the extra effort that YOU put into your customer service and your work. Why would any of the artists really even strive to go the extra mile if they know everyone else will get a piece of their rewards? Ugh. I'm glad to hear you refused!
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks everyone, I questioned my decision when I got home and figured I'd ask you all today. I feel good about what I did.
Face Painting by Jessica
Face Painting by Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Did the other painters give you any grief?
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:45 pm

I would have done just like you. Your tips are for you!

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Ditto here...
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Tip are YOURS, you got that big tip cause the guy liked either YOUR service or how YOU handled his child...it had nothing to do with the other painters.
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:45 pm

When I go to a restaurant that I know pools the tips, I'm less likely to tip big. I probably don't even tip 10%.

Anywhere else is different. If I have a wonderful waiter or waitress then I tip well anywhere from 30-50%. If I have bad customer service with no apologies then I don't tip.
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Wow , what nerve of the other painters. I would never think of asking everyone to split their tips!!! I am glad you stood your ground, you did nothing wrong, that was YOUR money YOU earned. Don't think twice about it Very Happy
Shelley Bellefontaine
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Most painters didn't say anything. We were working for the one artist's company so I guess you could say we were employees and thats just what they've been taught to do. I'm glad I stood my ground awsell... Like I said, I may have ended up with less than them. Nothing selfish about it, I just believe that what you got, you earned.

Thanks all.
Face Painting by Jessica
Face Painting by Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:23 pm

Jessica...you should stand up and take a bow. I am so proud of you. You rock girl.
How dare they even suggest that or make the others feel like they needed to share and pool tips.
That is outragous and good for you for stnading up for your rights and hopefully the other ladies will realize that it isn;t a must in the industry.
Cheers to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by MoMoMac Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:53 pm

I've worked in the service industry for a long time and have seen times and places where it did make a lot of sence and was only fair to split tips. Those are situations that everyone works as a team to get the entire job done. Places where a bad position for example could earn you nothing, but is just as important and takes just as much effort as the person "out front".
This was not one of those situations. Good for you, and I bet the other painters will follow suit.

MoMoMac

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2012-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:04 am

I'm thankful for everyone's support Smile

What lovely postings to wake up to!
Face Painting by Jessica
Face Painting by Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post by facetheart Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:37 pm

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by facetheart on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
facetheart
facetheart

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2011-03-28

http://www.facetheart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:59 pm

tips belong to YOU. if you, in turn, want to tip someone who was overly helpful to YOU, it should be at your discretion.
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:40 pm

I firmly believe the tip is intended for the individual who performed the service. Frankly, if it is obvious tips are pooled I often will not tip. If the person that served me doesn`t get the entire reward I want to give them then why bother...

Being part of a team who provides a service is not how face painting happens IMO - only one person painted the person who gave the tip, right? So the tip belongs to THEM no one else. If people wish to share their tips it is up to them to make a decision to share IF THEY CHOOSE.

I would be mightily pissed off if told I had to pool my tips.

Back to top Go down

Post by facetheart Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:51 pm

It doesn't bother me to split my tips at all I want people to all feel good about themselves and I am fine with painting an amazing face and I get a huge tip and I share it with my colleagues it doesn't bother me at all. If I painted an awesome face that I am told is amazing thats good enough for me.
facetheart
facetheart

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2011-03-28

http://www.facetheart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Well, as Shannon said, that's good ... for YOU. For a lot of us being forced to pool hard earned gratuities is not about fun and good will...it's about taking what doesn't belong to you and distributing it to others who haven't earned I too get great pleasure from knowing that I rocked a face out...but that feeling doesn't in any way shape or form entice me to want to split my tips. You just have to do you and everybody else will do the same. To each his/her own.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:42 pm

I don't know why, but this thread bothers me! LOL Razz

If I painted a face for, let's say 20 minutes and someone else painted another person for 5 minutes. I think I should be rewarded the bigger tip(if someone tipped me). No way would I share. That's like saying a manager should share their wages with the other lower money making employees.

I have had some crappy waiters in some restaurants and I've had some great service. It would tick me off if I tipped a great waiter for their service and he had to share with the bum waiter out back. Rolling Eyes

I think tips are like apart of etiquette for a service. queen

The other way around...If I painted with a higher "master" painter, in no way would I expect them to hand their tip over to me Laughing
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next