Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Face Painting for Halloween Costumes

+3
PerfectlyPaintedFaces
fesspenter
vinnie
7 posters

Go down

Face Painting for Halloween Costumes Empty Face Painting for Halloween Costumes

Post by vinnie Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:09 pm

So I know it's not Halloween yet, but it's coming up fast! Just the other day I was at Michael's and they were already selling Halloween stuff! Anyways, last Halloween I was appoarched by a few people to paint them for Halloween, and I wanted to advertise it on my website. Do any of you do this? How much would you charge? I know it's a tough question because it depends on what you're painting. But let's just say, what would the average price be for a full detailed face?

I got a lot of requests for this sugar skull, but I was so busy last Halloween that I wasn't available to do any of them. Would love to know what you all suggest. Thanks!!!!

Face Painting for Halloween Costumes Sugar_10
vinnie
vinnie

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2010-08-27

http://www.colormefacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Face Painting for Halloween Costumes Empty Re: Face Painting for Halloween Costumes

Post by fesspenter Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Dear Vinnie:
Last Halloween, I took bookings on the Saturday before Halloween. I charged $100 per hour.
For instance, if the above face took 20 minutes to do, I would charge $30-$40 for that Sugar Skull.
I charge $10-$20 per child's face, depending upon complexity of design. A full-body Avatar took an hour and a half and I charged $150, plus an application of Ben Nye Final Seal for $30.
I put some unsuccessful ads on Craiglist and received some hilarious responses that will forever be scored into my memory (as in the man who wanted me to "paint his weenie"). I got some great responses from Kijiji. I got 8 people, one at a time, all staff members from a restaurant who were working and did not want a complicated costume that would hamper their work ethic.
I worked from 10am until about 9:30pm.
I had figured out a median in how long it takes me to paint a leg, or an arm, or a face, and add about 15 minutes, and charge them an estimated $100/hour.
This all took place in my husbands' studio. I played music and provided some noshies (mostly for me). I served tasty beverages that were non-alcoholic, because I cannot drink and paint.
Happy Halloween Painting!
I will not be home for Halloween this year. I will be in the Florida Keys doing face and body painting.
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Face Painting for Halloween Costumes Empty Re: Face Painting for Halloween Costumes

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm already taking appointments (had seven book last year for this year).

Pricing is on a scale depending on age and level of work involved. All my prices are based on them coming to me at my location.

Children 12 and under. Face paint to match costume: $10
Teens 13-17: $15
Adults: Face paint only: $25; Face make-up with one sfx: $50; Full package - make-up and multiple sfx, hair: $100

Custom work if I need to make things ahead of time is extra.

100% of my customers are adults for the appointments.

Back to top Go down

Post by vinnie Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Thank you ladies for the response! Very Happy
vinnie
vinnie

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2010-08-27

http://www.colormefacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:04 pm

I actually just put up a Halloween make-up section on my website yesterday!

This will be my first year doing it, so I'm trying to keep prices low and see how it goes.

Here's my page: http://perfectlypaintedfaces.webs.com/halloween-make-up

I still need to paint some examples to put on there, but there's plenty of time till Halloween to do that. Smile
PerfectlyPaintedFaces
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintedFaces Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks from me too. I still struggle with setting prices for single adult makeup requests. I just had a request for a masquerade mask. I wasn't available anyway, so I turned it down, but honestly? I had no idea what to charge. She lived 70km from me!
PaintedFaces
PaintedFaces

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2012-06-29

http://www.paintedfaces.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:22 pm

I find it simplest to just charge for my time, no matter what the subject matter, age, amount of detail, etc. Last year I was asked to paint "Father & Mother Frost," for the santa and Mrs Claus that I work with every Christmas. It was my first "private session," and I was super nervous...there was a lot of pressure since they were entering themselves in some big contest. To my delight they won the grand prize! Yahoo! Anyway, ever since then I put up a "private sessions" section on my website. I did a mask on myself and put that on the page too, as I also have had a few requests for masquerade bachelorette parties. None of them have worked out yet but I got enough requests, it seemed to fit! The way I figure my pricing is the same as my regular gigs, $75 for the first hour and $60 each additional if I come to them (plus travel if it's more than 30 minutes away). If they come to my house though, which saves me time and gas, I'll just do a flat $60 per hour. That makes it really easy to figure the final cost in the end when it's $1 per minute. If it's a belly painting or something like that where I spend additional hours designing the art beforehand and taking photos for them afterward, it costs more, but this is what I've been doing so far!
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie's Faces Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:26 am

Thank you for the ideas! I like the charge per hour idea... Otherwise it gets too complicated. I'm delighted you had luck with Craigslist. I'll try that. And make a flyer to hang around the county as well.
Happy weekend all!
Jamie's Faces
Jamie's Faces

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-08-09

http://www.jamies-faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:39 pm

For Halloween charging by the hour is problematic.

If you are taking individual appointments, as I do, the vast majority of them are well less than an hour to complete. And it limits my income ... I make WAY more than my hourly rate over the Halloween weekend.

When I book appointments I book in 30 minute increments (doubling up couples, etc, in the same slot) I give them a price based on what they say they want and block the time required (if an hour job I block of an hour).

People always bring along friends with them that want to get their make-up done too, so they get squeezed in... my studio begins to look like a doctors waiting room as people arrive early, linger after they are done to watch the next person, the tag alongs...

So I charge for the service not the time. It greatly enhances the money earning potential.

If someone wantS to book me to go to them - I do the make-up for a haunted house on the Saturday morning - then I charge my hourly rate with the two-hour minimum. I won't take other hourly bookings that weekend generally as it limits the amount I will earn.

Back to top Go down

Post by paintedskinfx Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:47 pm

I charge $20 per design if they come to me. If I go to them, then I add extra for mileage.
paintedskinfx
paintedskinfx

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-04-08

http://www.paintedskinfx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down