Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Body Painting Tips

5 posters

Go down

Body Painting Tips Empty Body Painting Tips

Post by JBax Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:31 pm

I'm taking the plunge and am doing my first ever bodypainting session on Sunday. Very artsy. Another painter I recently met had to back out, so I offered, and am now terrified and excited at the same time!

So:
Paint, check
Idea, almost check... few things to work out still
Figure model, check
Awsome photographers, check, and check
Brownies and milk, check

Now.. Is there anything I need to be aware of, plan for, keep in mind when doing this? I'll only be doing his torso, arms and face. We'll start at noon, and I'd really like to be done by 6. To be honest, he reminds me of Zoolander, but I'm happy to have an artsy crowd to work with.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Body Painting Tips Empty Re: Body Painting Tips

Post by Kristal Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Wow! I've yet to do full out body-painting, so I can't think of anything else, but...HAVE FUN! Show us pictures!
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:51 pm

Torso, arms and face should be done in WAAAYYY less than 6 hours... unless you design is extremely intricate and detailed.

Use really large sponges - I cut those large car wash sponges into about 5 chunks for body painting. They fit really nice in my hand to cover large areas with colour.

Use large brushes too... makes life simpler!

Rough out your design on the model with a white eyeliner pencil - helps a lot with placement. Just paint over it.

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:58 pm

Thanks Sharon. I think the painting should take WAY less too. I think I'm going to go with a portrait of Medusa on his back, some of the snakes are going to work their way tot he front. I"m not planning on covering all of his skin with paint at this point, but the large sponge is a great tip. I got a couple from the dollar store after you posted that tip once before, but hadn't done anything yet.

But there are two photographers going to shoot him after, so who knows how long that will take.

Question? For the competitions... all those models have paint on their tushies. Does potty breaks ruin your work? Toilet seat marks? Moving the already painted undies? How does one handle those types of delicacies?
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:07 am

Potty breaks? Body Painting Tips Icon_lol They don't get them!! Usually I start on top or the legs... leave the butt for last, then they get "last chance until it's all over". Once it is painted... that's it!

I've had really great models with good bladder control.

It is possible (and experienced models can do it) to shift the thong to go, or, if using medical tape or one of those genital sheilds, you can take it off, replace it and repaint.

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:22 am

New question: How do you cover tatoos? I think my model has dark tribal tats right where I want to paint.

So I practiced on my husband last night. It's been years since I've painted a portrait, and never on skin. Plus I wanted to try out that scales idea of Gary Cole that photomama shared. Good thing I did. I learned that if you paint someone leaning over, with their back rounded, the picture is slightly distorted when they sit upright, which is why Medusa has a little bit of a Jay Leno chin. And I think the scales look good.

I got too sleepy and didn't finish the snakes. I only got a start on the eyes on some. So, any suggestions?
Body Painting Tips Medusa10Body Painting Tips Medusa11
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:39 pm

Were you using punchinella? That's excellent.

Depending on the colour of the tattoo... it may or may not be fine with just the facepaint. Some, do, however show through.

I use Tattoo Inks in flesh tones and neutralizing colours to cover tattoos. Once they are dry you can paint over them no problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:52 pm

LOL... I had to google punchinella... so no. I used a mesh garmet bag for washing delicates, that I store/dry my sponges in.

Tattoo ink, huh? Is that expensive or hard to get?
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:23 am

JBax you will have fun!!! Love your Medusa!!! Adults can be fun-ner to paint since they usually have more self control and ability to hold still and communicate with you.

Yes. A torso should be no more than an hour to an hour and a half depending on the detail/intricacy of the designs. And guys makes it even quicker - no pasties to align and adhese or worry about the paint color looking different on in photos! Will there be chest hair? Hope not! could slow you down.

I find a few things help me on a multi model paint:

=music helps me get in a natural rhythm or flow of painting (and can help model be more mentally distracted) esp in a time crunch and I can work faster and be expected to talk less
=water for me (2 bottles -one for pouring if there isn't good water access and one for drinking!) and lite snacks/beverages for model(s) should be available and hopefully not your responsibility
=a flat black sheet or two so no paint gets on unwanted surfaces
=make sure room is not too drafty for model since paint is wet and cold as it dries and they are already feeling naked
=ask occasionally if they are comfortable so they can shake, walk, change positions, stretch (to avoid passing out, leg/arm cramp or shakiness
=hair spray or barrier spray to protect the painting when complete
=make sure to discuss or print out removal instructions with your model (some people print the removal how to 's on the back of their cards
=camera with batteries fully charged and enough memory
=GPS (my new best friend) or google map if I don't know the exact way to get there (I use the google map printout notes section to keep all my details of client name, payment arrangement, occasion, address/phone etc...)
=copy of contract (just in case)
=business cards!!! more opportunities to network with artists, photogs, models. event planners and guests at an artsy or adult event
=make sure they have a table for your paint supplies at the locale
=ask the photog to get a pic of you with the model for your portfolio!

Shannon's idea of different shaped sculpted larger sponges WORKS and IS REALLY helpful in getting the paint on QUICK!!!
WyndyO
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:50 am

There should someone in Indianapolis that carries tattoo inks. Temptu, Reel Creations, Kryolan B.I.C. are all brands. They activate with 99% alcohol, dry completely and can be painted over easily.

Not cheap... but it also lasts for years... you don't use much.

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:02 am

Thanks!

Had a great time! Threw out the Medusa, will re-approach another day. Since I had private studio space this time, I opted for a little UV action to experiment. I went with a Jester with a diamond Harlequin pattern, and made a ruffle style collar out of some fabric I had, and a septar thing. Very cool.

A local painter told me it would take me twice as long as I thought it would, and it did! Holy cow it took forever, and i even made a stencil of the diamond shape. I would guess 40+ diamonds, little circles on the tops and bottoms, outlined in blue, chest, back, arm, legs, face mask. I did his hair, and made his costume (of sorts). Then my husband did the shoot. We were there for 8 hours (I had expected 6 max). It makes me want to invest in an airbrush set-up. That might have been faster?

Now I wait on husband to edit and I'll share something suitable for mass consumption (it was an artsy piece and the model was nekkid, he wanted portfolio work).
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:39 pm

So, here's examples of the finished product to share. I learnd to plan a long time. Ask the forum for lots of advise well in advance. Black Light is wicked hard to photograph in, but gets awesome results when you can get the shot (even with a flash). As with everything artsy I do, I'm somewhat satisfied, but would do something differently if I could do it over. Ah, such is life. But, I do have another body to do soon and need to invest in nipple convers!

Body Painting Tips Ddiabl10

Body Painting Tips Ddiabl11
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:04 pm

I paint a body about once a week and there are a hundred other things to think about. WendyO made some great suggestions - and yep it always takes longer most especially when your new.

I wanted to note that yes your model can and should indeed tat a bathroom break. Make sure they go before you start and if they have to go during or after they just have to be careful and if the paint job gts messed up - hey it's paint fix it if you can and if you can't - oh well. Rarely, rarely have I had a model mess up the paint.

Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:09 pm

Well, I didn't think there were evil body painters running around making those poor models hold their bladders all day, Evil or Very Mad I was just curious if there were any trade secrets on the matter. Very Happy

As far as the model Diablo goes, I didn't paint his tushy, and I frequently offered him breaks, but he didn't want any. He's a form model by profession, so I guess he's used to it. I thought I'd go easy on my self and do geometric, be faster. Woah, was I wrong! Lining up those dang diamonds and evenly spacing them... probably would have been faster to paint all those snakes.

BUT... (no pun intended) I have my first bodypaint-for-hire job next month! I'll be working with another more experienced painter, so I'm sure I'll learn a lot! I'm very excited!
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:04 am

Re evil painters refusing to give breaks; yes there ARE! At some of the big comps I have heard them be really mean to models (I was painting nearby), its shocking. What really annoyed a lot of us is despite the judges seeing & even receiving this bad behaviour the artists scored really well....

I have a pdf of FAQs i send to models before I paint them as it helps give them a clue as to what to expect and also covers what knickers etc work, to bring a straw/ sippy cup (incase I forget) old clothes; what to do/ not to do in prep etc.

Re loo breaks messing designs; I usually leave knicker area undetailed, if already base colour coated, as late as poss as getting everything re-aligned even if nt smudged takes time. Mark r suggest girls pull aside their knickers. Is usually fine either way anyway.

I also try to plan for model comfort as much as poss - e'g' will often paint as much of front as I can with them lying down, then have them sit/ rest on stuff as long as poss. Helps avoid faints too.

Cat x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down