Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Opportunity vs Run Away Fast???

+3
leapinglizards
Kat's FacesForFun
Affordable Face Magic
7 posters

Go down

Great Opportunity vs  Run Away Fast??? Empty Great Opportunity vs Run Away Fast???

Post by Affordable Face Magic Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Contacted someone re: FPing @ new event in our area...midweek Green Market in renovated downtown area. Produce spots cost $130/month. I got this reply:
"We received your inquiry re: performing. We are interested in having you @ the Green Market to face paint & we may be able to offer you a spot on select dates July-Sept. In your genre, we do not pay a performer's fee but offer space & allow performers to advertise & keep all tips received."
PRO: 1- Regular, HIGH visibility downtown, 5-8pm 1day/wk. (my 1st summer FPing)
2- No fee from me.
CON: 1-Worked for tips one day in the mall @ a restaurant: $30.00 ALL DAY!!!!!
*could have done better outside the restaurant's half wall (poor visibility)
2- If I can't post a fee, afraid people will line up for (in their mind) free FPing.
Thought I'd e-mail back re: possibility of posting a price next to my board of sample pics. I know some of you work @ green markets. Any advice? Thanks!
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Great Opportunity vs  Run Away Fast??? Empty Re: Great Opportunity vs Run Away Fast???

Post by Kat's FacesForFun Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:50 pm

Wow. I have seen a lot of posts lately about Farmers' Markets. They really don't get it. This seems so crazy to me that people think face painters are street performers who "work for tips". It's crazy! It's a business, people! It brings value to your event! It's not like we are standing on a podium in silver paint with a tip jar. You deserve to be paid for your time. I, personally, have NEVER had success working for tips. Other than charity, I can't even think of a circumstance where I would choose to do so. If I only get tips, then the event organizer pays me to be there... period.

Definitely feel out the organizer and explain the overhead involved with face painting... IE:supplies, advertising, insurance. Maybe she would accept you offering $5 faces or something.

Good luck!
Kat's FacesForFun
Kat's FacesForFun

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2011-09-12

http://www.facepaintingkat.com

Back to top Go down

Great Opportunity vs  Run Away Fast??? Empty Re: Great Opportunity vs Run Away Fast???

Post by leapinglizards Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:18 pm

You COULD try this.....

"As a courtesy, the ______ farmers market has sponored us to be here with a free space. Because our materials and training cost money, we suggest a gratuity of $5 - $15 per face, and we invite you to give what you can and enjoy your day!"

This way, people get an idea of approproate range.

I made (A VERY GOOD) living doing readings (Palm, Tarot) on tips only HOWEVER we had a sign that said basically exactly that. Anytime someone would ask How Much I would say "We are not paid to be here, it's done on a gratuity bases,m the average people leave is $X - $X and it is whatever you feel is right.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:30 pm

I love the suggested tip idea & you phrased it so well!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:57 pm

I personally wouldn't do it, unless I have a lot of Saturdays open with no work, and a very prominent sign that read 'paid in tips.' or something of the like.
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat's FacesForFun Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:12 pm

Yeah. I've tried the suggested tip thing too. Didn't work for me. In Utah, if someone doesn't HAVE to pay for something, they won't. It may be different where you are, though. We're a very frugal state.
Kat's FacesForFun
Kat's FacesForFun

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2011-09-12

http://www.facepaintingkat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:13 am

mmm.. I think that it's much more the environment than the state.. a farmers market.. you might get $1 a face.. a fest(with tips only) you're more likely to get $5 a face..or more. it just depends... Restaurants and the like.. expect little to no tips, unless it is a sit down establishment.
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks to all of you that responded. Although Ashley & Katrina are probably right, I'm going to take leapinglizards advice & try this out a few times. Getting recognized by the people that book events in this town is worth a lot to me. If I get a few private parties AND some tips...totally worth it. There's a lot of $/events around here & I'm the new kid on the block. You're right, Linda...Dean phrased it so well, I made it my own & went w/it. Thanks, Dean!!!
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by JZino Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:56 pm

leapinglizards wrote:You COULD try this.....

"As a courtesy, the ______ farmers market has sponored us to be here with a free space. Because our materials and training cost money, we suggest a gratuity of $5 - $15 per face, and we invite you to give what you can and enjoy your day!"

This way, people get an idea of approproate range.

I made (A VERY GOOD) living doing readings (Palm, Tarot) on tips only HOWEVER we had a sign that said basically exactly that. Anytime someone would ask How Much I would say "We are not paid to be here, it's done on a gratuity bases,m the average people leave is $X - $X and it is whatever you feel is right.

I love this idea and I might have to steal it the next time I find myself dealing with the same frustrations as the OP.

I'd say, if you really need the local exposure, take the gig. Only for a definite period of time though. Don't let the market assume that you are always willing to work gratis.
JZino
JZino

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-09-20

http://www.jzino-bodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Yeah, I like the sign idea. I'd even shorten it more so people are more likely to read the whole thing... simply "suggested donation/tip: $5 cheek art $15 full-face" or something like that. Much like you may see at some zoos, museums, and even church family meals. They have a suggested amount per person or whatever, but they won't turn you away if you don't have it. It's all in the wording then to work around their rules and still include your preferred rates! If they want to make you sign some kind of contract, I'd make sure you have an out so that if you don't at least make "x" amount, enough to make it profitable for you, by a certain date, you have a right to bow out.
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Good idea, Gretchen. I was wondering how to handle it if the worst case scenario happened. That's something I've learned from so many of you here on FPF. Think ahead, ask the ? & get it in writing. Seems to cut down on possible problems later.
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:27 pm

OK, heard back from the community event co-ordinator after I sent an e-mail asking if I could use a sign next to the tip jar...thank you leapinglizard for the appropriate wording. This was her reply:

"Hi Pat,

Any time a vendor charges, whether it be by suggestion or an advertised fixed price, they must apply to be at the GreenMarket as an Activity Vendor. You can apply to become an Activity Vendor at the GreenMarket via this link: ..."

My 1st inquiry WAS to that site re: wether they still had openings for vendors, sent to the correct person & passed on, apparently, to the entertainment co-ordinator.

I reread the application & noticed a tel.# for an even better event.
Plan B: Called & left message for person in charge of bigger, better weekly event attended ...by children too!

Plan A: Still check out Green Market tomorrow, paying attention to demographics. You never know. The bigger event may be closed & I may use this one to get my foot in the door for next year, OR it could be a good event. EITHER WAY, I won't be working for tips.
Trying hard to market myself by:
passing out business cards to "target market", volunteered at my grandkids schools, spoke w/Managers of local restaurants & still going to local weekly gig @ bounce house/party place. Just got an inquiry re: a birthday party. Thanks FPF. I'm so grateful for your advice...and for all the laughs, esp. Miss Ronnie!!!
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down