Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Newbie to the Forum From Atlanta Area

+3
Kris5115
Miss Ronnie
Face it!
7 posters

Go down

Another Newbie to the Forum From Atlanta Area Empty Another Newbie to the Forum From Atlanta Area

Post by Face it! Wed May 30, 2012 8:14 pm

Hello! I joined this site a few years ago, but only dabbled in face painting at the time. I am ready to pursue this as a full time career.
I have done (recently) one paid gig, and countless painting on neighborhood kids and my own kids. I have worked professionally as an artist for over 20 years, but never on skin! My medium was textiles, and that work and industry has fizzled. I am quite ready for this change.
Do you think it is to my advantage to find a nearby facepainter that is established and see if I could apprentice with that person for an hourly rate, or is it better to just jump right in, get insurance, advertise, etc.and go at it on my own?
I don't feel confident enough to charge the rates that some of the locals are charging per hour and also don't want to undercut anyone.
I am in the need of getting this going quickly as I just lost an additional source of income that I had. I just don't know whether to go at it on my own, or apprentice, or both maybe? Meaning apprentice but also try to get some of my own gigs? Thank you for your advice confused , there are so many talented people on this forum!
Question
Face it!
Face it!

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-06-17

Back to top Go down

Another Newbie to the Forum From Atlanta Area Empty Re: Another Newbie to the Forum From Atlanta Area

Post by Miss Ronnie Thu May 31, 2012 7:22 am

I'm betting you are much better than you think... everyone's confidence is shaky at first.

You definitely would get practice being an apprentice for another painter, but then you will not have the opportunity to promote yourself, since they would most likely not want you to pass out your business card at their venues.

I say throw caution to the wind and just start building your business now. Keep practicing on your kids and the neighbors ... that's priceless experience.

Oh, and I didn't get insurance until this year!
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Another Newbie to the Forum From Atlanta Area Empty Re: Another Newbie to the Forum From Atlanta Area

Post by Kris5115 Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi and welcome!
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Katurah Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:29 pm

Welcome neighbor! I'm from South Carolina in a city about 3 hours from you, we visit their quite often because of family though Smile

Once you get going I'm sure there will be PLENTY of business for you in Atlanta! This forum is amazing for all of your questions & ideas Smile
Katurah
Katurah

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2012-03-12

http://www.katurahpaintspeople.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Face it! Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks to all of you! I love this site.
I picked up my first rainbow split the other day. It is Mehron...does anyone have any thoughts on that brand?
Face it!
Face it!

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Welcome to the forum!
You will find that there are varying opinons about differnt products in the industry, the archives of this forum are just packed to the brim with information about everything EXCEPT the kitchen sink so you should be able plug in the name of your product in the search bar and find many disucssions about just about anything. I've found that during th busy season, it's often a lot faster to use the archive that's readily available. Good Luck!
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shellig Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:57 pm

I am a dabbler / lurker here in Decatur, GA.
Welcome!
shellig
shellig

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down