Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting gigs

3 posters

Go down

Getting gigs Empty Getting gigs

Post by Mita Wed May 09, 2012 11:50 am

I only have two birthday parties and three festivals lined up for this whole summer. I feel a little shy approaching people and pushing myself to get more business out there. I want to attempt to try to get a restraunt gig, but I feel really nervous about going in there, and am scared I will studder over my words and totally flop. Any suggestions? I painted up my daughter and myself and went shopping yesterday and only gave out three cards. Everyone was commenting, mainly older ladies, on how they loved our faces, but yet when I would try to give them my card, they would decline:( I'm starting to feel kind of bumbed. I was hoping I was going to have a whole lot fuller of a schedule by now.
Mita
Mita

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Getting gigs Empty Re: Getting gigs

Post by Perry Noia Wed May 09, 2012 8:55 pm

when I was just starting, I set myself a goal of one a month... then two a month... then one a week... it takes time to build up, a lot longer than you probably want. But this is the nature of a business that is pretty much limited to weekends. I am finishing up my 4th year right now and I USUALLY have one or two a week (although May is a lot slower for some odd reason... transitioning weather maybe) and the summer time is INSANELY busy.

Things often come up rather last minute so don't stomp on yourself for not being booked 3 months out at this point.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by kathyrisley Thu May 10, 2012 2:33 pm

You sound like me! I don't like to be pushy. This was interesting and thought it might be helpful - I just painted for one hour for free on a Saturday at our local high end toy store and had my cards out on the table. Painted 10 faces and I've booked 2 parties from that already. I did it as a favor to the owner who is a friend, but then after the fact realized that the type of customers who would buy bday presents at this store (because they are more expensive) are also likely to pay for special things like a face painter to come to their child's bday party. Made me start to think of other similar places that sell high end items and have a customer base of mothers with young children and expendable income- upscale children's clothing stores or gift boutiques.

Wondering if anyone has every advertised the local parent magazine? We have one in our town that has a bday party section each month where businesses list services they offer for parties. It's also on their website.

Also wondered about drop in playcare places? They are popular here now- they are childcare services that people can drop children for a couple of hours to run errands, etc. Not an all day daycare service. Just some thoughts swimming in my head.

Perry you are always so encouraging and wise.
kathyrisley
kathyrisley

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Around here daycares are non-starters. I have never got a gig nor a referral from a daycare. Schools are more my speed - I do workshops for theatrical and drama classes, and high school cosmetology programs.

I did target daycares one year but got nothing from them, so don't bother now. Well, I should say, I did get a few calls in response but once I quoted my rate, that was the end of that.

Currently I get more from clubs, adults parties and functions and the local art scene so am concentrating my marketing in those areas.

I've got information on my blog - excerpts from my book - about marketing and advertising. (First of each month is a new excerpt)... check them out as there might be something there you haven't thought of yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Thu May 10, 2012 4:54 pm

I haven't bothered with daycares really, but I have had a few stay and play mommy groups book me for a half hour of playtime/storytime with the kids... I don't know that they would do face painting though for something like that, it's often babies and toddlers.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down