Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pressure to get a costume

+9
Jenn Doll
MariasFF&BA
lorrinwagner
Tash
fesspenter
TheGildedCat
Denise Cold
Miss Ronnie
VictoriaS
13 posters

Go down

Pressure to get a costume Empty Pressure to get a costume

Post by VictoriaS Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi I've worked more public events. But now I've been marketing more and I'm getting leads, but I am feeling the pressure to get a princess costume. I don't have one currently. I do princess designs and offer princess related activities, but do you think I need to bite the bullet and just get a princess costume? There are so many I'm overwhelmed.
VictoriaS
VictoriaS

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-11-16

http://www.biggrinsfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Pressure to get a costume Empty Re: Pressure to get a costume

Post by Guest Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:01 pm

Why? Who is pressuring you? Potential customers?

If people ask me to do "characters" I ask them why? Sometimes it is a theme party - last one I dealt with was "princesss"... they really pushed me about it but I just told them that I could paint princess designs, have princess stickers, but I was not able to dress as a princess and explained that over-weight, menopausal, middle aged women do NOT make good princesses.

I face paint, I don't do other activities.

If you are offering "princess" activities then maybe a costume would enhance your offerings and you could charge more for being in character.

Go for a generic princess look as I would avoid anything Disney-ish due to possible licensing issues.

I will, on occasion, if they pay $50/hour more, dress in character but I don't advertise it - clown, fairy godmother, alien, vampire, gypsy, etc. But I don't "perform" just paint.

Back to top Go down

Post by VictoriaS Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Thanks, Shannon.
VictoriaS
VictoriaS

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-11-16

http://www.biggrinsfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:38 am

Yeah, Shannon nailed it... There is no need to wear a costume.... but if you like to go along with the theme of your party, just incorporate one iconic item maybe... i.e., a tiara for a princess party, a jolly roger head scarf or paint a jolly roger on your own cheek for a pirate party..... or, just pass out theme related stickers and wear one yourself....
Very Happy
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:17 am

LOL! Shannon hit the nail on the head for me. I have a bunch of head dress type of things like animal ears for a jungle theme or a fairy crown but I AM NO PRINCESS! I wear my company t-shirt, jeans or slacks, bright blue bar apron for my phone, cards and car keys and usually clogs because I stand to paint. I do usually have some type of face paint on to match the theme but that's only if I have enough time.

I admire people who can stay in character for that long. I would have a hard time doing it...I get so into the painting and have been a mommy for so long that I get a little mommy deaf at parties and usually only pay attention to the person in the chair (and I don't want to forget a tiger nose ever again!)

D.
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:48 pm

Lol to the previous replies! I agree - if you want to offer princess parties with full costume, go for it. If you don't want that hassle, then it's not worth your time because who wants to dread dressing up for an event? If you're awesome at sewing and could make a rocking dress on the cheap, why not? I don't like spending lots of $$ on costumes when painting is my forte. I probably won't go the Disney princess route personally, but I do have a renaissance costume that can double for a queen or some other looks.

Here's my princess/fairy story:
While I do offer some costumes because I already have them, I leave a range on my website for cost, no specifics. If someone asks about a costume I don't have but think I could put together, or if I don't really feel like dressing up, I will quote a high price to that client. If they bite, then they have bought the costume for me plus my fee.

This happened with someone requesting a fairy costume. They bit on the high price and I made myself a pair of wings (thanks Metzpah!!, pics below), and stressed a little bit about the rest of the costume, but pulled it together.

Come the day of the party, I arrive in full fairy regalia only to have the mom inform me that precious daughter changed her mind the day before to a Finding Nemo theme, lol! Luckily, I collect those fees prior to the event so I was paid, but I was definitely an out-of-place fairy in a school of fish. Luckily, the party hostess and birthday girl loved it.

Easy-peasy airbrushed wings from www.facepaintforum.com/t3034-fairy-wing-tutorial
Pressure to get a costume Fairyw11

TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Nobody has ASKED me to dress up to face paint. Having said that...my friends seem to find the most amazing leopard pants for the best prices. They buy them "for me" and then borrow them. I do wear odd things to face paint in, because I want to stand apart from the servers, and wacky colors/prints hide my messy paint/glitter spills.
I have the definitive proof that I am not a princess....
Quite a few years ago, my husband, Tim asked me if I knew where the remote control for the TV was. I rolled over and told him I did not know where it was and I went back to sleep. In the morning, I walked past the mirror and there, imprinted upon my left upper arm and back was the impression of the TV remote in my skin. I was sleeping on the remote and I did not know it. I sadly told Tim I was sleeping on the remote. He told me that it was OK, he just got up and changed the channel. I said, "You don't understand, I was SLEEPING on the remote and I DID NOT KNOW IT!!! That means I'm NOT a princess!" Tim said, "That's OK, you're still my Queen."
I know I am not a princess, so I cannot wear a costume.
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:40 am

Had the same problem with Fairy's.
I have searched and searched and I have no inner fairy.
I doooo however have a pirate! I found her when pushed to wear a costume for a gig.... still need to work on my pirate speak though. I thought I would hate costumes but rather enjoyed walking around the huge event and having parents ask to have pictures taken with their kids!
Pressure to get a costume Img_0910

So i say search for your inner princess - if you find one - dress her up and enjoy it.... otherwise enjoy being you! Smile
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:05 pm

Fairy Godmother I can handle... I've played her three times on stage, and I've been the Queen of Hearts in Alice. Basically they are both just me with the filters turned off... I can be nasty to the bothersome little things and they think I'm funny. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by lorrinwagner Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:19 pm

I recently added a pirate (tampa!) and a princess (generic goodwill finds). I have increased my bookings significantly, I was being asked every time if I do princess or what costumes we offer. The kids absolutely love it and it is actually pretty fun. I charge $30.00 extra per party for it so it pays for itself regularly, not much work anyway. If it helps me get work I am all for it, I don't like cheesy costumes but I think princess is pretty easy (for me anyway). I might add a fairy sometime soon but that is later down the line. I think I spent a total of $25.00 on my entire costume, bedazzled it myself, had the shoes and got a crown. Pretty simple and great add on. Just don't do a specific princess as you will get yelled at by Disney. Good luck if you do it, if you don't, don't worry about it!
lorrinwagner
lorrinwagner

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2011-03-08

http://www.wagnerevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MariasFF&BA Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks, this has been helpful to me as well since I have been thinking about the same thing. Again, overweight, middle age, menopausal - just NOT a pretty princess picture (this is ME I am talking about). LOL Razz

MariasFF&BA

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:40 pm

MariasFF&BA wrote: Again, overweight, middle age, menopausal - just NOT a pretty princess picture (this is ME I am talking about). LOL Razz

Suspect Better be! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Doll Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:19 pm

I was booked for a fairy party in the end of summer... I am working on puling a costume together... I am actually looking forward to it. (Plus she is paying an extra $50!)

I have a little girl, 15mths... loves all the pretty dress up stuff... so we are girly around here!

Do what makes you happy, (and what makes you money!)

Smile
Jenn Doll
Jenn Doll

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-03-12

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Landen-Road-Designs/4471074784

Back to top Go down

Post by billiebcc Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:36 pm

LOLOL Shannon, all I could picture with this was the Queen of Heart from Alice in Wonderland "Off with their Heads" Banishing a paint brush. LOLOLOL
Shannon Fennell wrote:Why? Who is pressuring you? Potential customers?

If people ask me to do "characters" I ask them why? Sometimes it is a theme party - last one I dealt with was "princesss"... they really pushed me about it but I just told them that I could paint princess designs, have princess stickers, but I was not able to dress as a princess and explained that over-weight, menopausal, middle aged women do NOT make good princesses.

I face paint, I don't do other activities.

If you are offering "princess" activities then maybe a costume would enhance your offerings and you could charge more for being in character.

Go for a generic princess look as I would avoid anything Disney-ish due to possible licensing issues.

I will, on occasion, if they pay $50/hour more, dress in character but I don't advertise it - clown, fairy godmother, alien, vampire, gypsy, etc. But I don't "perform" just paint.
billiebcc
billiebcc

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2011-11-05

http://www.angelwingsbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:03 pm

I had a client ask about costumes once and a bunch of them asked about packages with costume and tiaras and all that jazz... I'm looking into it Smile
Face Painting by Jessica
Face Painting by Jessica

Number of posts : 644
Registration date : 2012-04-12

http://www.facepaintingbyjessica.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Lately I have been thinking I may make more of a point of promoting the costume aspect... In the past 6 months several new painters have started up and are seriously undercutting me - like by 70%!!!

I have no interest in resurrecting my clown persona due to the time required to do my make-up but I can dress up (sigh)... Guess I need to do a photo shoot of me as all my alter-egos to put on the interwebs... alien farao queen jocolor geek pirat santa

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:37 am

Just post the pics here, I'm sure we'd all like to help and VOTE! Razz
l!zzie
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by girlbyjuly Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:54 am

Whenever I get princess party requests I refer the customer to an actress friend of mine who is a FANTASTIC party princess. It doesn't happen too often, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on a ton of business, and I know they are getting good quality. I don't feel the need to offer something in a mediocre way when I know there are other people who could do it way better than me! I might consider dressing up in a costume (never actually been asked to dress in theme!) but I wouldn't "act".
girlbyjuly
girlbyjuly

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2010-11-08

http://www.facepaintingorangecounty.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down