Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Contracts?

3 posters

Go down

Contracts? Empty Contracts?

Post by SamFantastico Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:42 pm

I need a serious lesson in businessing. I have all the skill of painting and the ability to get through a line with awesome speed...but I have no idea what I'm doing in the business sense. I really need to set up a contract but I don't have a clue on wording or how to start or how to go about deposits. I've been extremely hesitant to do anything outside of a PPF festival gig because I hate asking for money. I hate telling a client "We charge this much for our services." Can't I just show up and paint and money magically gets into my pocket or account? I need help ): Does anyone have an example of a contract they use, how to bind it legally, etc. I need to get myself a manager so the only things I dirty my hands with is paint! Very Happy But seriously, any help is appreciated.
SamFantastico
SamFantastico

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2011-01-30

https://Www.facebook.com/BroadwayBodyArt

Back to top Go down

Contracts? Empty Re: Contracts?

Post by a face painting mom Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:55 pm

My contract is on my website at www.afacepaintingmom.com. I think I took bits and peices of many different contracts and put it together, and you are welcomed to use any of it you like!

Your clients signature makes it legal, except for the law in your area that may or may not allow you to have a non-refundable deposit. As long as your contract does not contradict an existing statue in your area, it is binding if the client signs.

The paypal option for deposits is super easy, even I was able to set it up!

It gets easier to ask for money...if you have the skills, don't back down and haggle over your prices, you may have a few clients walk at first, but soon you will start to see that the percentage of people who inquire, verses booking is kind of a high ratio, so you are better of to wait for the kind of client you really want...not to lower your prices to get the bookings, because then you are stuck in that circle instead of the one you want to be in, do you know what I mean? It feels cruddy the first few times you have somebody really want you do do a party, and then balk at your rate, and it is so tempting to cave in, but if you don't, you will soon find the one booking leads to another leads to another...and these will all be clients who are willing to pay for good painting.

The smart phone ap for visa, mc, and discover looks cool too. If I had it to do over again, I would go with that instead of using my bank which is more expensive, but being able to take credit cards is very nice, if you have them on the phone, ask for the booking...I know it sounds strange, but once you know that they want to, just say, would you like to book now and put down a deposit to hold your party time? I can run the full amount of your party now so that you do not have to worry about payment at the party...some people will do this, especially if they are going to use the same credit card to pay the balance. It is always worth asking. That is the closest thing to you just having the money just end up in your account that I know of, or you can send them an ivoice via paypal...another way to avoid having to ask.

I have not had to ask for payment very often, I finish the kids, ask the client if there are any more to be painted before I pack up, and they will usually ask you how much, or just give you the check or cash. It gets easier.

Good luck! Your stuff is great, you should do well, just don't settle for less than you are worth!
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SamFantastico Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:44 pm

Thanks so much, that is all really helpful. I've heard about the phone application and hope to have it set it in the coming year. That contract is fantastic and exactly what I need but didn't know how to say it. Thank you thank you thank you!
SamFantastico
SamFantastico

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:20 pm

Oh, one thing I discoverd that I needed was to add a little statement into the contract that requries 6 square feet for one artist and a minimun of 10 for two artists. I had an event last week where they hired my tattoo artist also, and they tried to sqeeze us into this tiny alcove that was not more than 15 square feet, but in that space they also wanted to 3 8 foot craft tables, a musican, and a popcorn machine! I still said that we needed 6 sq ft per artist, but my contract does not call for it. It was a mess...so, if you have the possiblity of adding another artist in, you want to call for enough space in your contract, so that you can point to the fine print and not be the bad guy when you are trying to set up an event. Live and learn!

Shannon has some really good resources if you click on her profile. I am sure that some of my contract comes from her, not sure if hers is on there, but the wording that I use was in a lot of the contracts I searched out, and I think Shannon has helped everyone! Perry has a good contract too, I got the wording for the 501c3's from her, which has worked out for me really well.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:13 pm

Don't call your deposit a deposit! It is a non-refundable retainer fee ( which can/will be applied to the booking total).
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SamFantastico Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:13 am

anniel wrote: a non-refundable retainer fee

That is brilliant! Very Happy
SamFantastico
SamFantastico

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:04 am

I had to go with deposit, my clients did not get the retainer fee language. Maybe "Booking" fee would work? I may change that. "Retainer" was just confusing to the clients I most needed a deposit from.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down