Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Special effect makeup

+5
Psalmbook
Noella
fesspenter
Anita's Faces
helena
9 posters

Go down

Special effect makeup Empty Special effect makeup

Post by helena Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi wonderfully talented people,

As Halloween approaches I have a couple of questions I wonder if you would help me with:

Do you have a favourite place from where you obtain your special effect make-up?

annnnnd

Do you have any special tricks for getting Halloween bookings? (I don't have the facilities to have anyone in my home to make them up.)

Thanks all Smile ((((Hugs))))

helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Special effect makeup Empty Re: Special effect makeup

Post by Anita's Faces Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:12 pm

my kitchen cabinets! corn flakes, gelatin, rice, etc, etc.
Anita's Faces
Anita's Faces

Number of posts : 1044
Registration date : 2010-02-13

http://www.anitasfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Dear Helena:

This is my special f/x kit:

Ben Nye Stage Blood (Zesty Mint Flavor!)

Ben Nye Scab Blood

Ben Nye Latex (for sensitive skin)

2 bruise kits

spatula

kleenex (to tear into irregular pieces for wounds)

I have purchased this from Hiscott's on Yonge street south of College/Carlton, where they have terrible service, and they offer a fairly large selection of facepainting supplies. They are much nicer at Malabar's, the selection is smaller and the prices are higher.

I have teamed up with a party store in the past, they advertised that they were offering facepainting on the two days leading up to the event. People wanted to book a time, so they began a sign up sheet, unbeknownst to me. They booked me for 50 kids per hour for 4 hours. I had them call people back, and rebook at different times during the day. They were charging $20/face, and taking $5, giving me $15. I applied the prosthetics purchased in the store for the price of the prosthetic plus $5 per item. I did very well, so did the store.

There is a Halloween party store on the QEW that is looking for a facepainter. They charge $75 per face, facepainter gets half. The drawback is that the facepainter must use their Palmer facepaints. Ugh! I break out in blisters from that stuff.

I think the trick is to advertise, advertise, advertise. I put up flyers at our local schools, party packagers, costumer's. I am lucky in that I can work out of my husband's studio. Is there a party store in Collingwood? Is there a bar that would be willing to offer your services on a PPF basis? Look for a place that would welcome your clients.

Happy Halloween!
Lisa
fesspenter
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Almost half of my kit I got (or get to replace as used up) from Jordane (which is my fav "local") - the other parts from the trade shows, various odd parts from retail makeup stores I've been to over the years, and yes, even grocery and hardware stores.

Blood recipes online can be found for all different types (edible or otherwise), gelatin can make great burns, eyelash glue that is latex can be used with tissues to build up "skin" (which can then be cut or torn), glitter glue can stick on prosthetics.

Is there something in particular you feel you are missing/need?
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by helena Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks for the info all Smile

Noella - just general bleeding, bruised and gruesome stuff Smile

I remember back in the 'old days' we used to make blood using corn syrup and food colouring... but it was heckuva sticky and a little uncontrollable Very Happy
helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:50 pm

youtube has all you need for info on special effects. And like Anita says, between the toilet paper in your bathroom & you kitchen cabinet you'll find loads of ingredients.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Well.... for blood, scab, bruise wheels, and other gruesome items (like wax, latex etc), I get them from Jordane (see above)..... for huge quantity (or different viscosity) I tend to make my own. The bought stuff does dry better though. If I'm doing something bloody on set though that has to be "just so" - I draw it on with an alcohol based ink, then drop clear gel on it just as we are going to shoot so that it is shiny, but not going to smear etc.
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:29 am

Do share your "secrets" gang----I have a haunted venue for the 3rd year, where we do the actors (40 a night) and need some fresh (at least to me) ideas and inspiration!
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Hey--anybody there? I spent hours online this am looking for quick tips...and the best I could find was gelatine wounds...I am looking specifically for things that are FAST, and would show up in the dark or with low lighting...

They don't want prosthetics, cause they take too long---but I want to bump it up a bit from paint and blood.
anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:31 pm

What kind of fast things are you thinking? And why do prosthetics take too long? for prep? or application? or removal?

I do generic scars and wounds (prosthetics) that I've sculpted in clay, cast in plaster/stone, then slush in vinyl (Watermelon) to prep and sit in my kit. Apply by spritzing the skin with alcohol, "slapping" it on, run around the edge with a cotton swap dipped in alcohol, paint and move on (under a minute if I'm "moving"). They pull off later (with effort but no damage to themselves) and the child can "keep" them, or if the parent finds residue, can be cleaned totally from the skin with a bit of alcohol....

I've also used it to embed glass (plastic), metal (plastic) or hide their eye or change their nose, close in their mouth etc etc etc

I like gelatine for burns and non prepped things, but I'd rather have a series of prepped generic vinyl to apply quickly....
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by trentsketch Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:35 pm

First, let me say that I swear by Ben Nye for this kind of work. Their specialty products look very convincing in person when you know how to use them. Even if you just pick up their bruise stack, stage blood, and nose/scar wax, you can do a whole lot more.

Second, they said no prosthetics. That's fine. What you can do then is play around with using eyelash glue. It's a fast drying latex alternative that you can use to raise up scars, cuts, protruding bones, bumps, bruises, or whatever else needs a little extra depth. You could, if you want to, even build it up for bumpy flesh like liquid latex by layering in flat tissue/toilet paper/paper towel for more layered looks. Though if you're going that far, just use the liquid latex.

You can also do quick work with nose and scar wax for open wounds and zombie flesh. Plop a mound onto the surface you're painting in the general shape you want, blend it out into the skin, then carefully remove wax from the center until you wind up with a big open wound. Then you can either pinch up the wax near the opening to make it look like the skin has ripped off or blend it down into the skin. Paint how you want and finish off with a few drops of your choice of stage blood. This video does a pretty quick exposed knuckle tutorial using that technique: Search YouTube for "special effects makeup tutorial - exposed knuckle injury"

Definitly check out YouTube for some ideas. I'm rather fond of petrilude's channel for inspiration even if I doubt I'd ever put a whole design together as he does it. His Halloween tutorials are in another league for YouTube effects videos. He does, however, have a bad habit of saying things like it's safe to use Elmer's glue on the skin. If you use the right products, his ideas would work much better. Search for "petrilude" at YouTube.

trentsketch

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Thank you! Will do right now...yeah, basically it's a 5/7 minute job per actor...no time for much. One year I even got a super-deal on prosthetics from Goodwill (like $2 each--bought them ALL, like a couple cases) and never got to use them. I was so bummed---ended up giving them to a friend who ran a shop.

On the plus side, it's a great way for our apprentices to get used to playing with good quality paint, sponge & line work,---working under time constraints etc. (me too) and who doesn't have fun jamming (especially when the paint's paid for! hehe)
anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:59 pm

Noella, where do I find the plaster/stone & vinyl (watermelon)? I am thinking we're having semantic issues (I once flunked my Swedish driver's test for not knowing what a spanner or lorry were in the British translation)---Is Shannon around? Bet she could shine a light on this...
anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:48 pm

The vinyl is like latex - it's called Watermelon and is available from the creator Michael Davy http://www.michaeldavy.com/ - and he does sell ready made appliances for only a few dollars each, but I made several of my own sets (molds) so I just make as many of those up as I need to restock my kit regularly. Plaster/stone is just what is used to make molds (for latex prosthetics) etc - you sculpt the item in clay (soft) in positive, put it on a solid base, pour plaster around it, make a negative, then when you slush latex or vinyl through it it makes the positive prosthetic to use.....

Why I like the vinyl (instead of latex) is it adheres with alcohol, you fix the edges with alcohol, and after you remove it (by just pulling it off - although it is waterproof) you can reuse it, or remove any remaining residue with.... alcohol.....

Plus it is fast - under a minute to apply a three dimensional cut/scar/slash/bullet wound/bite etc to a child (or actor of course) - including painting it up (no foundation needed since it is translucent).

I'm rambling - I like it - I do carry wax in my kit when doing something unique and different, but I find that takes at least a few minutes - ditto getting latex layers to dry. I'd rather be able to get through more people with less effort and have it look great and hold up well (and reusable doesn't hurt at all when you have to repeat the "same thing" on a person multiple nights or for multiple takes over several days).
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:34 pm

You ROCK girl, thanks so much!! I'm gonna go look right now. (Been browsing the tutorials you suggested and they really really helped too!!). THANK YOU! Just what (& when) I needed!
anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:16 pm

I use a great deal of Kryolan for my FX work and then some Mehron. Kryolan makes everything! One cool thing they have is a small mold tray to make your own latex wounds and such. Easy to apply with more latex or a body adhesive for quick work. You can also use FX silicone for pre-made wounds and appliances. 3-D gel effects makes for quick work. Apply right on the person for custom effects. If removed carefully it can be reused but I prefer silicone for reuse.

If doing a lot of actors your really should be airbrushing. Makes for fast work. I really like European Body Art's new Nix's FX colors. Not cheap but nice.

I simply could not live without Kryolan Fresh Scratch Blood Effect. If you just want some simple quick blood effect in your face painting kit and not full on FX work this is great stuff. Looks like blood, dries into a nice scab kook, easy cleanup, easy to use.

And dig deeper there are tons of good how to do FX stuff online. But because FX work it a bit science/mixology based it can get tricky to learn on your own.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:41 am

Thanks Loretta...this year we've got an airbrush guy working with us...but since it's his 1st run I found out that I am faster than him...hehe.

Made my first casts, (thanks Noelle) & couldn't wait for the weekend to play with them so I had fun last night at kids night with a broken open scabby knee. The manager on duty went for the first aid kit.... clown (I used body glue & it stayed on while she played...as the alcohol alone wouldn't)

Special effect makeup 2011-011

I tried a cut as well...

Special effect makeup 2011-015

Now my son wants a custom eye-covering he can wear under an eye patch that he will lift up to gross people out when he twists balloons for Halloween....YES!! lol!

Used black mica around the eyes and it made a ghoulish shading very fast, on this guy I eye-lined him too as the location he performed at was very dark & I wanted the whites in his eyes to show up better...but don't care for it in the light, should've blended it in...had fun with his scars though!

Special effect makeup 2011-013

Any critiquing is so welcome!
anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:01 am

Nice! Great! Looks fantastic!

Yes, I've found the alcohol doesn't adhere so well on moving joint skin - glad the body glue worked to hold it. Love the idea of a broken open scab!
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by vivi_o7 Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:05 am

Very nice jobs!!!!! that wounds looks so real, and that man will scare me if I found him around, no thanks!!! affraid
vivi_o7
vivi_o7

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2011-02-11

http://fancydesigns.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Just found this source (was looking up the exhibitors at IMATS Toronto next month) - it's right in Collingwood with you Helena - no idea if they have a store or just do mail/online orders. They carry Graftobian and Cinema Secrets (so have the Woochie FX) as well as latex etc.

http://www.sksnovelty.on.ca/

No idea on prices because you need to login/have an account (and I'm of the mindset if I have to ask, I can't afford it). I'll likely see them at the show anyways.
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down