Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painting on yourself

+5
Tash
Manabanana
Gretchen
Krissiemarie
Smiletime
9 posters

Go down

Painting on yourself Empty Painting on yourself

Post by Smiletime Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:07 pm

All the kids in my neighborhood..especially mine are getting sick of me practicing on them all the time. I have tried painting my ideas on myself, but I just can't paint on my own face. I know part of it is because I wear glasses and when I take them off to paint my face, I can't see very well....But the angles are very awkward. Any tips of how to paint yourself...or do I just need to keep practicing.
Smiletime
Smiletime

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://www.depacesfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Painting on yourself Empty Re: Painting on yourself

Post by Krissiemarie Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Keep practicing. When I first started painting on myself was hard. But there are no kids around me now, so all I do is paint on myself when I practice or make up new faces. You can always look into getting a practice head.
Krissiemarie
Krissiemarie

Number of posts : 622

https://www.facebook.com/facepaintingbykristina

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:36 pm

I have the same problem. I'm SO blind without my glasses, and then I can only get so close to the mirror before my brush hits it! I do feel like I'm getting better with practice though. I'm thinking about cutting some of my brush handles short just for painting on myself so I can get up closer! ;-)
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Magnifying mirror.

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:32 pm

I smack the brush to the mirror too. I am extremely near sighted. My doctor even stated I have to keep an eye out for fairy lights because it is my eyes membranes tearing. Which will cause blindness.... Lots of yuck!

So my arms and legs are my best canvases. Very Happy

I tried a magnify mirror and I still cant see 3 inches in front of my face. Sad
Manabanana
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:07 pm

ok - A couple of things help me with this.

1. I will not paint myself when anyone is home.
- I always think I'm going to make a mess of it and I don't want anyone seeing it unless I am proud of it so this is most important. If it sucks - wash it off and no-one is any wiser... if it rocks take a picture ( this is hard and is the only time I wish someone was around to take the pic for me - I just take like 50 shots in different lights/rooms inside outside etc knowing I will get at least one decent one)

2. Paint sitting down comfortably.
- I paint sitting on my lounge with my mirror and everything on the coffee table in front of me, and my computer and any pictures I may need etc.

3. Try to move your face and not your hand when possible.
- I am very used to moving my hand around but when you paint yourself you can move your face instead... I catch myself reaching around when I could just move instead.

4. Make sure you are painting our good side..... I have painted so many on my uncomfortable side from not thinking about it when you start... if you paint right handed you right hand can reach the right side of your face without covering your line of sight - but not really your left and vice-a-versa.

5. Use a magnified mirror - as Shannon said - you don't have to go so close as to hit the mirror with your brush handle. You can get these cheap at a chemist or dollar store double sided so one side is normal - I have even seen some awesome ones that light up for you.

6. Work out what's easiest for you to paint.... I can paint a scary face on myself easiest as the lines don't have to be perfect... but a bling mask ala Marcela Muirad is close to impossible for me ... well a lot harder anyway.... tigers and butterflies... easy.... but small details and clean good swirls and line work are very hard around your own eyes. I remember Marcela saying she finds it really hard to paint scary as pretty is her thing... so you just need to find your comfortable style.

I don't think any amount of practice will make it easy persay.... but Ashley, Vi and Clayton sure seem to have mastered it!
This is what works for me - hope it helps somebody...
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Just paint on your body like your hands, arms, legs, etc. Also wax paper is a good tool to practice with. Smile
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:48 pm

I paint myself all the time... but it is getting harder as my eyes are going.

I have a lighted makeup mirror with magnifying side that I used when I had to do my clown make-up. The extra light really helps.

But for face painting myself to go out on a job, I usually just stand at the bathroom mirror. And lean into it ... if I'm having trouble with detail I use a magnifying hand mirror and sit on the toilet... the more light the better.

I don't have a problem painting anything on myself but that is years and years and years of practise. Have to admit that for the last year most of what I've painted on myself has been butterflies in a yellow/orange/pink UV split cakes ... easy, fast and everyone loves it and asks if I painted it myself Rolling Eyes

If I am just playing around for photos I sit on the sofa with a hand mirror... and a large towel protecting everything!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazz Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:28 pm

I have found that if i want any form of symmetry that i have to paint my off side first. that way i can make the good side match
Jazz
Jazz

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffinblue Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:19 am

I think that I actually paint my own face BETTER than I paint a lot of other faces. I don't have any idea why this is. Must be all the years of wearing liquid eyeliner;)
Griffinblue
Griffinblue

Number of posts : 195

Back to top Go down

Post by makin faces by synni Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:57 am

i am the same as u griffin. i find it heaps easier to paint my self. plus the kids aren't as easily conned into it now they are getting older. plus i have all the patience in the world and don't feel the need to hurry up when painting my own face!
makin faces by synni
makin faces by synni

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2010-03-15

http://	facebook.com/synni80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down