Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Had chance to try out some eye stencils from Showoff Body Art

+4
Criss
WyndyO
Metina
KathyO
8 posters

Go down

Had chance to try out some eye stencils from Showoff Body Art Empty Had chance to try out some eye stencils from Showoff Body Art

Post by KathyO Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:33 pm

I did a festival this weekend in Lexington and I had a chance to try the eye stencils that Donna Nowak has. I the paint I used was great but I needed to use a larger needle airbrush. There are all airbrushed on. Some of the faces I applied powder for the base and aibrushed the designs using the eye stencils. This was my first time using them and I think they turned out really well.

I hope I did this right - but if not they are the first 5 pics in my gallery
KathyO
KathyO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Had chance to try out some eye stencils from Showoff Body Art Empty Re: Had chance to try out some eye stencils from Showoff Body Art

Post by KathyO Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:57 pm

I left one out - maybe I can get this one to attach
KathyO
KathyO

Back to top Go down

Had chance to try out some eye stencils from Showoff Body Art Empty Re: Had chance to try out some eye stencils from Showoff Body Art

Post by Metina Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:03 pm

Hmmm...I have never thought of doing airbrushing tbh.... But now I am really interested in what this could bring to the table. Any training available? What is the overhead on the equipment?
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:16 pm

I bought some and a new airbrush setup to try!! Those are so cool and Donna is a fantastic and fun lady!!! Her airbrush system is an excellent value too. I think I spent $90 on the stencils and $600 on the airbrush system. Then ink will be another $120 to $250 depending on which brand and how much...... The results you got Kathy are very nice.
WyndyO
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:39 pm

How long does it last? I found a supplier out here who carries the tattoo air brush paint, but I haven't found anyone yet who carries the body and face paint. The kids wouldn't mind if the face paint lasted for a week or so, but i'm pretty sure the parents would LOL
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:58 am

Saw it at a convention, but when I heard that a normal detailed face takes about ten minuttes, I lost interest. You also need to bring a lot more gear that normal, including a heavy compressor.
I do think it is great if you need fast designs with not so many colours (it is the colour change and graduation that takes time), and you don't mind that they all look more or less the same.
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyO Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:10 am

I used graftobian f/x aire face paints - these are water base paints not temp tattoo paints so they come off with soap and water. You can use these stencils with a sponge and face paints - I takes more practice is use the sponge technique.

I used Mehron starblend and Kryolan pressed powders then I airbrushed on the design. When I did these I was also doing temp tattoos so I had my air compressor already set. I did use my gravity feed airbrushes for the face painting and the needle size was to small (size #3) and the makeup was clogging so next time I will use my other airbrushes which has a needle size of (#5) to see if they work better.

Because it was the first time using them I took more time but you can get good result in 5 minutes or less once you get accustomed to them. The graftobian f/x aire really held up in the heat - so if I am doing any festivals or parties and I have to be in the heat I am going to be using these for sure.

To do airbrushing it does take more money to get started - If you want to get into this I would recommend getting a system that has the airbrushes, hoses, manafolds, and aircompressor - it will save you money in the long run. You really only need 5 airbrushes - one for each primary color
KathyO
KathyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:17 pm

I really don't enjoy airbrushing. I found it completely unsatisfying artistically... as in B-O-R-I-N-G. And I really loathed having to deal with the equipment... give me some paint and a sponge and brush and I'm happy. No parts to fall down drain, the brushes don't get jammed, the sponges don't clog...

I use it for theatre for foundations on large casts now. That's all.

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:12 pm

I feel that way too Shannon, mostly the equipment sounds like a major hassle. Unfortunately the public seems to think that having airbrush equipment makes someone a professional. I've had people call after seeing my work on my website, and ask me if I used an airbrush to create those designs. I told them it was all sponge and brush, and they were disappointed and didn't hire me for their event. scratch
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:34 pm

You're probably right! I've had people ask if I use it for face painting too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Wow, way too much overhead for me. I'll leave it to the "professionals" LOL
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:17 pm

By the way Kathy, the designs look great! It's hard to tell some of them are airbrushed. I love the white seashell design the most. Very Happy
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyO Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:15 pm

I am know here in Louisville KY for my brush and sponge work - that is why they hire me for the parties. I can only do these eye stencils at fairs because to bring all the equipment for a private party is just to much for me unless I am there for more than 2 hours. What I like about these is that I can offer these designs when the weather is really hot or if it is sprinkling out at the festivals that I do as long as I have electricty for the air compressor. It is also another thing my daughter can do since she only does the cheek art and airbrush temp tattoos - so with these she can also do face painting.
KathyO
KathyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:03 am

I like airbrush for some things. Like foundation! That is the best =) And In theory I like it for bodypaint if I had to do a lot of similar shapes - like laces. But it is so much equipment to take with me just for that. So that is rare.

But I would like to learn freehand airbrush designs more. Have seen some really cool portraits and so painted on people.
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:22 pm

I am in awe of freehand airbrushing artists. Particularly caricature artists who airbrush their portraits. That amazes me.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyO Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:42 pm

I took an airbrush class here in Louisville KY from Gary Carver - man is he awesome. He is able to produce the most amazing work - wished his talent would rub off onto me Very Happy
KathyO
KathyO

Back to top Go down

Had chance to try out some eye stencils from Showoff Body Art Empty STENCIL EYES

Post by Neil Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:48 pm

I have been doing airbrush tatts since 94 and some airbrushed faces and hair.This year we started using Stencil Eyes face painting stencils and now 50+% of our business is airbrush face painting.Its like old times with people crowding around to watch us,seems their not used to seeing face painting done so quickly. With the airbrushes we can do a full face in the time to do an arm band maybe even faster; 3 to 5 min.We use trendy tribals water based airbrush face paint for this.I realy like these stencils so i have added them to my web store,they are pricey but come with the stencil and full color flash and can pay for themselves at one event, and i give free shipping

Neil
www.getpainted.com
Painting America one body at a time

Neil

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-03-01

http://www.getpainted.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:43 am

Isn't 3-5 minutes normal for a full face?
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by zanypaint Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:59 am

Yeah I guess I enjoy face painting because of the creativity and stencils seem like they would take away from that... but can they even be used without an airbrush/just used with a sponge?
zanypaint
zanypaint

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-03-22

http://www.zanypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:44 pm

You can use a stencil with a sponge... that's how decorative stenciling is done on walls, etc. Just have to be careful how "wet" your sponge is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:28 pm

This old airbrush tatt artist is also now a face painter.We have done AB face
painting for several years but have never had the success we are having with the
Stencil Eyes.We did our usual 4th of July event and about 65 % of our profits
were made from the face stencils.This was also our best year at this event by
about 15%. Can't wait for this coming weekend
On my older post it should read that we do the Stencil Eyes under 3 min instead of 3-5

Neil
www.getpainted.com
Painting America one body at a time

Neil

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-03-01

http://www.getpainted.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down