Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Body Paint Scam?

+6
Lady Jayde
CottonKandyClown
Brady
debranewmanart
wonderbrush
Lynnie
10 posters

Go down

Body Paint Scam? Empty Body Paint Scam?

Post by Lynnie Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Okay, so I got this email this morning and it raised some red flags but I answered it just to see what would happen.
"Lynne,
My name is Michael Lubin, am a freelance agent and a Model director and a Model Scout. I have just been awarded a contract by Heineken drink for promotion of their new products.I am presently recruiting models that i we will be using for the promotion of the new products adverts.Shots will be taken for bill boards,posters and hand bills and this is the reason i am contacting you.We will be needing your services as the body painter for the models on this project.The shots will be taking place in Bahamas Island,it is an all expense paid trip.Get back to me for further information if you are interested in this opening.
Thanks,
Michael."

I asked some questions about dates, payments, designs, figuring that would fish it out as legit or not.
Here's the response, and they included body paint designs in an attachment so it's one of the most elaborate set-ups I've ever seen.

"Thanks for your prompt response and interest in this position Lynne and below is the details for this opening,
It is an obligation as a director to look for a body painter for the models and that is the reason i have choose you.You will be in Bahamas Island for a period of one week for this project, you will be provided with your flight ticket and all allowance including your accommodation (Hotels bills) and feeding will be handled by us The shoot will be taking place in Bahamas Island and it is an all expense paid shoot meaning( feeding, accommodation) and all other expense has already been paid for so you will not be paying for anything. .The job include 2 session in a day, in the morning and in the afternoon and each session last for 3 hours.Meaning that you will be working for 6 hours daily for a period of one week.You will be paid the sum of $150 for an hour as you will be handling the body painting of 6 models daily.I hope you will be okay with this payment offer as you will be making a total of $150 x 6 = $900 daily. This shoot is to commence in two weeks time (9th of August). Tickets, flight details and every other thing you will be needing will be provided to you before then and also you do not really need a passport because we issue out a traveling pass for body painters, make up artiste, hairstylist working with us. All forms of body painting materials you will be needing will be supplied by us and any other one you request for will be supplied to so you do not need to bother yourself about the materials because we do not want you to stress yourself with much luggage while coming but if you feel you can bring any one you are free to.
Like i explained earlier, this project will last for a week .I also want to let you know that we will be making a down payment to have you booked prior to the date of this project and this down payment will be made by the financial supervisor of this project and he will only be able to make it into a Chase bank account or Wells fargo account and if you do not have that you can set that up also.The funds is to get you prepared for the trip as we will be trusting your professionalism.We require that you fill the follow information as listed below to effect the process of your down payment/deposit, as a check will be made in your name as soon as it is process.
Name-
Address-
City-
State-
Zip code-
Phone number-
Reference if any-

Please be advise that you are allowed to take just one person with you on this trip and you are to submit the name of the person to help facilitate the processing of the flight ticket for your accomplist.

ATTACH TO THE EMAIL IS SAMPLES of DESIGN WANTED.
Thanks and we await your swift response.
Michael"

Oh look. More red flags. We don't need a passport for the Bahamas? Since when? I've had sponsored travel before and I've always needed a passport.

"You will need a Wells Fargo or Chase account". Hmmmm...no. I don't have an account at those agencies and I won't so it's not a big deal.

The bad English I can forgive. I've worked enough with non-English speakers to be used to that but this is really...odd.

Anyone else get this?
Anyone else ever have something like this?

Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Body Paint Scam? Empty Re: Body Paint Scam?

Post by wonderbrush Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:02 pm

Ok I have to say I think this is a total scam --- though elaborate. The passport information was the give away. That's where they messed up - you have to have a passport to get back into the US. Believe me I lost mine before while traveling and even with a color copy they wouldn't let me back into the US without first going to the Consulate. IMHO, Don't give them your information.

wonderbrush

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-04-06

http://www.wonderbrushart.com ; www.facebook.com/wonderbrushface

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm

I'd let the people at Heineken know about this. If someone is scamming people in their name, they should know about it. Then they can call the FBI etc. Who knows, you might get free beer for a year as a reward. Very Happy

Makes me wonder what happens to people who take them up on this? Will they ever be seen again? Scary.

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

https://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:23 pm

sounds like a really great opportunity to AVOID!!! I have received things like this before.
Another red flag is that they basically say that you are already chosen to do this, without having ever spoken to you before.
This is complete BS. Though it would be fun to string them along just a little bit more to see what else they say. makes me slightly curious.
Brady
Brady

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:24 pm

ooh yeah!!! free beer!!! good idea. Smile
Brady
Brady

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:01 pm

You also have to give SS# for flight tickets right?

Total scam! It's sad that people really spend their lives doing stupid things like this to scam people. geek
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:29 pm

It's really sad that some poor schmuck is going to toss caution in the wind because they get big ole dollar signs in their eyes. This is such a scam it has scam written all over it. I too would love to string them along since they don't have a problem wasting MY time.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:05 pm

As I said I knew it was a scam from the first email, with the red flags there but it is interesting seeing how far they are going...and how personalized it is! I'm used to bots.

Brady, I get hired all the time based on my work in an online portfolio or from referrals from agencies I work with, without being spoken with first, that's not a flag for me at all. The passport thing was the biggest one for me.

I even had an offer once for the United Arab Emirates and they told me to have a passport but that they would take it upon arrival until completion of contract (and this was a legitimate offer, btw. I told them no freakin' way.)

I hadn't thought about contacting Heineken, so thanks for that suggestion! Beer is good. Smile lol

I agree it's sad that someone might buy into this, but that's why I put it up here. Warning and curiosity as to how often this happens.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:15 pm

I had someone do this from an "agency in London" so I strung them along a few weeks...asking detailed questions just to have fun needling them, until I got a cashier's check for a couple of thousand from them...took it to the bank (who wanted to cash it AGAINST my account--DON'T do that, cause then YOU lose) & it took a lot of push to get through to them it was a scam. Had them call the TRUE account holder several states away and let him know his account had been compromised, then dropped all the info off at the local police station. Of course, by this time they "realized" they needed me to send some of that money back (YEAH, RIGHT)But it made for a fun diversion... Smile
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:16 pm

A very elaborate version of the usual cheque sent, the mark deposits it, oops too much, please refund or pass along the funds... then boing boing BOING as the cheque bounces

They are working it pretty hard though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:54 pm

wow.

How about telling them you are happy to forgo the deposit as you do not wish to set up a new account?
I can't believe they went to this length!! They are clever - I"m sure they will get someone with this.

I just got one today from a Hotel reservations manager saying my credit card had been mistakenly charged and to fill in all the form and to go to the bank to get my money back..... got to say it had me worried for a second as credit card fraud is rampant... I searched his name and email and name of the hotel group and I can't find anything on the web saying it's a scam... I rekon they must get a lot of people falling for them.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:00 pm

Yup, scam. Scammers should really go to school & get an education so their bad grammar & communications skills don't give them away.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:06 pm

But then it would be harder to spot em!! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:22 pm

HAHA this is awful. My 'day job' is working for a bank helping to identify ID Thefy and Scams. Then helping people fix what damage had occured and help prevent it from happening again.

Any email with incorrect grammer coming from a national business is usually false.

If it is an email asking for infomation and you dont know if it is legitimate, (example you credit card company sent an email asking for you to respond with info or to click on a link asking for info) never respond giving anything. Instead call a # you know is a verified # for them. Phone # on the back of the Credit card or other customer Service # you verified as correct. For this it would be contacting Heiniken directly. Banks will NEVER ask for your SS# in an email. Emails can easily be intercepted or hacked and they would never want to take the chance of compromising your info.

With checks I would ask to go through a 3rd party such as paypal instead of directly into your account. That way you can dispute any fraud through Paypal (which is easier then most checking and savings acct banks fraud departments) Credit Cards and Cell Phone providers are way more advanced on dealing with fraud then banking account for some reason.

If anyone actually becomes a victim of ID Theft and has accounts opened using their info and not their permission or has their accounts tampered with, I would be happy to point you in the right direction. I have been doing this with the bank I work with for over 5 years and have learned a lot of short cuts on fixing things. (I HATE PHONE AUTOMATED SYSTEMS!!! I have lots of #'s to almost every bank that finances in the US that doesnt have that blasted automated phone call routers. So much easier talking to a living breathing person. Very Happy )

Can you tell I am passionate about this! Very Happy
Manabanana
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:36 pm

So I decided to see how far this will go.

I responded to this guy stating that I do not have accounts with those companies and will not be opening one, but that I do accept Paypal and would happily forward that information along. I also asked for a phone number to speak with him at (again).

He responded within two minutes "No problem, can you accept checks?" Surprise, surprise...no phone number.

My response is going to be that all of my corporate clients pay through Paypal, which honestly about only half do.

I am shocked at how far this is being taken.

I also have not received a response from Heineken, not that I expected one honestly.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down