Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Use a design book or not and why

+3
Lady Jayde
Angi
juststarting
7 posters

Go down

Use a design book or not and why Empty Use a design book or not and why

Post by juststarting Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:26 pm

I am getting some mixed answers on to use a design idea book for the kids or not. I understand if there are a lot of kids only show quick designs or fuller designs if it is a small group. But.... some people say they don't use one at all and it saves time. How? Just a list of ideas? Have the kids pick colors? It seems like it would take longer to ask questions to each kid. Help I am new at this!

juststarting

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Use a design book or not and why Empty Re: Use a design book or not and why

Post by Angi Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:50 pm

I use a design book. (Give props to the artist if it's not you) I laminate two pictures put back to back, put a price on each picture, give props if it's not mine, hole punch the corner and stick it through a key ring. The first page of my "selection book" says my rules. No kids under three (unless they can hold really still), No bills over $20, colors can be changed, etc etc. I have 4 books that are identical so that they can be passed through the line. If I have a more complex picture that seems to be taking too much time due to the length of the line I put a piece of tape across it and write "not available." Works great for me. Hope you find it helpful!
Angi
Angi

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2011-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:25 pm

I've always had a book... coloured templates when I first started, then photos once I had a nice selection of my own work.

And I have no problem painting the designs in my book, over and over, and over...

I tried a few times to not put it out but they ask for it... they like to look to see if they recognize the new faces in it.

The kids love looking at the pictures and deciding what to get... I do have a sign that says they can be anything they want. And I do get requests for things not in the book.

AND... having photos of your work available is ADVERTISING!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by juststarting Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks for your help, good ideas so far.

juststarting

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 am

I think it's a personal preference thing. The only thing I'd take issue with would be using somebody else's design book...credit given or not...
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CABBYJ Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:30 am

I tried working freestyle before and it was a disaster. I kept being interupted by people asking about design options. I now have a display where I can change out the designs as I want.
CABBYJ
CABBYJ

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2009-07-29

http://www.evolutionz.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:47 am

I just go with word signs mostly, I just like having the control when I want to change it up a little. That being said, it depends on the event too, I guess. This weekend I am going to a fest where I am very unknown, so my picture books of things I have painted, go with me because I need to sell it. Smile

I agree with Lady Jayde on using other people's photos. When I first started, I really had no idea that wasn't exactly the thing to do. I had a pic board of my work but hadn't had the chance to do a good Spidey but I wanted it to be available. So I used a pic of a Spidey and eye design that weren't mine and would always say," I didn't do that so it will look a bit different". Knowing what I know now, I will never post another person's work, it is theirs after all. If I don't have a pic I just write it out until I do. Smile
Jody Rife
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:38 pm

I have a bunch of different options for displaying my pictures depending on the venue:

Festivals : Pocketed Canvas picture holder to house 36 5x7 photos

Fairs (Small): Tall collage frame that sits on a low easel that holds 21 photos

Schools: Black foam core board with 4X6 picture pockets (I think there are 12

Birthday Parties: Laminated photo sheets (some with my quick faces for large parties and limited time and some with more elaborate faces for the clients who actually book me for as long as I suggest they do, lol)

I also have a little book of a mix of designs for clients who book for the minimum amount of time needed but request that I leave it open for tacking on more time...the book stays on the table and the laminated cards circulate.

I can totally get the initial faux pas of using others photos, it's the people who KNOW it's wrong and still do it that bug me. Free handing is scary, but fun sometimes once you get all warmed up. After a while, the designs are in your head. I didn't believe Shannon when she first told me this, but I do now! I used to look at pictures and vocalize how I'd duplicate it and I find that I do that still ... it helps me to break it down into it's simplistic form some how.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:09 pm

I use a list of "imagination ticklers" when working for myself...and add that I will work with their ideas. Some gigs for others I am required to just stick to a pre-determined list usually when there are several artists working together)--but I always have a photo album of my favourite work handy to show what I can do--that contains body, belly, faces, etc...that people can browse.
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:16 am

I love that term... "imagination ticklers"... it makes me smile for some reason... and i haven't even been drinking! Smile
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by DiamondDrea Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:44 pm

At parties I use a book, events a display board...
DiamondDrea
DiamondDrea

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down