Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong...

+4
Psalmbook
Kristal
Metina
Tash
8 posters

Go down

Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong... Empty Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong...

Post by Tash Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi guys -
I have been umming and erring about posting this as it's far from my best work... but I need help.
Because I don't know what I did wrong I don't want to try it again. Usually I look at my work and can see where I would improve it next time.... but this ... well... it was soooo hard to paint this on myself... I couldn't see anything I was doing when my hand crossed over the bridge of my nose!!
I KNOW my teardrops are dismal.... that I can fix.... but what the h*ll do I do with the rest?
I'm thinking the base is too opaque or something... not sure - SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!
oh and be kind - I know its not the best - but I'm trying to improve on my weeknesses.
Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong... P1000512
Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong... P1000513
Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong... P1000514

Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong... Empty Re: Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong...

Post by Tash Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Damn my head is soooooo big!!!
Sorry everyone - thought I sized them down..... but .... DAMN that's a big head! lmao
Tash
Tash

Back to top Go down

Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong... Empty Re: Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong...

Post by Metina Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:33 pm

I think the gold gel is bothering me most. I love the colors and the tear drops aren't so bad. The gel should be in continuous lines, not starting and stopping. You can fill a bottle with cake frosting to practice this technique. This is what I did with henna.

Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Honestly the way you were going on about it I thought it would be AWFUL Razz

It's a fair first attempt! Along with Metina's suggestion yes, I think the gel should be continuous, but it should also be consistent in terms of placement - see at the top centre how the right has gel snugged up against the teardrops and on the left it's above them?

I don't think you need the purple teardrops/gold dots on the bridge of your nose, either.

I love the colours as well, and good on you for trying! I know masks aren't my strength so I've been avoiding them...but I just bought some bigger bling and am going to "make" myself. The part that I'm most worried about for myself would be teardrops under the eyes. I've seen masks where that's done beautifully and I couldn't catch on, the few times I tried. It's been a while though, so hopefully the next attempt will be better.

Try, try again!
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks ladies - I think you are very right.
I wanted to use silver bling but don't have any. I have Glitter Mark but find it waaaaay to runny - and it just keeps getting blocked no matter what I do... then when I squeeze all I get is clear liquid and then a huge glitter blow out.
It's happened so many times I have officaily given up on it.
MY gold is a home made one - well kind of - I bought a derivan liquid bling in gold and added a whole heap of glitter to it so it comes out thicker and more prominent.... I cannot line anything with either.... dots I'm an expert at... but lining.. no no no.
I can't help but think it would have been so much nicer on someone else... that way I could of seen where my teardrops were finishing and would have been able to get a more constant line with the bling.
I got all excited yesterday because my man bought me a practice head thingy..... got it out and realised it's a guy!!! No pretty blingy masks on him I guess...... seriously... a male practice head? Do you think he was trying to tell me something?
hahahahahahahahahaha
Tash
Tash

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:07 pm

I read your post & thought I was going to see a blotchy mess Very Happy I think it's a great 1st attempt.
Study some of Marcela's masks(That's what I do all the time). I'm not sure the order you paint in, but it looks like you got it right... Sponge the base, add the gems, paint the swirls & teardrops & then add the gel.

I agree, keep the gel consistent & redo the line if it breaks. Maybe add some swirls or teardrops under the eyes & on the bridge of the nose. I'm still not fully satisfied w/ my masks either, but the kids & adults I paint love them.
Here's some of mine w/ & w/o gems & liquid bling. A bunch of these I was on a time constraint because they were performing in a dance.
Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong... Blingb11
Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong... Sarato10Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong... Sarato11Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong... 12292011
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:18 pm

I just gotta say I admire anyone painting on themselves. I hate painting myself, particularly anything covering my eyes/forehead for the reasons you mentioned, and my efforts always look terrible. So you're already way ahead of the game as far as I am concerned!

Hmmm... on looking for ways to improve this design, I think a more consistent purple outline might be all that's needed. It looks a bit too thick in some places, and maybe a bit washed out in others. I'd also maybe leave off the gold dots over the bridge of the nose, and have the design just sort of taper off under the eyes in the center of the face instead. I think it looks great though, and I love the base application and colors. It's gonna look even more cool when you do it on someone else and can see what you're painting!
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSparklingLady Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:48 pm

I really like it!
I honestly think that you are being way to hard on yourself, but THAT is the way to be: ultimately, you will hit your stride and develop the muscle memory and control that you wish you had. Practice is the only way to gain that so stick with it. Your overall design and colors are lovely.
TheSparklingLady
TheSparklingLady

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.thesparklinglady.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:24 pm

ok so, I am in a bummer mood so I saw this as an opportunity to cheer myself up a bit. I thought I would look at your design and just see what I would have done a little different and if it helps, it helps Smile I hope this isn't offensive, just a little different point of view. I look at mine as well and see things I would do differently if I could start over.

Anyhow, here ya go...
Painted my first bling mask.... something is wrong... Img_2210
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Evelyn Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:46 pm

Hello.

I think it is pretty good,but in addition to the other suggestions, I would advise making sure that the tear drops move into a center location, keeping the direction correct. Also the tear drops on the upper cheek end abruptly, maybe add a few more, making each one shorter and in a direction that goes in an imaginary curved line toward the inner eye and end with dots going the same way toward the inner eye and finishing the mask shape.
I think you are doing well and it is hard to paint yourself isn't it?

Keep your joy****** and be no harder on yourself than you would be on any of us!!

Evelyn Smile

Evelyn

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down