Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Face Mask to Stay well

+2
anramire2
Pinky1249
6 posters

Go down

Face Mask to Stay well Empty Face Mask to Stay well

Post by Pinky1249 Sun May 01, 2011 5:56 pm

After having another kid cough in my face this week (Just waiting for the cold to start any day now), and after getting a stomach virus a couple weeks ago after another gig, was wondering what you all think of wearing a surgical mask when painting to keep the germies out. I was thinking of putting up a sign, "I am NOT sick. I am wearing the mask to stay well" or something of the sort. I would only put in on when doing the actual painting (keeping it around my neck the rest of the time. I don't want to scare the kids off. I could put a smiley face on it. What do you think?
Pinky1249
Pinky1249

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Face Mask to Stay well Empty Re: Face Mask to Stay well

Post by Guest Sun May 01, 2011 6:34 pm

It has crossed my mind on occasion... like the time the kid coughed directly into my mouth!

But..

1) they are uncomfortable - have you every worn one for any length of time? You get hot under them.

2) it does look bad. This isn't Asia where wearing masks is commonplace. I've never seen anyone other than my dentist and dental hygenist wear them... and that's while they are working on me only.

3) they don't actually offer any protection... other than to sort of filter things - keeps out the chunky bits!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinky1249 Sun May 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Bummer. I have a weak immune system (always have); this might be a short lived career for me. Sad
Pinky1249
Pinky1249

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 01, 2011 8:11 pm

It's not all that bad...

Yeah, kids cough, sneeze, wheeze, vomit and otherwise get muck on you, but... you'd be coming into contact with all of that everytime you touch a door handle or public bathroom tap anyway.

But... I did catch strep throat from kids at a private party for sure once.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinky1249 Mon May 02, 2011 7:46 am

thanks, Shannon. Doesn't help that I'm a germaphobe. I already got a stomach flu a couple weeks ago. Passed out in the bathroom; hit my head on the tile floor and got a concussion. Sigh.
Pinky1249
Pinky1249

Back to top Go down

Post by anramire2 Mon May 02, 2011 10:18 am

Pinky1249 wrote:After having another kid cough in my face this week (Just waiting for the cold to start any day now), and after getting a stomach virus a couple weeks ago after another gig, was wondering what you all think of wearing a surgical mask when painting to keep the germies out. I was thinking of putting up a sign, "I am NOT sick. I am wearing the mask to stay well" or something of the sort. I would only put in on when doing the actual painting (keeping it around my neck the rest of the time. I don't want to scare the kids off. I could put a smiley face on it. What do you think?
Germs are spread though a break in the skin, eyes, nose, mouth, etc. So if you cover your nose and mouth. Your eyes are still open for the germy taking. I try to stay off to the side of my chair incase a cough or sneeze occur. I have to say I hate when kids are on line or in my chair and pick thier noses and look for a place to place their findings. Shocked It totally grosses me out and I will often ask parents to wash thier hands and faces before I can paint them. Some get quite annoyed at this request. But I really don't care. I don't wanna clean it up! Mad

Try Vit c for immune system.
anramire2
anramire2

Number of posts : 853
Registration date : 2009-08-13

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/My-LoVe-for-ART/2104600

Back to top Go down

Post by anramire2 Mon May 02, 2011 10:21 am

Shannon Fennell wrote:It has crossed my mind on occasion... like the time the kid coughed directly into my mouth!

3) they don't actually offer any protection... other than to sort of filter things - keeps out the chunky bits!

No No No ewww I almost puked! affraid lol
anramire2
anramire2

Number of posts : 853
Registration date : 2009-08-13

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/My-LoVe-for-ART/2104600

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Mon May 02, 2011 10:22 am

Surgical masks look bad.

Shannon, that "chunky bits" part made me gag. silent
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinky1249 Mon May 02, 2011 10:47 am

I guess we need to be more like the Asians....and be more accepting of masks. I mean, if it helps keep EVERYONE healthier, why should there be a stigma to it? Just my HO.
Pinky1249
Pinky1249

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Moon Mon May 02, 2011 11:06 am

Perhaps you could try some of the immune boosters they have out like airborne before you go to work?

Amy Moon
Amy Moon

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-01-03

http://www.hennaluna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinky1249 Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 am

thanks, Amy. I use Zicam and drink my vit C. Just always have had a poopy immune system. Guess that's a bad combo (being in kids' faces for hours on end).
Pinky1249
Pinky1249

Back to top Go down

Post by Netsirk1976 Mon May 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Wearing a mask will probably just contribute to weakening your immune system even further unless you wore it 24/7.
Netsirk1976
Netsirk1976

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2010-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Tue May 03, 2011 7:59 am

Germs & kids go together. It's just part of the biz. I think the mask might "scare off" some people. Maybe draw a funny smile on it Very Happy
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down