Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaving the Nest... Wait... WHA-!? D,:

+12
freedspirit
photomomma6
AngieAnders
Psalmbook
Jody Rife
Tash
wmeventservices
Tra
maggie
EricaH
kat
Tilly - Formerly Punky
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Leaving the Nest... Wait... WHA-!?  D,: Empty Leaving the Nest... Wait... WHA-!? D,:

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Well, the day has finally come that I am leaving the nest… and I am scared out of my mind! affraid I finally took my final skills test at school and passed and found out where I’ll be sent for my externship. Some of you may remember me saying that I requested to be sent down south near Indianapolis so I could live with an uncle. Well… that didn’t happen. Instead I’m being sent over 2 hours away up to Sturgis, MI. pale This is bad because I don’t know ANYONE who lives up there and will have to find a place to live… all by myself. No

The problem with this is I’ve never been away from home for more than a week, and even then I was among friends… not all alone. I’m terrified about moving so far away and being all alone in a strange place, absolutely terrified. I mean, what if something happens? My parents won’t be just a few minutes away to come to the rescue… what will I DO?! I’m doing my best to keep my head high and keep my composure around my friends and family, but in reality, my head feels like it’s spinning from everything moving so fast right now, and I feel ready to just break down and cry from the stress of it all. I’m not ready for this! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad But if it means securing a good future and potential career for myself, I know I have to do this. I have to be brave, no matter how hard it seems.

One good thing about this that the hospital in Sturgis, MI where I’ll be serving my externship at supposedly specifically requested an extern from my school to train and hire (providing I do a good enough job during my externship). So, this means I very well will have a job waiting for me when I finish college… meaning I will have graduated college and started in a career earning around $30/hr and be living on my own and (hopefully) financially independent and self sufficient all before I am even old enough to legally drink. I mean, how cool would that be? Cool

But the fact still remains… I have LESS than one week to find an apartment (or arrange some other temporary residence until I find an apartment) and move out of my home and move into where ever I choose to live. How on earth am I supposed to pull that off? confused I really resent my school for giving me such little notice in this situation.

Did I mention I’m scared out of my mind? affraid

Okay, thanks for listening, I wasn’t sure whether to put this in the “Where’s the Beef” section or not, because I suppose this really is mostly good news, but I’m just not handling it well. Sad
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Leaving the Nest... Wait... WHA-!?  D,: Empty Re: Leaving the Nest... Wait... WHA-!? D,:

Post by kat Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 pm

*HUG*

You can do it!

Mom & family are only a phone call away!
You'll soon make friends, and find yourself busy, busy, busy with work!!

Blessings to you!!
kat
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Leaving the Nest... Wait... WHA-!?  D,: Empty Re: Leaving the Nest... Wait... WHA-!? D,:

Post by EricaH Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:10 pm

I can't imagine how you are feeling... Besides summer camp, I've only been on my own a little bit and that was for 2 weeks on a trip and some distant family for a summer. I've always been near family (or my husband) and I even live in the town I was born in. Even though it seems scary now, you won't regret it later. I wish I had flown off a little more and carved a space in a new place for at least a little while. I have really deep roots now and lots of family close. I don't feel like I could move now unless I had to for the wonderful things it brings to my child (and me) living close to his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins (I also have a good job). Good luck on this new chapter in your life. You'll work it out and be stronger for it. Webcams are an amazing thing and your parents will always have advice ready to give.
EricaH
EricaH

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:51 pm

Awww Punky girl, you are a very strong young woman and I believe you'll do just fine. It is a new adventure, enjoy every part of it.
I remember when I first came to this country to go to school, flew with my mom, went to the school to finish my enrollment and right after that we went to look for apartments. 2 days later my mom went back to Venezuela. I was scared too, I was in a strange country, didn't know anybody and didn't even speak the language. My mom was terrified too.
It didn't take me long to adjust, I made new friends and met my other half.
Good luck!
maggie
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tra Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:10 pm

awe...youll be ok , youll be too busy to be lonely..classes, externship..and ooooooh my the yummy doctors! take your paints and sit with the kids in the childrens ward when you feel down im sure the smiles you create will make it alot easier!
Tra
Tra

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:17 pm

I have some awesome news that just might make all of the stress worth it. Mark Reid usually paints at Sturgis so you are going to have free front row tickets to see him in action! Yey for you!!! On a more serious note, I know you will be fine as long as you make the leap. When I was 16, I felt like I was being called to do ministry at a youth camp. I had to drive 6 hours by myself and find a place to stay for the 2 months that I would be staying there. I was terrified, but it turned out to be one of the best summers of my life.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:47 pm

Change is always scary. But you have to be one of the most capable 20 yr olds I know - so I'm thinking self doubt may be your worst enemy.
Is it possible to inquire with the hospital where the other nurses may be staying who are in temporary accomadation. I know here near the hospitals they have apartment blocks just for the nurses, a lot of them transfer around and do short stints - so they come and go alot, we also have a lot of nurses who come from overseas to work here.... I'm thinking they should be able to point you to local cheap accommodation until you get your bearings and can look for your own place, hey by then you might befriend some work colleagues and can shack up with them for the time you are there.
It always sounds scary to be in a new place on your own - but in my experience people love to help you out if you only give them the chance, and things have a way of just sorting themselves out for you if you keep the right frame of mind about it.
xx
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:06 pm

You can do it Punky. I am in awe of you for going to college and stepping out and grabbing what you want! Although it is scary for sure, think of it as a great adventure! You are in my prayers. ((hugs)) And Kat is right, your mom is only a phone call away. Smile
Jody Rife
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Punky!!! You'd do great! I had to leave the nest & go from Buffalo, NY to San Diego, CA. It was very scary, but I grew up & did well. I know it's such a big step, but think of it as an adventure. I'm praying for you(and your family because they'll miss you).
Could you room w/ someone else so your not all alone? Sometimes these roommates become lifelong friends!
Hugs!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Just think of this as a wonderful adventure Punky! 2 hours away is probably a lot more than you wanted, but it isn't too far for them (or you) to hop in the car and head over if the need arises. It does sound scary living alone... I've never actually lived alone since I got married at 18 and moved from my parents' house right into a home with my husband. Maybe you could find a roomie to share space with? I'll be thinking about you! At least we have the internet, eh?
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:05 am

In all honesty I would love a roomie if only to just have some company so I'm not all alone. The only problem is that in real life and in person, If I've never met or talked to you before, I'm really kind of anti-social and would feel really insecure and uncomfortable rooming with some one I don't know. No one else from my school is being sent to this hospital or anywhere near it for that matter, so a roommate is pretty much not an option right now.

Mom and I are going up to Sturgis again tomorrow to go apartment shopping for me and our first stop will likely be the local chamber of commerce to find where the most affordable place would be or to inquire about special hospital lodging, though I doubt that's an option as it's a relatively small looking hospital.

Wmeventservices, where does he paint!? I would love to go and just watch him work his magic, that would at least be something to occupy my time with on the weekends when I can't really afford to go home and I'm stuck wherever I'm going to be living with nothing to do.
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:17 am

Too bad you weren't coming to FL... my daughter's looking for a roommate & she's not the social butterfly either... She moves back home this weekend affraid
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:29 am

He's usually there for the huge bike week festival
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:23 am

Okay, so apartment shopping was pretty scary. Prices in the area were higher than we anticipated and of all the places we visited only one really stood out as amazing. It's a spacious apartment that given time to get it properly furnished and decorated, I could see myself living there comfortably for quite some time, even after I (hopefully) get the job.

The rest of the places we visited were very unimpressive and costed about the same. One place however was absolutely horrifying!!! The guy wanted $600/month for a miniscule studio apartment that was DIS-GUST-ING!!! I mean the smell alone about knocked mom and I over when we walked in and upon further inspection we found mold in the closet and the shower... and not just any mold, BLACK mold... the poisonous kind. It was so bad that I only spent MAYBE 2 minutes in the room and had to leave as my mom and I are both very allergic to mold of any kind and just that short amount of time spent in the room gave me an instant headache and scratchy dry throat and I felt itchy.

The other places were basically like over priced motel rooms... not really what I was looking for. I wanted to be sure I had a kitchenette so I could cook my meals.

The one we settled on is a small 2 bedroom apartment with a Euro kitchenette, nice big bathroom, plenty of closet space (including a WALK-IN CLOSET I about died when I saw that! I've always wanted one of those!), AND I can take my cat if I pay an additional small fee. It is a very nice looking apartment, and a place I would be very comfortable in and the neighborhood it is located in is very quiet and very secure. The best part? the monthly cost is only SLIGHTLY more expensive than the MOLDY apartment! So, I think we're going to go back and sign some paperwork tomorrow.

The only issue however is that I won't be able to move in before this weekend when I start my externship, as the application process can take longer than that. So, I may start off my terrifying adventure in Michigan staying in a local Super 8 motel.

Oh, and the other issue... I have no furniture for this new apartment. I mean, I have a bed I can take, but that's about it. Which means, I'm going to have a very bare apartment for a while until I save up some money to get some cheap furniture to get me by until I get a job.
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Back to top Go down

Post by photomomma6 Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:24 am

Sandra--I must tell you I used to live in Shipshewana, IN, which is just south of the border there---we used to go to Sturgis ALL the time because they have a great little coffeehouse there on the main drag, and a friend of mine lives just around the corner. I haven't seen her in a few years, and she's very ill, but she'd be someone to talk to? She's really sweet, and is disabled. You'll have to go to Shipshe and see all the stuff there--YOu'd be AMAZING at the flea market there--it's only $30 for an all day booth, and you would haul in the cash!!! They don't usually have a facepainter there from what I remember, but since it's the largest in the US, it wouldn't matter if there was another. It starts this month and goes til October--Tues-Weds every week. You'll be okay--STurgis is very small, and quaint. And they have a great Wal Mart. Very Happy
photomomma6
photomomma6

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-08-31

http://www.facelation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by photomomma6 Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:26 am

I have friends there that would put you up until you could get into your apt!!! Just let me know--I'll make some calls if you're interested--they're all great!
photomomma6
photomomma6

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:45 am

Yeah, I thought about that Darlene, but I'll be working days during my externship and won't be able to have any time off except the weekends, and then I'm planning on going home to visit and pack up more of my stuff or find more furniture.

As for getting put up someplace, I'm fine with a Super 8 until the apartment goes through. I would hate to impose on complete strangers, and I know my parents (namely my dad) wouldn't be too thrilled with the idea.

Omg, it was so sad.... I think my dad was HOPING my mom and I wouldn't find a place for me today, because when we were telling him about this apartment we want to get for me, he started tearing up a bit because he knows that his little girl is going to be leaving so soon. It was all I could do to keep from falling apart right then and there. I've always been a daddy's little girl, and his first thing that he said when it finally hit home to him that I"m leaving was "Who am I going to go to the games with?" and "Who's gonna go with me to the speedway?" (we have daddy-daughter nights ever friday and we usually either go out to eat at a local pub, go to the local high school football games, or go to the local racetrack in South Bend to watch the races on Friday nights).
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Back to top Go down

Post by freedspirit Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:46 am

Wow Punky.. I hardly know you but I'm really cheering you on..Growing pains are never easy but something beautiful is always on the other side.. Your mum and dad must be so proud of you...I absolutely loved my first flat..rummaging around for furniture..learning to cook more than two different meals..burning potatoes and having my vegetables cooked way before my meat..haha..Sitting on beer crates for dining room chairs for a few weeks..It's all part of the fun..With your personality you will not be lonely for long..I'm wishing you all the best Punky and I'm a little jealous that you'll get to sit in on Mark reid's workshops...lucky you!! Very Happy
freedspirit
freedspirit

Number of posts : 884
Registration date : 2011-03-03

http://www.facecreationz.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Beans Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:55 am

I don't know you personally but if I lived in that area (unfortunatley for you I live in Australia) I would billet you till you got on your feet! Good Luck you'll be fine. Just rock up to work with a quirky eyedesign (Daizy's hundreds and thousands spring to mind!) and you'll be right! cheers
Beans
Beans

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2011-03-09

http://www.madeupbyleona.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anramire2 Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:05 pm

I go to Shipshewanna every year when I visit my family in Pierston, IN.
Come to think of if they don' t have a facepainter. And there are enough kids there to get a booth and show a profit if its only $30.
Punky you'll do great! While I was in college (for my 1st degree) I lived in apartment with just a bed and TV for about a year. I was to busy studying to entertain. Plus I paid my way through college with out ever having to take out a loan b/c I held off on the furniture. You'll see, a year from now you'll be looking back and glowing with pride on all your accomplishments Very Happy
anramire2
anramire2

Number of posts : 853
Registration date : 2009-08-13

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/My-LoVe-for-ART/2104600

Back to top Go down

Post by nancy! Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Punky, what a giant step to take. Remember that the more you love your family, the more difficult the step to leave them. But you don't leave them completely, they will always be there to call, to visit.
In every post of you the love for your family (and their love for you) is so huge, you are really a very lucky girl to have them and that's one reason you find it so difficult to leave, I think. But I'm sure you will enjoy your new life eventually and it doesn't replace your earlier life, but adds to a new, 'richer' Punky(not in money, although that would be nice too lol). And the love of the people around you will still be there and new people will enter your life because I think you are a great person.
nancy!
nancy!

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by photomomma6 Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:43 pm

WEll, I promise whomever I'd set you up with would either be Amish or another form of Christian!!! They're so sweet up there--I'll be sure to come see you when I'm in town there--you need to give me a number where I can call you and we'll get together! Blessings to you!
photomomma6
photomomma6

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:28 am

Sure thing! I'm hoping to get a futon or a twin sized bed in the spare bedroom for when I have guests because my friends may want to visit, and I know mom and/or dad will be visiting me often, at least in the first month or so and they will need a place to sleep.

I've already got a Loveseat and an end table for my apartment thanks to a lady in my local Clown Alley. She didn't want them taking up space in her basement anymore, and I was happy to take them off her hands for her! I also have a bed that we just have to get down from the attic at my grandma's house.

I will be posting pics of the apartment on here sometime early next week! Very Happy
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm excited & teary eyed for you Punky! I'm so happy you have a family that loves you so much & you love them so much that leaving home is a sad thing! This is good! You are sooo blessed! Trust me, they'll find reasons to visit!
BTW, my hubby graduated today & our adult daughter moved back in today... Buisy fun day Very Happy
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:11 pm

you'll get used to living on your own, and you'll come to treasure it! I know I do!
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next