Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Repetitive Motion Injury

3 posters

Go down

Repetitive Motion Injury Empty Repetitive Motion Injury

Post by Lynnie Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 pm

Soooo...I've developed a raging case of tendonitis. Guess what the Dr. says the cause is?

Typing and doing henna. The overuse of my thumb to put pressure on things (keyboard and applicators) has caused inflammation and problems at the base of my thumb and in the tendon related to it going up into my wrist/arm.

Treatments?
Isolate it with a brace, ice, stretching it, ibuprofen and...not doing henna/typing. Like that is going to happen.

I will say it KILLS when I do henna, which makes me fearful going into summer- my busiest season. I really need to get a grip on it because my girls are not up to snuff yet in the henna dept.

My hub has it from typing and mousing his entire life and he sleeps in wrist braces but says he deals with the pain otherwise. That's not enough for me since it can make my hand shake and screw up my lines.

Ideas or thoughts?
Anyone else have this? What do you do?

Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Repetitive Motion Injury Empty Re: Repetitive Motion Injury

Post by Mehndi Masala Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:45 pm

First I am SUPER sorry to hear that! It is the terror/fear of any artist short of eye issues!!!!! affraid I know you are gonna HATE hearing this.....and I know you HATE cones...but many many henna artists switch to cones for this very reason. The jaq bottles put tremendous pressure on those muscles and can really make the problem worse. Even the soft bottles take more pressure than the alternative. I don't know how far gone this is for you, maybe you are past the point where cones won't even help...but it may be an option for lessening the impact of the injury and being able to salvage your summer gigs so you are not in agony.

I will be thinking of you and I really hope that maybe a short rest will do the trick!!

Good luck and I know this will get better for you! Optimism and a positive outlook can overcome soooo many hurdles!!!!!
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Moon Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:25 pm

Indeed that is why I use cones. Sleep in the braces. A ball mouse and an ergonomic keyboard are also very helpful.
Amy Moon
Amy Moon

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-01-03

http://www.hennaluna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum