Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Needs suggestions - children saying that the paint makes their faces feel tight

+6
Snazzy12
Noella
Psalmbook
jenjenhana
WickedBA
kat
10 posters

Go down

Needs suggestions - children saying that the paint makes their faces feel tight Empty Needs suggestions - children saying that the paint makes their faces feel tight

Post by kat Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:00 am

Hey... *S*

Today while I was painting two little girls they told me that their faces seemed "tight". I have also heard this from three other children.

Is there anything that I can do?
I'd read (somewhere) that you can add a smidgen of glycerin to help with paints cracking.... would a spritz of water/glycerin help the paints to feel less tight to them? Or anything else that I can do?

The children were all clean faced... and healthy.

I'm using mostly TAG paints (which I find a bit softer than DFX (it could all be in my mind.. *L*)), a few DFX paints, and Paradise for black and brown.

I find them to be somewhat dry myself - but, thought that it was just me.

Thanks in advance!
kat
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Needs suggestions - children saying that the paint makes their faces feel tight Empty Re: Needs suggestions - children saying that the paint makes their faces feel tight

Post by kat Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:07 am

And, a "thank you" to Daizy for the bunny face... I borrowed it today!

I had a very TOUGH act to follow.. one little girl wanted Daizy's bunny.. the other wanted rebecca's beautiful butterfly that she uses as her avatar.... aaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

There I was - thinkin' that a simple flower or unicorn would suffice!

whew... laughing
Dunno if I'll show them my "I really, REALLY wish I could do THAT" files again!

Just teasin'... they're my cousins... and it was worth it!
*s*
kat
kat

Back to top Go down

Needs suggestions - children saying that the paint makes their faces feel tight Empty Re: Needs suggestions - children saying that the paint makes their faces feel tight

Post by WickedBA Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:17 am

I have had a few children say it feels tight or itches. The first one to tell me it itches gave me a panic attack.lol. But it seems the feeling only last a min untill it completely dries. and it is very few kids. I hope i dont jinx myself but I have not had a reaction yet.
WickedBA
WickedBA

Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2010-10-21

http://WickedBodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jenjenhana Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:53 am

Tell them to make funny faces at each other. No, really - the skin gets itchy from the paint drying and making the skin tight, as said above. Once they stretch out the skin by making silly faces the itch usually goes away.
jenjenhana
jenjenhana

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-10-08

http://www.fenixfaba.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WickedBA Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:05 am

That is a great Idea!!
WickedBA
WickedBA

Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2010-10-21

http://WickedBodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:34 am

TAG/Wolfe/DFX will all tighten up on the skin. Adding glycerin won't help with that. I also recommend making faces. If they say an area itches I tell them to lightly tap it with their finger(if it's dry). Don't rub or it'll smear. Most kids forget about the tightening & itching. I use paradise or powders on especially itchy kids.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:49 am

Michelle G and jenjenhana - thanks!

I was hoping that there was a "fix".. but, after what Linda has said, it seems that there isn't..

Oh well, Paradise and Snaz, here I come!
kat
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:28 am

And don't spritz glycerine & water on kids - any of that near the eyes burns - I use it for sweat effects (for TV/Film) and once sprayed it without the actor protecting his eyes completely - really hurt.
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:45 am

Snaz is a big "tight" drying paint too. I get comments about that from kids fairly often... I also tell them to make faces - generally I make faces at them and tell them to copy me! What a Face

It is the water evapourating that caused the "tightness" and when they move and stretch the facial muscles it will "loosen" the paint and get rid of the tight feeling. BUT... it also (particularly with Snaz) causes the paint to break up and loosen, falling off in a fine powder which makes the colours look faded after a short period of time (again, particularly with Snaz).

Part of it, I think, is applying the paint more thickly than absolutely necessary... we tend to want a beautiful, smooth, opaque, completely even application of bright colour... which usually means it has been applied with more product than really is needed to create the colour base.

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Noella, thanks!
I wasn't going to spray the faces... just mist (once or twice) the paints and let them sit for a few days - to absorb the glycerin before using it again.smile

Shannon, thanks for the tips! I know that you use Snaz a LOT... (sheesh... do I sound like a stalker? )*LOL* Suspect

er... I only know that because I read most EVERYthing of yours that I run across..... uhm.... I STILL sound stalker-ish... affraid
heh...

Anyway...

I did use a rather heavy hand.... as you can see from my rabbit face! I'd LOVE to be able to get that watercolor (yet oh-so-smooth) effect.... maybe someday... s*

Again, thanks!
I'll have to incorporate face gyrations into my face painting repartee !
kat
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Ah! sorry, just wasn't sure and wanted to pass along the "ick" before someone else did what I did....
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:10 pm

Noella.. *LOL*
I definitely appreciate it!

I hate those kinds of moments.... you know..... the.... oh my GOODNESS, I wish that I hadn't done THAt!!!

Unfortunately for me.... I have more of those than I would ever admit!

ahem
kat
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:13 pm

After reading what everyone's been saying about maybe there being too much paint.... etc... I'm laughing... thinking that my cousins probably thought "WHAT is she doing to us????!!!????" as I sat there applying, applying, APPLYING the base coat so that I'd have a nice base.....

I'll have to apologize to them... though, I doubt it will be with a straight face!
kat
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by Snazzy12 Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:25 am

I just put global face paint on my face for the first time and about a half hour later my face started to get tighter and tighter and tighter so I had to wash it off. I dont know if it was my skin or the paints.Has anyone else have this happen or know why it happens? I m a little concerned about using it on anyone else. I used the regular global pink and purple colors.

Snazzy12

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2015-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Artsupplies Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:52 am

It is little common and kids skin is too much soft that's why they feel tightness. Choose non toxic and good quality face paints for their health and security.
Artsupplies
Artsupplies

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-11-03

http://www.artshedonline.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:57 am

Global is a good brand. Better than "non toxic and good quality" it is FDA compliant. Was it painted or sponged? How thick? Try different techniques and see if it makes a difference. You might want to try a softer paint for bases like Paradise or Kryolan. Then use the waxy paints (like Wolfe, Global, DFX) for line work.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by facemasters Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:46 pm

Paradise is the best make up hands down. Because it is made in the USA and supports American Jobs. Even with paradise which is predominantly made from organic base materials such as avocado and coconut you have the tightening of the makeup against the skin causing an itching sensation. Your best bet is to tell the child to tap the itchy spot with the tip of their finger.

It's more of a challenge when humidity is around 50%+ and temps are relatively mild as it takes the makeup longer to set than a very arid or hot climate which either speeds up or slows down the setting/drying speed respectively.

facemasters

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:01 pm

Well I live in Canada facemasters so American Jobs aren't really on my radar lol.

As for the main question. I tell them if the paint feels 'tight' that they have to make a lot of funny faces to loosen it up. Works like a charm, and it's funny to say/do. Razz
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum