Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to do Shading - like in the weekly animal challenge "Bugs"

+4
Psalmbook
nancy!
Mizzzard
Lauri Strandell
8 posters

Go down

How to do Shading - like in the weekly animal challenge "Bugs" Empty How to do Shading - like in the weekly animal challenge "Bugs"

Post by Lauri Strandell Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Link to shaded bugs

I'm more of a cartoon person but I am fascinated by the bugs and shading from that link, also I saw some bubbles on a thread and someone offered to show how to shade the bubbles and now i cant find the thread.

Metina maybe someone might be able to do a step by step for the newsletter. Thanks for the help. Lauri

Lauri Strandell

Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

How to do Shading - like in the weekly animal challenge "Bugs" Empty Re: How to do Shading - like in the weekly animal challenge "Bugs"

Post by Mizzzard Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:25 pm

I'm more of a cartoon person too. I love how so many people on here can do such realistic paintings.
I don't know if this helps but Linda once told me to think about a light bulb hanging somewhere near your image (like off to one side) then imagine where the light would naturally fall to create highlights and shadows. My execution still stinks but when I picture my little dangly light bulb it helps me figure out where things might go.
Mizzzard
Mizzzard

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-08-09

http://www.wix.com/ballamfacepainting/1

Back to top Go down

How to do Shading - like in the weekly animal challenge "Bugs" Empty Re: How to do Shading - like in the weekly animal challenge "Bugs"

Post by nancy! Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:36 pm

I couldn't remember where I found the inspiration for my spiders, but I finally found it! Very Happy
This link leads to the snazaroo step by step site. Scroll down for the spider (the other step by steps are worth watching too!).
http://www.snazaroo.us/09/9step.htm
nancy!
nancy!

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:01 pm

I guess I need to hit the forum shop since I don't have any light brown paint...from the snaz tut, any suggestions on color?

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by nancy! Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

ha ha, good excuse to buy some other paints when you have to order brown.
I didn't use any brown for my spiders. I started the spider with black (legs are 3 teardrops). then put some grey/white on it. And finally shadowed with grey (put lines from the top of the leg to the body). The snazaroo spider is much better though, maybe buy the brown anyway Smile
nancy!
nancy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:40 pm

I use a black or brown wash of paint. This is watered down paint. The lid to my dfx black has dried black stains & works perfect for shading. I just wet a brush & swish it around in the lid.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by nancy! Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:46 pm

that's a good idea Linda, have to try that.
nancy!
nancy!

Back to top Go down

Post by CABBYJ Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:23 am

I struggle a lot with placing my shadows, I never understood the mumbo jumbo my teacher was telling me about how the light hits & casts a shadow. Cursed ADD!!! bounce
CABBYJ
CABBYJ

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2009-07-29

http://www.evolutionz.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Linda, I will try the wash from a lid as well, I have the dfx brown and maybe I will make a wash out of that to try. "real life" art scares the p00p outta me, No but this forum makes me so inspired too try...
I'm hoping for a step-by-step in the next newsletter.......eyes closed, fingers crossed.....

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:41 pm

Shading....

1. I use the base color and either add darker or lighter (grey/white) colors to make a gradient of colors.

2. I use a wash (dark/light) to highlight as needed.

I don't always use B&W... often I will use a close color with a darker/lighter hue to add depth to what I'm painting.

hope this helps

kat
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:31 pm

This is why I wish I could teach. It's something easier shown than explained.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:40 pm

It is hard for me cause I'm very much a visual learner

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by paintedfacestelluride Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:24 pm

I just took Carolyn Ropers class and she used black eyeshadow - it looked amazing and was so easy!
paintedfacestelluride
paintedfacestelluride

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 am

That's a good idea. Black "bugshaddow". <------har har har
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down