Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PPF gig question

+2
Perry Noia
Terina
6 posters

Go down

PPF gig question Empty PPF gig question

Post by Terina Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:45 pm

I am interested to know what other people do if they are participating in a festival that hosts more than one face painter. I mean do you go or not go? I have a festival that I have been invited to and they told me up front that they would allow whomever wanted to set up to do so. They had a painter last year and she has not turned in her fee money but, if I go ahead and turn in fee money in does not mean exclusion. This is a big festival so, I think there is plenty of business. But I find that a little odd. So far other people are telling me if I get my money in first then I am exclusive...well not in all cases but most. On the bright side we are getting paid to do entertainment there. (Like our magic) So, it would make sense to at least try it.

What is typical? I mean how many painters are usually at a festival?
Terina
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

PPF gig question Empty Re: PPF gig question

Post by Perry Noia Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:18 pm

it is very typical for there to be other painters and if the event is big enough, there will usually still be plenty of business for you. The only time I would really worry about it is if it is the first year for it, the venue is small, there is a high admission price or it is not really geared towards kids/families.

Glitterfly and I shared a booth at an annual event last summer where there were at least 2 other face paint booths, a temporary tattoo booth and an air brush thing. Over the 3 days (despite heavy rain, a tornado over night, and 3 other large events going on the same weekend) we still both came away with a fair profit and plan to go back again this year. Just be sure to ask that you are not placed too close to the other painter... if you can, ask to be located near the food and/or rides area so that the people have a chance to see you while they are hanging around waiting for that stuff.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:01 pm

I agree, it shouldn't be an issue unless it's a smaller festival, or you are set up right next to one another. Be sure and ask that they space you out as well as possible, while still keeping you close to the children's activities.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Ok, these were my options. If I pay first then I can say sort of where I want. She said there were water slides away from the festival area and that the painter last year went there and did well. I did tell her that I didn't want to be right beside another painter and would prefer being near the kids area...especially since performing. But, the kids area in and of itself is free. So technically I can't be in it since I am charging but can be near it somewhat. The other thing is vendor area is in a separate location all together from the kids area. What would be the best option? I would think water slides would be bad...but I don't know. I think food is mingled throughout it. I have till Tuesday to decide something.

Terina
Terina

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Oh and I was asked about charging a discounted to maybe paint or balloon in the free area...but, I am not sure. I know it is a big festival so I can make some good money PPF but the discount rate is a done deal and guaranteed....so what do you think? I usually get $100 an hour but most people charge $85 around here an hour so how discounted should one go really? And what is better seeing what I can make or going with the sure thing?
Terina
Terina

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:49 am

if they are willing to pay you hourly, I'd go with that myself... in case the weather is bad or whatever, you are guaranteed.

But if you want to stay charging PPF, at least ask to be on a corner facing the way most of the traffic will be coming in. Corners definitely get the most visibility.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Ask if you can be located right outside the free children's area so that people passing into and out of it will see you. This is usually where I am placed for festivals and it works out great. The water slide area doesn't sound too good, especially since it's away from the rest of the festival. She said the FPer last year was there, but that FPer hasn't registered again this year (yet) which may be telling!

Sorry I'm no help with the ballooning thing. If they don't want to pay at least most of your normal rate, I'd think you could make more FPing if it's a nice big festival. Unless it rains. Or is miserably hot. Ya know. Razz
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks guys, I sincerely appreciate the advice.Last year the weather was like 98...which is unseasonable for the year here. Usually August is miserable. I am planning to get some starblends. I didn't think the water seemed to great either. I told the lady that my paints were water based so, that may not be good! LOL...I am going to see what I can negotiate this week.
Terina
Terina

Back to top Go down

PPF gig question Empty Festival Notes

Post by wonderbrush Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:17 am

Hi Terina,

My business is about 80% festivals so I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

The ladies have made excellent points about having corner booth and not worrying too much if there is another painter. I have had other painters and henna folks at festivals before. One thing I would defiantly support is having your booth located away from theirs. Also don't be afraid to adjust what you are doing a little bit based on what they are doing. For example, if you get there and they are painting lots of butterflies then try to paint more of something else like tigers. Create your own "niche" within the market if needed.

Also, just a reminder (I am sure you are super sweet!) but it's easy to get caught up in the moment with other vendors and be territorial or defensive. Just remember to be extra nice to everybody involved in the festival -- from your neighbors, to other painters, to the festival organizers. I have seen too many stressed out vendors in my day!!

One other big thing at some festivals is trading services. You might want to consider what you would trade painting for -- food etc. Often times I try to find other vendors at the event, especially teenage girls, and ask them if they want free" swirly eyes" on them. While they are selling hot dogs or whatnot people will see your designs!

Good luck and have fun!

wonderbrush

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-04-06

http://www.wonderbrushart.com ; www.facebook.com/wonderbrushface

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:38 am

wonderbrush wrote:Hi Terina,
Often times I try to find other vendors at the event, especially teenage girls, and ask them if they want free" swirly eyes" on them. While they are selling hot dogs or whatnot people will see your designs!

Brilliant!
MelodyFPL
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:03 pm

Well, the event went a little different than expected. I am finding out that my booking events with no face painters like the last couple of years is not going to happen this year. There was in deed another painter and another tattoo artist there. I have two other festivals booked that already have another painter and tattoo artist. I guess I have just been lucky thus far.

We got rained out one day but did decent business the first day even with all the competition. I in fact, had kids that paid $15 from the other painter and wipe off the paint to get repainted by me. The down side was that they didn't keep me near the kids area at all as discussed. In fact, I was the furthest away that I could be LOL! But, the other vendors were all very nice and supported us and helped to send kids our way.

I think it was a great success even though there were other people to compete with. I hope that the other festivals turn out so great for us. I am used to making a certain $$$$ at these things but, am not sure with competition what is average. I felt happy with this particular event because it seemed like all was against us when we actually got started.

I hope that all of our other events work out great this fall!

Terina
Terina

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm glad things worked out for you!!

I am on the fence about this myself. There's a festival with foot traffic of about 10,000.. but, they already have two face painters... the COC told me that one was more "cheek art", but the other was 'FFS'.. full face service. *G*

I'm debating on whether or not to go.. I've had booths there for several years... just not face painting.. they want me to come (COC).. but.. yanno.... sitting high upon the fence of indecision... I'm so new that I don't know much about how these things work... (how many FP's per festival population is appropriate)

They also said that they don't limit vendors (selling the same/similar product/service)... soooooooooo.... aaaaaaarrgh! *L*

wishing you and yours all the best
kat
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:15 pm

That is really a tough one. I am interested in hearing what others have to offer about this. I have done several festivals but this was the first one that I had done with another "like Me" artist really. So I was nervous about foot traffic. It as supposed to be about 10,000 people but it did get rained out so not sure about the real #'s.

I did a festival last October that was local. I was really upset with them. I was the only face painter but the problem was that they allowed someone to come in and do free face painting for a cabin rental place. The paint wasn't even really great but no one wanted to pay for my faces when they could get by with free. I did have a few patrons but they boasted that it was a 15,000 people event. It was not at all. That was the only festival that I decided to never do again. The area that it was in seemed touristy but the local people were really the ones supporting the event. Money was a little tight in that area so, I didn't fair as well as usual that event.

It is really tough. I know that they event people want our booth money so they want us to come. and we want to make money so We want to go. I do like festivals but, I have found that it is sort of hit or miss really. In a situation like that I would think that it would be more of who saw who first. Maybe I am wrong on that? Insight would be appreciated.
Terina
Terina

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:37 pm

The general rule of thumb is 10k attendees per face painter in order to stay nice and busy. Of course, there are always exceptions. I've been to smaller festivals where I was much busier than I ever expected, and other larger ones where there were tons of people but no one getting painted.

I agree Terina, it has a LOT to do with who saw who first. Location is so tricky, too. If you are too close to the entrance, people won't be ready to spend their money just yet. If you are too far back, they may have already spent it. *g* I'm usually located next to the children's area, but this has drawbacks too. Usually the children's area is set apart from the rest of the festival, so less actual crowds, and you miss out on teens and adults who may have been interested. Plus there are usually freebies or volunteer painters there which will compete with you.

Ahh, it's just a toss up how any fest will go on any given year. Your best bet is to steer clear of other face painter locations, and use lots of big visual banners, bubble machines, bright colors, etc to draw eyes to your booth.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down