Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paint!!! Thanks Metina! (and a question about the color red)

+8
SuzySparkles
Linda Adams
TheGildedCat
Gamezgirl
wmeventservices
barbb919
maggie
kat
12 posters

Go down

Paint!!! Thanks Metina! (and a question about the color red) Empty Paint!!! Thanks Metina! (and a question about the color red)

Post by kat Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks to Metina I now have an assortment of paint!

It's already been sliced and diced to make splits! laughing
Unfortunately, the DFX red is.... well.... orange-red. Shocked

Who knew?? Also, I ordered not one, but TWO of the darn things! (I really should wear my glasses!!

I tried reading all the posts here that I could before ordering... but, hey... there are hundreds and hundreds of them! I must have missed some along the way!

I've made a leaf split using DFX yellow, light green, dark green and brown.
Another using White, light blue, a sliver of dark blue and light green.
Purple, pink and white make up my last split that I want to make until I can get more paints and a good red!
I want to make a flame (yellow, orange, red, and a sliver of black) with the red, as well as a white, pink and red. I'm thinking of making a Peace Rose combo... creamy yellow, peachy pink and a dark pink... yum! I used the cases they came in to make my splits until I can get some containers... (I couldn't WAIT... I'm in LOVE with splits!!!

Anyway.. that's for the next order... *L*

Question: what RED would you recommend?

I've also noticed (as I painted both arms up to my underarms testing all the colors) that the DFX blues (light and the mid blue color), DFX light/medium greens, and the yellow stain my skin some what. Is that what ya'll see when you use these colors?

I spoke with the Principle of the school that I work most at.. she said that they could/would use me (I showed her my phone pics.... I've got to find the camera cable so that I can share here!) twice this year if I didn't mind! She said that they would supply the paints... I told her that I was using professional paints that could only be obtained through an online site.. and that I had a GREAT source (a plug for Metina). I am going to volunteer my time as I like to give back to this school in particular as they hire me (call me in to work) about 90% of the time!
I thought that it would be great practice for me - not a lot of pressure... as I helped them last year and saw what their "face painting" consisted of....

Now, how to make enough cash to fund those metallix and neon colors!
not to mention all the other colors that I'm yearning for! bounce bounce bounce
kat
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Paint!!! Thanks Metina! (and a question about the color red) Empty Re: Paint!!! Thanks Metina! (and a question about the color red)

Post by maggie Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Woohoo! So happy you got your paint and you made SPLITS I love you

So sorry about the red, I have snazaroo red and it is the perfect spiderman red, then a little palette that came with the klutz and the red it more like a very deep magenta.
I am too wondering if there is a red that is good for line work. Waiting to see what others think.
maggie
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Paint!!! Thanks Metina! (and a question about the color red) Empty Re: Paint!!! Thanks Metina! (and a question about the color red)

Post by barbb919 Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:38 pm

I also noticed the dfx red is orange red.. i ordered the tag red and like the color much better. wolfe red is good to
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:18 pm

I still love Wolfe red.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:19 pm

I love the wolfe red but mine isn't really red, it is a gorgeous color specially when mixed with a little white it glows.
maggie
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:36 am

I don't use snaz, except the red, it really is the very best spidey red. I use wolfe red for blood and darker red stuff.
As for staining...please remember that your arms and legs are dryer than your face, so yes, alot of diff paints (even some snaz) will stain arms and legs. When doing face painting, the skin often has a chance to release oils and most colours from most brands will wash right off with soap, water and a cloth. The ONLY colour in 2 years that I refuse to use is Paradise hot rod green metallic. That one stained everyone i put it on the one time I used it. As for Wolfe red/black etc...it all comes off washed properly. I do still have a dragon on my leg from last week, it was painted in wolfe black...and yes I have showered...but the skin is diff than face skin. My legs were super dry...hence I still have a dragon LOL It all depends on where you put it. *The PS to this is some kids have very dry skin, then yes, staining can be an issue and i choose colours more carefully for them*
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:28 am

I was really bummed to find out how orange the DFX is as well. Plus, for some reason, I have a tough time trying to get it to cream up when I use it. It's very hard compared to the Wolfe. I love, love, love my Wolfe red, instead. I also have Snaz red for bases (but not for linework). Someone posted a Tag/DFX/Wolfe swatch comparison recently - probably worth searching for.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:17 am

I use Wolfe red for line work, Snaz red for bases
Linda Adams
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 am

wolfe red, true red...
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:44 am

I use only snaz so, well my opinion on the red is obvious.

But on the staining, if you find it sticking after washing with soap and water, apply a little moisturizer, cold cream or even mineral oil... wait a few minutes and try washing with soap and water again. It will usually take it off better.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:55 pm

TAG red is a real red.
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:05 pm

I wonder if I got a bad batch, my wolfe red isn't all the way red Sad
Well, it came in a palette with the klutz book and found at target on clearance for 4 bucks so I am not going to complaint. lol
Good to know about the tag red Gina.
maggie
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:35 pm

DFX red makes pretty good blood(sometimes I'll mix a touch of black to it to make it bloodier).
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Hmm, I wonder if they reformulated? I have DFX red (but from a while ago) and it's a deep red, but not orangey.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:34 am

Thanks for all the great responses!

I was using iTouch yesterday to read the cork, but, found it too difficult to try to type/respond. laugh

It's GREAT for some things, it's not great for typing... those little oh-so-sensitive keys drive me insane!

Thanks, maggie!

I'm going to make a brown split today... though, I'm wondering if I should wait until I get a cream color... I thought about a white/yellow/brown/sliver of black to use for snakes and such.
I've got the snaz orange, and it's very vibrant.

barb, yeah, and I've got TWO of them! laughing... why couldn't it have been white that I clicked two on? *G*
I'm going to research faces that I can use this red on.... and bribe the kids to select those faces! hehe
Thanks for the recommendation!

Thank you, wm!
I've heard several say that they like the wolf red. nod
I loveLOVElove your avatar.. the roses are lovely!

Gameszgirl, barb mentioned (above) that she liked the snaz too! It's definitely on my consideration list.
Thanks! After reading your reminder about skin and the dryness, I realized that I've painted on my poor arm for the last week or so... washing it MUCH more than usual.. heck, it's probably parched.. no wonder the paints stained my skin there.. laughing at my self I'm going to moisturize like crazy!
I'll remember those two colors.. I think that someone (I don't remember who) mentioned something similar about the Paradise hot rod green. I had heard that the DFX stained, so - for kids I bought the Paradise black... thus far, it seems to be easily removed.
Thanks!

Gilded Cat, I was as well.... I've not used it enough to know how the consistency is with water... thanks for the heads up.... and pointing out that snaz might be better for bases than linework.

Linda & Suzy, thank you both!!
seeing that there are several in agreement about Wolf & Snaz
It really helps to get an experienced painters point of view on things such as this.it saves me from spending my money unwisely. and for that, I am in deep appreciation ... for everyone's input!!

Thanks, Perry!
I'm going to moisturize the heck out of myself! *G*
These tips are a godsend... (tucking them away into my notebook)

Gina, thanks!
I had thought to try some of the tag paints. maggie pointed me to the pearl white and old gold.. they're GREAT!!! Thanks, maggie!
I was wondering how they compared to DFX.... matte, neon, pearl, etc. I thought I would try to find any old posts on the comparison before asking on the cork.... I hate to rehash an old, much hashed subject. (not wanting to waste corkspace)
Thanks for your recommendation!

Psalmbook, thanks!
I'll keep that in mind! To, I thought it would work well as a midtone for a flame split cake.

JBax, I'm not certain.
This is my first foray into buying such products. But, from what others have said, it seems that there's a general consensus that it is a bit orange-y. I'm glad that yours isn't!
Thanks!
kat
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down