Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

last minute (children's theatre) gig - need some advice, please!

3 posters

Go down

last minute (children's theatre) gig - need some advice, please! Empty last minute (children's theatre) gig - need some advice, please!

Post by BarbieSmith Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:57 pm

The local theatre called and presented me with a cute request. (I had talked to this lady before, she was chatting with me at one of my events, and knows me from my DD's ice skating, and I like her... as background).

They have a *children's* show - THIS weekend, and next weekend - called "Fairytale Justice" (little girl, wolf, troll, fairies). They wanted to have us paint as a *fundraiser* for them, before, during (intermissions), and after the shows (show is only 1 hour long). I had mentioned this fundraising option to them before, and quoted them 30% of all PPF funds received (is this too high BTW?). I told them we would be delighted to be there for opening night on Friday, see how it goes, and then if it goes well, to continue for 2 Saturday and 2 Sunday shows, and maybe repeat the next weekend.

I asked Rmplemntz to help me on opening night, because I expect that all face painting will need to be done within a narrow window - is this true? Will we be hit the 1/2 hour before the event, the 1/2 after the show, and during the 2 15-minute intermissions? Or something like that?

This theatre only seats just over 250 (it is very intimate) - with a kids show, is this even enough to generate sales? First night is sold out, already, and small-town media will be there.

I will definitely do Friday night, as a "fun" thing to do, to learn/experiment, to make the connections, and for the media. But I am nervous because this is just SO different than anything else I have ever done - and *they* have no experience with FP PPF either Smile

ANY advice greatly appreciated! I am sure I have overlooked so much!!!
Thanks,
Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

last minute (children's theatre) gig - need some advice, please! Empty Re: last minute (children's theatre) gig - need some advice, please!

Post by Psalmbook Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:05 pm

I've sold items in the lobby for the ballet and if it's anything like that, most your work will be in that intermission window. You'll get some before & some after, but most people will be trying to get to their seats before & get out after. I usually do 15% not 30% donation, but it's really your call. It's not going to be a huge money maker, just cause you're limited on time, but if you can get a card into as many hands as possible it may help you get future gigs. Make sure you're set up behind a table or somehow blocked off from the crowd. It can get a little overwhelming with all those people & your kit.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

last minute (children's theatre) gig - need some advice, please! Empty Re: last minute (children's theatre) gig - need some advice, please!

Post by BarbieSmith Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Linda, thanks! There are 2 15 minute intermissions - eek, that is not much time. But yes, we will try to get those business cards out!
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:41 pm

I agree with Linda,it is really going to be intermission where you are hit the heaviest. So, I would make sure to have a fabulous display with some good photos of your work. Paint something really elaborate on yourself too. I did this at Christmas for my media and got three interviews. They were all from small presses but at least interviews and pictures. Make sure to have fliers with your business info on it available too.

This sounds like great PR...good for you!
Terina
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down