Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to wash it off!

+11
JUST
Tash
Perry Noia
Miss Ronnie
summers4seasons
amy from the ville
mamakatrien
Psalmbook
Anita's Faces
CottonKandyClown
Miss Yoko
15 posters

Go down

How to wash it off! Empty How to wash it off!

Post by Miss Yoko Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:34 pm

In case you don't know it Razz

Last edited by Miss Yoko on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miss Yoko
Miss Yoko

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2009-09-24

http://www.fancifulfaces.com

Back to top Go down

How to wash it off! Empty Re: How to wash it off!

Post by CottonKandyClown Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:52 pm

My favorite way is with simple tear free shampoo. It so easy and only takes a minute and no staining Smile
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita's Faces Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Yes, Baby shampoo works well for me either!
Anita's Faces
Anita's Faces

Number of posts : 1044
Registration date : 2010-02-13

http://www.anitasfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Yoko Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:37 pm

I did the video to put on my website for my customers.
But I do prefer to first get off the paint with a well wringed wash cloth and then go with the baby shampoo. Its really less messy.
Miss Yoko
Miss Yoko

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2009-09-24

http://www.fancifulfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:32 am

Great tutorial!
I've discovered if I get the washcloth wet w/ warm water, lay it on my face & gently press, it pulls the layers of paint off. I rinse the washcloth & repeat till most the paint is off & then wash with Cetaphil skin cleanser. The perfumes in the baby shampoo were too harsh for my skin. It probably would be ok if I got my face painted once in a while, but as often as I'm painted, it was starting to burn me.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:40 am

My son has very pale skin and I am having a lot of trouble taking off the green and blue face paint ( I am using snazaroo). I usually take most of the paint of with toddler face whipes and then use water and baby soap to really clean his face. All colours go away , but for the blues and the greens.
So far I have tried de-make-up wipes for eye makeup, cleansing gel for waterproof mascara...nothing works. He just has to wear it off and look a little sickly for a day or so...

What can I do? Is it the brand, or do you have a similar experience with blue and green?
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by amy from the ville Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:51 am

green always leaves a greenish tinge on my face that never fails to get a comment...
amy from the ville
amy from the ville

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:25 am

Apply lotion and let it soak in for about 15-30 minutes then wipe again. It's like magic!
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:15 am

Thanks! I'll try that!
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by summers4seasons Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:19 am

Try wiping it with olive oil. And moisturize his face well before you paint him. If that doesn't fix it try putting down a thin layer of white first as a barrier.
summers4seasons
summers4seasons

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:08 am

All of the above work...but I still think that massaging Vasoline onto the skin is the best...and it's cheaper than olive oil, especially when you can use generic petroleum jelly from a super discount store...huge jar for a buck.
geek
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:54 pm

lotion, cold cream, baby oil, olive oil... any of those will open the pores and get the blue and green out of their skin.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Petroleum Jelly is hard on your liver. Olive oil is healthier Wink
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:43 pm

I saw a test on this on Gary's forum - she painted both arms - washed one with water first then soap - the other arm she wet the soap and rubbed all the colours together and then washed it off.
The second way worked fastest and best. surprisingly.

I now stick with the rule.... soap up and rub it around.... it does make what you think is an uncleanable mess but it all comes off every time.... and I am fish belly white!
I think it's like the ice cube thing.... I mean who would think hot water makes ice faster then cold water does?
Who would think making more of a mess would make it easier to get off.

As good as the baby shampoo thing is - most people I body paint wouldn't have baby shampoo at home so I need to give them a way to make sure it all comes off.
I told the hulk to rub-a-dub-dub before he washed off and he said it all came off no problems.... and boy was he GREEN!
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:42 pm

CottonKandyClown... I did some online "research" about petroleum jelly... not enough time in my day to be scientific about it..... but... since there are questions out there about the safety of petroleum jelly I cannot recommend it any longer for face paint removal. I come from the old school where Pond's Cold Cream and Vasoline were always used... Another new trick for an old dog today!!!! But please don't tell me that cod cream causes cancer............!!!
geek
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by JUST Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:47 pm

OLIVE OIL OR COCONUT OIL is the healthy way to go . Smile
JUST
JUST

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMarie727 Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:58 pm

I've never had a problem taking it off i just use hott water and soap i find the hardest colors to get off of course black and red and green
AshleyMarie727
AshleyMarie727

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Emma and I made a face washing video for the "Lather Lift" method, which is basically as Tash described. As you can see in the video Emma has blues and greens on her face and it wipes right off.

There is a huge commercial at the front for not using acrylics so you can skip it. It does work. It looks horrible, especially if you've used a lot of black, but FOR SOME REASON, it works. I think it might have to do with the dry paint attaching to the lather rather than the skin.

Usually, the only trouble I have is paint staying around the eyes...probably because the soap doesn't make it there. I didn't know about the Gary Cole demo, I'd like to link to it on the video if you have a link, Tash.

https://youtu.be/7cHmaQj1EYI

D.
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Here's a video I did back before Halloween Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS3MVxRCCOo&feature=channel_video_title
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Check the labels of many lotions. They'll usually include "petrolatum," which is petroleum-based. I'm pretty careful about lotions, since my dry skin makes me have to use it all winter long. The skin is the largest organ in the body, and it does absorb what's on it INTO you.

The organic lotions and the kinds sold in stores where people eat more helath-consciously tend to say things on the labels like "no petroleum, no parabens, no sulphates," etc.

It's worth looking for and paying a bit extra for, in my opinion.

Also, just to add my third cent to my two cents above, all those "anti-bacterial" soaps and lotions that have hit the market the past ten years are not really such a good thing. What they do is kill some bacteria and leave some alive. The ones that are left alive have survived the lotion because they have some genetic ability to fight off the anti-bacterial properties in the lotion. These stronger bacteria then reproduce and create stronger strains of bacteria which can be more harmful in the long run.

If we just stuck to good handwashing with REGULAR soap and water, it would be much much healthier in the long run. The news continually reports and recycles this story, and the companies continue to keep making and selling the anti-bacterial products in bigger and bigger numbers.

Okay. That's my rant for a Friday night. If you want to research all this more, just go surfing around.

I stick to body products that are free of petroleum, and to regular soaps and shampoos. I've researched it a lot and this seems the best way to go. Good stores to get these better products are Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Fairway, health food stores, and then also, some of the products you find there can be bulk ordered at various online sites.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:45 pm

I agree. I'm not much of a lotion user. I prefer organic products and food.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe mineral oil is another name for petroleum. Check those labels!

I was such a crazy new mom when my babies were born. They were both cloth diapered, no plastics till they were older, and no lotions(well some organic sunscreens in the summer).
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Okay, I'll add one more thing to my rant! Smile

Most of the "cleaning aisles" in grocery stores are FULL of unnecessary (and quite harmful) chemicals, colorants, perfumes, dyes, etc.

Ever see all the glass cleaners that are purple and orange and etcetera? That's just excess coloring for our visual entertainment. We should all really stick to rainbows and flowers, which are nature's way of providing color!

I switched all my household cleaning to basically baking soda and white vinegar. For kitchen surfaces, I mix vinegar and H2O in a squirt bottle. Now, I am not a meat eater, so salmonella is not a huge concern of mine. I will say that if you are preparing meat on surfaces, you might find a real need for a product that DOES have the proper chemicals in it to kill that stuff.

I'm not a die-hard. I had a tough cleaning job recently that required more than plain vinegar, and while I wasn't thrilled, I had to, so I went for it and purchased a bottle of petroleum-based ick to get the job done.

But for regular daily stuff, I've used only the baking soda (sinks, the bowl, etc.) and vinegar for years. Much much healthier.

Also, read the labels on a lot of baby products. Baby oil is petroleum-based. But I thin Burt's Bees and some other companies put out petroleum-free stuff for babies, and bigger people too.

Okay, sorry so off-topic! Just a topic near and dear to me. I would love to see people use healthier stuff. It would greatly reduce allergies, sinus conditions, and so much other stuff. Fresh clean air and good basic products would be a wonderful start.

Surprised)

Have a great weekend!

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:15 am

That's a great idea! I'll buy a bunch of microfiber cloths, they're available with flowers and nice colours for a very cheap price. I can give them to the persons who visit my workshop with a little card with washing-instructions!
Sounds like a nice service doesn't it?!
l!zzie
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:41 am

Microfiber wash clothes would be cute to hand out with biz cards Smile

I'm also a vinegar water cleaner. I've even trained my hubby to use it, too! LOL
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down