Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

today's excitement #1 (of 2): I am in at the market!

+3
contrachapado
Perry Noia
BarbieSmith
7 posters

Go down

today's excitement #1 (of 2):  I am in at the market! Empty today's excitement #1 (of 2): I am in at the market!

Post by BarbieSmith Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:55 pm

Our Central Market (York, PA) will have me starting Nov 6th. They will not charge me for a space, because I explained to them how I was "entertainment" and not a *vendor*. (Thank you to you all for explaining this so well!). I also explained that they would be supporting a local artist, and that I would mention that whenever I could. I get to charge what I charge and do what I do, at my discretion. I can add on balloons, and glitter tats, etc. I can stop anytime if it is not profitable to me (she was concerned about that, isn't that sweet?).

The reason I am so excited is because I have been so very hesitant to do any marketing - I have been just going by word-of-mouth and painting in the park (I guess that IS marketing, though, eh?). But this time, I read in the newspaper about the changes the Market was making (and how they were trying to attract a younger and hipper demographic) and so I wrote a proposal to the Ops Manager, and she was delighted.

I am pleased. I know that markets can be hit-or-miss in terms of profitability. If you are in one, would you care to share any tips, and how it is working out for you?

Thank you, hugs,
Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

today's excitement #1 (of 2):  I am in at the market! Empty Re: today's excitement #1 (of 2): I am in at the market!

Post by Perry Noia Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:24 pm

LOTS of business cards... can't emphasize that enough.

if you do balloons or something else, add it for sure... most of my every week repeat customers don't do face painting every week, just once in a while, but they'll always buy a balloon or two because it is cheaper. They want to support me and keep the kids happy, but don't always want to spend as much because they come often. If there isn't another THING to offer, then maybe add the option of a really really really simple face painting design for cheap? just a thought.

Also, our market does a weekly give away item for the kids (usually dollar store junk)... One week, they decided to buy some $1 off coupons from me to give out instead! They spent $1 each (same as usual but without tax) and were basically giving out $1 balloons for free to the kids instead of dollar store crap and supporting one of their own in the process. It worked out well enough for me too because I had a guaranteed income that day which we can't always guarantee (especially if it rains).

Develop some relationships with the organizers and other vendors... become their "go to" person for children's entertainment. And if you see any media people coming around... be very VISIBLE Wink
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

today's excitement #1 (of 2):  I am in at the market! Empty Re: today's excitement #1 (of 2): I am in at the market!

Post by contrachapado Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:22 am

Maybe have some flyers or brochures made up that let people know what else you do, and what events they might want to think about having you at. Let them know that you can make any event more fun and entertaining. Hopefully you'll get some bookings from it!
contrachapado
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by michellesfantasyfaces Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:04 am

well done!
michellesfantasyfaces
michellesfantasyfaces

Number of posts : 3190
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.fantasyfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:28 pm

wonderful for you!
Terina
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Yeah! Our good market already has a face painter! You may not make a lot of income all the time from this, but it will generate future business from organizers & parties.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:25 pm

Yes, you ladies were right! I had about 50% downtime and my prices were already very low. So I did not make much. BUT, as you said, I did get some great leads, for both birthday parties (which I adore) and a few larger events. I will go back for the next 2 weeks, and then I will reassess.

BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Please let us know how it goes? We have so many farmers markets here that I had hoped to at least try to take advantage of them as a marketing opportunity.
pixieface
pixieface

Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down