Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blending/Arty/Rainbow Cakes, Cost per gm/oz/lb

+2
SuzySparkles
TheGildedCat
6 posters

Go down

Blending/Arty/Rainbow Cakes, Cost per gm/oz/lb Empty Blending/Arty/Rainbow Cakes, Cost per gm/oz/lb

Post by TheGildedCat Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi,

Yet another question about rainbows. Really, why are there so many songs questions about rainbows? I've been doing some math to calculate the best cost per weight of various blending/rainbow/arty cakes out there.

So far, the Donna's cakes at SF are the least expensive at $4.81/oz and the 10gram Blending cake from FPFS are the most expensive at $22.65/oz.
Rainbow cakes at SF are $4.93/oz
Body Cakes at SF are $15.62/oz
Arty Brush cakes at SF are $6.25/oz
50g blending cakes at FPFS are $7.37/oz
and the Paradise cakes at FPFS are $7.93/oz
This does not take into account shipping, speed of shipping (time is money), and other factors.

Aside from shipping, what other factors do you consider? I like that the FPFS cakes are one brand of product (and rectangle) and I've heard that multiple brands in a cake wear unevenly. On the other hand, just replacing one strip of a cake might be more cost-effective than buying a new cake. Anything else I should be considering from a monetary perspective?

Cheers,
Julie
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Blending/Arty/Rainbow Cakes, Cost per gm/oz/lb Empty Re: Blending/Arty/Rainbow Cakes, Cost per gm/oz/lb

Post by TheGildedCat Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Ah, math fail, Arty brush cakes are 0.19 lbs, not 0.1, so they're actually $0.12 per gram and $3.29/oz making them the least expensive per unit weight.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Back to top Go down

Blending/Arty/Rainbow Cakes, Cost per gm/oz/lb Empty Re: Blending/Arty/Rainbow Cakes, Cost per gm/oz/lb

Post by TheGildedCat Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Ah, under more investigation, arty brush weights are all over the place...back to the calculator.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Give it up and make your own! lol!

When you compare the price of a full size cake to the split cakes... that's what I think about. Buy the full size colours, make your split cakes, you still have the single colour as well for your palette...

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Aren't the arty cakes and the Dewberry cakes the same exact size and shape? I think it is just an arty cake that she picked the colors for... is the only difference.

I am not sure how you did your math at all but the DFX mini splits that are at the FPFS are less and therefor a better deal. (and the same shape and size)

sooo.....?
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:43 pm

When I did the the math, the FPFS cakes were a decent deal. I have never found a GREAT deal on these split cakes.... except making my own - which is a little frustrating adn a whole lot of fun!
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm trying to figure out the math here... They're all the same size. You can't compare the body cakes & the arty cakes as there's more paint in one than the other. They both have different effects that they are good for. I'm in agreement, buy the full cakes in 1 color & make your own. Most cost effective & easily replaceable.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:50 pm

When I want a new combo or need to refill I just cut a chunk out of my palette... doesn't affect the paint performance and doesn't cost me anything extra.

Back to top Go down

Post by squiggle Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:19 pm

I make my own... sometimes on the spot! We ran out of our most popular cake yesterday at the corn maze, so while my partner painted, I refilled the container. Wasn't the neatest cake ever, but it works, so who cares? I just buy the cakes of paint in the colors I want and make my own now. I probably have 30 different combos, but use 10 or so at every gig.
squiggle
squiggle

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-11-11

http://www.awesome-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:38 pm

If you're set on buying pre-made split cakes, this is what I've found from the splits I've purchased.

-The Paradise Prisma cakes hold the most amount of paint (when compared to the 50 gram DFX split cakes).

-The mini DFX splits are a tiny bit deeper and weigh a tiny bit more than the AB splits.

-Any kind of split you get is going to wear unevenly. It seems like the middle wears more quickly than the edges.
contrachapado
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down