Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

differents between low and med and high density sponge

+4
Jazz
Mirandas
MichelleLA
schmalfisch
8 posters

Go down

differents between low and med and high density sponge Empty differents between low and med and high density sponge

Post by schmalfisch Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:39 am

hi
i´ve got a litttle question. i wanted to buy some sponges. now i´ve read that there is some differents between them in the density. now i was wondering if anybody of you could explain me if this is a big deal. and if there is a differents in the result of the design.

thx a lot!=)

schmalfisch

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

differents between low and med and high density sponge Empty Re: differents between low and med and high density sponge

Post by MichelleLA Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:53 am

I'm curious too.... I think Snaz or silly farm has different density sponges?
MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

differents between low and med and high density sponge Empty Re: differents between low and med and high density sponge

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:53 pm

MOST sponges used for face painting are high density - meaning fairly firm to the touch, small consistently sized holes, relatively soft. High density foam is pretty common - car wash sponges, tack sponges, packing foam, upholstery foam, mattress pads, etc.

You can used other sorts with varying success, depending on what you want to do - sea sponges make great texture, washing up sponges are super cheap so you can toss them after one use if you want, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by schmalfisch Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:25 pm

aaahh ok;)
thx very much!=)

schmalfisch

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirandas Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:30 pm

The cheaper the worst...Bought some Royal sponges, 3 in a pack for less than $2.
They are awful! Suck the paint so much that by the time I was ready to use it, the paint started to get suck into the other side of the sponge..within a couple of mins both sides were dry and you could see all the paint in the middle of the sponge.. What a waste of paint!! Mad
Mirandas
Mirandas

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:06 pm

Washing up sponges are very absorbent so take the paint right through - gets all over your hands, etc. SUPER cheap at $1.00 for a bag of sixteen which cuts up to about 160!!

Car wash sponges are better - cheap too if you consider you can buy one for about $2.00 and cut it into about 40 small ones! The density of the car wash sponges is perfect for face painting (I'm talking about the large beige/yellow peanut shaped ones.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazz Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:14 am

Hi just wondering if any of the Aussies on here have a favourite brand of car sponges? I want to give them a go for a cheap option
Jazz
Jazz

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:33 pm

My favs are the Tack sponges you find in the art supplies.They are round yellow that you cut in half. I think Wolfe is very similar. You can get these at AC Moore or Michaels or any craft store.

Ebay sells them, too.
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:43 pm

I get the tack sponges right from horse supply companies since I use a fresh one per person and need a lot. I also cut them in half as well as quarters. Once home I rinse then clean them with Pink Soap then toss them in the sanitize setting in my washing machine with only plain white vinegar and a double rinse. Smile

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:29 am

I really like the tack sponges too...actually I think Shannon suggested them years ago on a thred in here somewhere...they are higher density. Low density ones use up your paint way fast...(and I had a retailer steer me away from her profits, early on bless her!)
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:35 am

I've been suggesting Tack sponges for about 10 years! Laughing

I'm still using my originals too... they are still perfectly fine and not stained after all this time. Over the years I've added fresh to the pile due to the occasional loss due to contamination, disappearance, etc.

differents between low and med and high density sponge Dsc04571

This bucket is of sponges in use... they clean up REALLY well!

differents between low and med and high density sponge Buckets

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:40 pm

How do you keep them from staining? Mine are so colorful after just one use...do tell, your's are pristine! --- As is your water tub!
anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:04 pm

Do you mind if I ask what you use the bar soap for, Shannon? Smile

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:28 pm

I use Ivory soap to clean my sponges and brushes. It is cheap, and really takes the paint out. Then I toss them in the washer in hot water in a linen bag.

The Original Horse Company has tack sponges really cheap.

Does the vinegar help in the rinse?

a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:40 pm

The bar of Ivory is for washing the paint out of my brushes, using the three compartment water tub, the bigger compartment is where they get "cleaned" as it has ridges in the bottom, then rinse in the second, and rinse again in the third compartment. Then they get dunked in the 70% isopropyl alcohol (which is in that white icing container in that photo, now I'm using a smaller container I got at the dollar store - I think it is a baby food dish) and swished hard, then stood in the holes in around the rim of the water tub to dry.

My tub is clean... cause I keep it clean? The soap used in the cleaning process I think helps cause it keeps the paint from clinging to the plastic, and I wipe it down with baby wipes before putting it away after every job...

And... the sponges... I put water in the empty bucket which is for the used sponges, the "dirty water" from the water tub gets dumped in there too when I change water, so it is soapy from the first water change. Keeping the sponges wet prevents the pigments from getting into the sponges and drying out.

When I get home the sponges are squeezed out, dirty water dumped out, and rinsed in HOT water with some Ivory soap (bar or dish detergent works) and allowed to soak until the water is cool enough to put my hands in or overnight, then squeezed out, HOT water again, soak, repeat as necessary... usually about four times. Then if there is ANY lingering colour they are scrubbed with soap individually, and then rinsed until the water is COMPLETELY clear. Then squeezed hard, piled up on a dry towel, twisted HARD, then laid over a vent on a dry towel to air dry.

This works the best to keep them unstained. I've done machine washing too... I do the whole process above, except the squeeze drying, and throw all the sponges in a net laundry bag and put them through the washing machine and then the dryer if I need them right away (like I need to pack them up for tomorrow.)

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:34 pm

Thank you for all that xplanation Shannon--it is appreciated. Heading out to get Ivory!
anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down