Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lack of Inspiration

+5
BluAngL83
Gamezgirl
Psalmbook
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Daizy
9 posters

Go down

Lack of Inspiration Empty Lack of Inspiration

Post by Daizy Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:06 am

I am just feeling that lately I have lost my inspiration for painting. Months ago I would be painting designs a few times a week, the designs were good, I would spend hours working out what to paint, painting and taking photos. It was really exciting coming up with a new and original design and having it turn out far better than I could have imagined. It was really good for building up interest on the website/facebook too.

Now I feel I have just lost my mojo. I am lucky if I can do a painting a week, and usually then its something pretty average on my arm. I just can't think of new and exciting things to do. It probably doesn't help that my number 1 model (my daughter) refuses to let me paint her.

I am still painting at birthday parties each weekend, but these are all very quick basic designs and not really pushing myself. Maybe I am burning myself out already...I don't know.

I even brought a whole lot of new paints and cant motivate myself to paint anything with them.

Has anyone else gone through a similiar stage.. how do you get your inspiration back??
Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Lack of Inspiration Empty Re: Lack of Inspiration

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:19 am

Don't worry about it, the bad news is that we all get this every now and then. The good news is it wil pass! Sometimes it works itself out and sometimes you can help it along. I know sometimes when I get like this, I find a jam to go to, that's a great source for inspiration. Or I pick a random theme and come up with as many designs as I can for that theme; I'm often surprised by what I come up with. Recently, I've taken to going through the "TAG" game thread for inspiration, seeing the different tags and making my own designs for the challenge. Looking through old contest may help too if you need visual inpiration.

Like I said, don't get stressed out over this, it happens to everyone at least once. I'm sure even the face painting greats out there get it, but in the end it always resolves itself. Hope you feel better and find you moxy!
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:16 am

Yes, it happens to the best of us. Mine hit right before FABAIC. I didn't like anything I painted & couldn't get an original thought. Even after FABAIC I felt less motivated. Slowly the memories of the convention started to settle(I think I had face paint overload) & was able to really implement what I'd learned.
You will go through times when your skill just shoots forward & times when it settles into a routine & then some days you can't get anything to work & you feel like a newbie(sorry for the run-on there:-) It doesn't matter because the kids will love it anyway & think you're the most amazing artist ever. I had a kid yesterday ask if I was famous Very Happy I said ,"Not yet." lol!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:21 pm

You are not alone. I'm kind of in a funk myself. Never have been one to practice, I have three small kids and a million other interests so my practice is all on the job. I don't like anything I have painted in the last few months, almost embarrassed to post pictures, but I know I needed to at least get a facebook page up to keep momentum going into the school year...it will come back, not sure when, but it will come back, for all of us in this boat. And FWIW, I do still love what I am doing, I love going to my events, but I'm just not thrilled with results. So there ya go, misery loves company! Wink
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by BluAngL83 Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:55 am

About your #1 model: Ask other neighborhood kids or her friends if they would like to model for you. The most likely will and your daughter may start to want to again. My #1 model was my cousin Andrea (on my website as the 2 horse mask, butterfly, eye design, etc...) to begin with, but then she started to get tired of it. I used to have to beg her, but then I stopped. I ask her once and she said no, (knowing that that was going to happen) so I quickly asked her friends who all started to get excited and wanted one. She caught the bug and quickly wanted one too...

About your funk: Yes, we all get there sometimes, but if you dont want to paint yourself, get a practice pad or watercolor pad and start designing! I went to pashur's class this summer and he challenged us to do designs in the shape of a butterfly without using animal print or tiger, or butterfly print. Example: I did a pirate themed butterfly with a boat, skull, sword, treasure chest, gold/diamonds/jewelry, shark, and a beach. Others did a Space butterfly complete with a rocketship, planets, and stars. There was a monster butterfly, and many more!

I also bought his X-ray stencils where the stencil is a butterfly shape/ eye design shape and just place them over a funky print or picture and try to copy it!

"This too shall pass", lol

Oh yeah, maybe asking your daughter to help you choose/design your design may help her get excited to.
BluAngL83
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:30 pm

Yup what everyone said...hang in there!
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:12 pm

you can always pay your little one Wink Sometimes that works with my kids Razz

CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 pm

I went through this exactly Daisy.
If you look in the 'what's the Beef' section there are a few threads with people losing inspiration and motivation.
You do come out the other side - if perhaps not with the same gusto as before.
I think it's the rush of trying something new wearing off.
I got myself out of it by -
1. telling people here - they pulled me out of my funk emotionally.
2. looking at the peoples galleries here and picking one lovely design to try out a few times.
3. Entering a competition completely out of my comfort zone.... pushing yourself will surprise you.
4. Painting from a photo - this helped me find my own style.
5. Painting myself when no-one was around so the only judge was myself.
6. Concentrating on learning little techniques to make my over all look better, rather then trying to accomplish multiple techniques in one design.
7. I took a break from painting for two weeks while I went away to look after my mum - I only painted once in those two weeks and only then it was only three little kids.
*** I hope this has helped a little - have a look in the beef section it may help you to see all the wonderfull responses I got.
Keep reminding yourself - even on your worst days you are still 100 times better then those craft paint face painter. Have faith things will balance out and you will find your mojo again.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:45 pm

I can go months without painting anything, except what I do "on the job" which isn't exactly always my best stuff - it is what the kids want!

I did a full body painting last weekend - that sort of burns up the inspirational juices for a period of time. Have to "recharge" IYKWIM? Lack of Inspiration Icon_rolleyes

If I've got time and the urge I paint myself... if I have a reason to paint on someone else for a contest or other purpose I will arrange to have one of my models come over - often it is a real challenge to schedule sessions.

When I get an idea I draw it... then later when I have an opportunity I will paint it.

I'm the type who has to feel like doing something before it will work out so my good stuff happens when I get the urge, which sometimes happens everyday for a week... other times I can go for months without any ideas or even the urge to get creative.

Honestly, I don't worry about it. I know I can deal with the booked jobs even when I am not in the mood, as I have the skills and techniques to paint the designs - and keep the customers happy even if I know they could be better!! Lack of Inspiration Icon_wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Thank you guys so much!!
I have had a wee spur of painting again. Yesterday I was finally able to bribe my model with a chocolate. He sister was painted first which probably helped too.. she is super keen although still not the greatest at sitting still.. good for quick practicing though Razz
My oldest was really excited to be painted again and wanted to show everyone.. the last few times I have painted her she has cried it off.

I also invited a few pregnant friends around this morning to paint which got me really excited.. I wish I new more bellies though!!

Lack of Inspiration 62562_472518707779_273866407779_6742470_1345842_n
Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Beautiful Daizy so glad your back in the flow.
Mandi from Tazzie
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down