Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Competition

+9
Daizy
CATZ
CreateFaces
Criss
Spectrum
Tash
Magic
pjhamel
wmeventservices
13 posters

Go down

Competition Empty Competition

Post by wmeventservices Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:07 pm

Do you guys choose to get to know the other painters in your area or steer clear? Any body with good/bad experience getting to know the other painters in the area?
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Competition Empty Re: Competition

Post by Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:13 pm

Some I know... but there aren't many and I do introduce myself WHEN I see them out and about (don't I Dawn Competition Icon_wink ). I went up to her at a Christmas Craft fair and watched her for a bit, then went up and introduced myself to her...

The owner of the clown company I know too - she took one of my workshops and had also bought supplies off me when she ran out. We often work the same gigs - me painting and her crew doing their clown thing.

If I see them I will go and say HI, but... I'm not out much unless I am working myself so don't get that many chances.

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:14 pm

I tried to get to know another painter in my area after we both worked the same gig, but she turned out to be extremely rude and ended up taking credit for a lot of my designs, even though she was a terrible artist and using palmer's paints. Needless to say, I am a little weary of trying to meet anyone else.
There is a really great painter here whom I have met before. I actually went to a party that he was face painting at a couple of years ago before I got into painting. I am going to contact him and see if he knows anybody else in the area who might want to jam sometime.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:28 pm

I am a little picky - I befriend people working hard at their craft. I like having friends I can refer to. I don't spend a lot of time with people looking to learn off of me with out an exchange. I have tons of friends in the industry I don't feel threatened at all - I enjoy the friendships I have with like minded crazy obsessed artists. I often invite local artists to jam with me - I met another artist at a class last month and we will be in Brooklyn next week doing a shoot together.
Magic
Magic

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2008-10-01

http://www.makingfacesparties.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:11 pm

I have gotten to know more artists in my area as a necessity.
Firstly you need to know approx amount of competition in you area. How many of those are 'quality professional painters" and how many are 'craft paint substitutes'.
Then I needed to find artists to work bigger gigs with and to pass on clients to when I'm booked out.
Most of the painters in this city are mums' like me - use good products and work hard at their art and running their business - unfortunately everywhere I go I get told multiple times I am the best face painter they have ever seen - now I'm know I'm nowhere near the best - but this says how many bad painters there are out there that I don't know about!
It's important to say I have met other painters from Entertainment companies that offer the whole kit and kaboodle and they usualy are NOT nice. They look down on me because I run my own small business and I can't possibly compete with them and what they offer so why would I bother kind of attitude - so I have learnt to steer clear of these companies.
All in all the more painters I know the better! Us good ones need to stick together!
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:25 pm

You are better off not knowing them Tash...anyone who looks down on someone else has major security issues to begin with. Anyone who acts high and mighty and carries the "better than" attitude probably isn't worth making friends with from the start. I've never understood it myself...I mean I understand people have competition for gigs and such, and there will always be someone who thinks they are better than others, but geez...if these people could only take a good look at their actions, they'd probably not be happy with the person they've become. As soon as you develope the superior attitude, that's when ya start going down hill. I've always said that confidence has a certain charm, conceit does not.
Spectrum
Spectrum

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Initially, I must admit I was hesitant to meet with other painters in the area, but now i'm sooooo happy that I did. I have made some new, incredible friends with like minded individuals who are as obsessed about paint as I am. As hard as I try to explain the difference between Snaz, Wolfe, DFX, Paradise, etc.... or why I MUST have a Wolfe/DFX white or black paint to my husband or friends they just don't get it, nobody but another painter would understand. Very Happy
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:59 pm

I always introduce myself when possible. I've met about ten painters in my state and really disliked half of them. The ones I didn't care for all had the same uppity manner. When I asked if they were interested in collaboration, they all acted like THEY would be doing ME a favor if I offered them gigs.

I attribute it to being insecure about their abilities, therefore making them feel threatened by other painters.

That's okay though, I refer business to the ones I like and they do the same for me...we don't need those jerkies who act like they're better than us geek
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:00 pm

You are SOOOOOO right CreateFaces - I agree 100%
Spectrum
Spectrum

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:34 pm

Before I moved a couple weeks ago, I was just beginning to get to know other painters through a JAM that Linda had coordinated. Up until then, I knew of other painters, but the only one I took the time to get to know was Linda. Before I met Linda, every experience I had getting to know other painters was a bad one. I've had such a great experience with Linda, but the others make me shy to connect with other painters now that I live in a different state.

I guess maybe it would be the type of relationship I create with other painters is where I get confused. I really want to connect with other painters, but at the same time be able to protect myself.

Linda became a mentor and friend to me in a lot of ways, but I know that is not the relationship most of my fellow painters are looking for. I guess I just can't figure out what the relationship with other painters would look like?

Do I e-mail or call only when I need something? Do I call or e-mail just to check in and see how they are doing? Do I only make contact with other painters if I see them in town? Do I send a friendly e-mail to the painters that I have found online in my area just to introduce myself?

Any advice/opinions??
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:53 pm

Well... it really is up to you how you want to do it. Personally, I just say hi when I see them... or they contact me for info or supplies in an emergency (I, of course, would NEVER run out of anything! Competition Icon_rolleyes )

I don't mind when painters contact me... but some people may take it as a threat Competition Suspect

However, if you are really keen and want to hold a jam then that is a really good reason to contact them via email to invite them to one, or see if they are interested in attending one. I think having a reason to contact them rather than just saying "hi" would better received generally.

It is good to get to know them - referrals of work on a reciprocal basis, assisting on large jobs, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:50 am

If you want to grow your business, networking is essential. I've only been at this biz for a year, and meeting other painters has been a huge part of my success. Just this forum alone has saved me hundreds of hours and avoided many mistakes. Meeting other painters has given me a chance to not just learn from them, but share my marketing strengths and experience. I get to know who I can recommend and be recommended by. Our business is all visual, so meeting folks in person really helps build trust and confidence. I totally agree with Criss about sharing with like minded folks our obsessions. Very Happy
CATZ
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:14 am

I have no idea what other painters are in my area. So far I have only ever seen one other painter when I was just beginning, but I haven't seen them around much anymore as I am the one doing most of the public events.... I still kind of feel guilty about coming in on her territory.. :s

I have a few other friends that do a wee bit of face painting on the side, one a make up artist and one that does more clowning. These are good friends to have, I use them for bigger events and we refer each other to others.

I know there is one other big face painting company in the city (about an hour from where I am) who I would love to meet some time but then I am way to chicken, they are very very good!
Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:17 am

Thank you Whitney for all the nice words! I miss you tooo!!!!

I'm trying to start a Jam & it's hard. We have some long standing entertainment companies that have dominated the market. It's almost like there's an atmosphere of distrust in our area & I want so badly to break these walls down. I want to have great people to be able to refer clients too that I know will produce good work & good ethics. I know of one (Mikki) & we have a new lady(Jerrie) that just moved here that's pretty nice.

I fell some people are so afraid of getting burnt that they won't take the risk or so afraid that someone might be better than them. I learned a long time ago that you'll never be the best as there will always be someone better than you & that's ok. All I need to be is the best I can be!

Sorry for the ranting, I just don't see why we can't all get along & not feel threatened when someone gets something good & it wasn't you. I'd rather cheer for someone when the get the Big Gig they've been trying for I know mine is coming next, not wish I'd have gotten it....
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:21 am

I can tell you that it is hard and risky but worth it. When I first started on this journey to form a guild, I met up with a huge wall of distrust...so much so that I had a hard time finding anybody. Now, there's a group of about 13 women that I jam with every month and it's great! Yes, I've had a few issues and the back wounds are healing nicely, but its been a learning experience that I am using to to help with establishing the Code of Conduct article for the burgeoning guild.

I did run into a few 'takers' who attempted to push the direction of the group into that of a teaching vehicle...but I stood my ground and with the support of other members who believe just as strongly as I do, we've managed to get across the idea that the purpose of the group is not to spoonfeed or train up competitors and that EVERYONE must contribute to the group's growth.

I've met some wonderful people and some not so wonderful people but it's been a wonderful experience overall.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Psalmbook wrote:I know of one (Mikki) & we have a new lady(Jerrie) that just moved here that's pretty nice.

It's a long shot, but would that new lady happen to be Jerrie aka Sparkles the Clown from Ohio?
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Psalmbook wrote: I want to have great people to be able to refer clients too that I know will produce good work & good ethics. I know of one (Mikki) & we have a new lady(Jerrie) that just moved here that's pretty nice.

Hi Linda,

Jerrie is a sweetheart. I met her recently when she taught split cake techniques at Pashur's Face Paint University and she was so nice and more than happy to share her knowledge. If she has time, she would be awesome to jam with!

Last edited by kittee on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:15 pm

kittee wrote:Hi Linda,

Jerrie is a sweetheart. I met her recently when she taught split cake techniques at Pashur's Face Paint University and she was so nice and more than happy to share her knowledge. If she has time, she would be awesome to jam with!

It is the same Jerrie! I met her while we were both taking a Pashur class in 2009 in Plymouth MA. We got to know each other a bit over lunch. She was so nice and supportive of me as a newbie that I emailed her after the class to say thanks and let her know how nice it was to meet her.

She probably wouldn't remember me, but if you think of it, tell I said hi and good luck in a new market!
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:05 pm

CreateFaces wrote:
Psalmbook wrote:I know of one (Mikki) & we have a new lady(Jerrie) that just moved here that's pretty nice.

It's a long shot, but would that new lady happen to be Jerrie aka Sparkles the Clown from Ohio?

She is the one and the same Smile
MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:07 pm

CreateFaces wrote:
It is the same Jerrie! I met her while we were both taking a Pashur class in 2009 in Plymouth MA. We got to know each other a bit over lunch. She was so nice and supportive of me as a newbie that I emailed her after the class to say thanks and let her know how nice it was to meet her.

She probably wouldn't remember me, but if you think of it, tell I said hi and good luck in a new market!

I'm still editing my photos from FPU, but I plan to email her soon and I'll say hi from you.
MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Same Jerrie & she is awesome. She tested her class out on us at our last jam! I'll let her know she has some "fans" on here.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Yup, I'm a def fan of her as a person and painter.
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:40 am

Four of us from Lethbridge Alberta attended Bodyssey last week. With all of us forking out the dough to learn, I feel it would be more of a refresher course to all get together now. Criss attended classes I didn't and vice versa and if we shared that info, heck, it would be like going to another convention! I have no hesitation in giving referrals to the other painters and I have received referrals from them.

I'd much rather be friendly than cut throat.... there's enough of that in life without it interfering in 'fun painting time'
Judy
Judy

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-08-01

http://www.facefx.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down