Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kids and parents asking to use my paints???

+8
Kristal
jnjkoz
Bec
Lyndell44
wmeventservices
Tash
Lady Jayde
Firebird FX
12 posters

Go down

Kids and parents asking to use my paints??? Empty Kids and parents asking to use my paints???

Post by Firebird FX Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:49 pm

I've only done about 5 events so far but the past couple events kids have asked to use my paints so they can paint something on themselves. Last time when I had a long line this very rude woman asked to "help me out" and paint some people and when I politely told her that's probablly not a good idea she started talking to her friend in another language then in english said "please, it's really not that hard" and picked up a paint brush and started painting her son, then left! I honestly can't think of a good exuse why other people can't use my paints other than that's not what I'm getting paid and I just don't want to see somone else messing with my things, but what should I say in these kinds of situations?
Firebird FX
Firebird FX

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-06-29

http://www.firebirdfx.com

Back to top Go down

Kids and parents asking to use my paints??? Empty Re: Kids and parents asking to use my paints???

Post by Lady Jayde Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:57 pm

First and foremost, because they belong to YOU. That, in and of itself should be enough to stop anyone with a properly functioning moral compass. That woman was rude and you need to beef up your indignation meter to deal with people who feel they have a right to steal from you...and that is in essence what she did. We teach people how to treat us...I had to mutter that little mantra for a long time before it became ingrained. It might also help to develop a "look" that says "Try it and pull back a nub", while smiling, of course.

If you have Insurance, you can use that as a fall back. My insurance covers me for the events I paint. If someone else were to harm someone trying to "help" me, my insurance policy would fail inevitably. I don't share...period...even if I didn't have insurance.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Kids and parents asking to use my paints??? Empty Re: Kids and parents asking to use my paints???

Post by Firebird FX Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:14 pm

I don't have a problem with standing up to somone in "real life" if somone is being disrespectful, but I don't know how to say no at work. It seems like no matter how you say it, it's going to come off rude and I guess I'll have to learn to be ok with that...
Firebird FX
Firebird FX

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-06-29

http://www.firebirdfx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:58 pm

If you have insurance..... and sneakily even if you don't .... you can just say " I'm sorry, as much as I would love to have help my insurance would be void if I allowed anyone to touch my supplies."

I also use the whole - "if I let you touch then everyone will start touching...."
And - "I'm sorry but I guard my brushes and paints with my life and even my husband isn't allowed to touch them."

If they keep going and GOD FORBID just reach out and grab something I instantly stop painting and say " I'm glad that you think I have made this LOOK easy to you but in actual fact I have done a lot training and research and practice to MAKE it look easy.... in fact it's not easy, and I invite you to try it out for yourself with your own products in your own time to find that out for yourself. As you can see I cannot paint AND watch my supplies so - Please do not touch anything as I have had ENOUGH go missing already. Thank-you." *with a smile.
They back off pretty fast, after that.
Some parents do not respond to 'nice or polite'.
They need an assertive response.
I used to be too nice just like yourself but I hardened up when I realized they weren't listening to 'nice'.
Get tough - get assertive just don't get rude..... even if that's what they are.
Protect your kit with your life....... most people just like the look of it and want to have a go - they use the long line excuse to have a play....
yay to you for making it look so easy!!!
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:56 pm

After I have explained to people that there is over a thousand dollars worth of supplies on my table that are fragile and can be ruined if they are not used properly, they have always backed off. People seem to assume that our supplies can be bought in any craft store and only cost a couple bucks, so they are usually scared to touch anything after they realize the value of the stuff they are asking to play with.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndell44 Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:13 pm

You could tell them (with a smile) that you will have to charge them $50 rent if they want to use your supplies to help out, because that is how much it will take to replace the stuff they use!
Get assertive and develop 'the look'!
Good luck!

Lyn
Lyndell44
Lyndell44

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:16 pm

I don't take any crap. I've told people "my insurance will not allow that" awhich will deter most of them

In extreme cases, I have actually stopped painting, stood up, reached over and removed whatever anyone has picked up - be it glitter, paint, a brush, a sponge - from their hand and loudly stated, "that is mine and is not for anyone else to use. My equipment is santized before use and you have now rendered that brush/sponge unuseable for me until it is cleaned."

I generally don't have too much trouble... I've been told I'm intimidating... Kids and parents asking to use my paints??? Icon_eek

Back to top Go down

Post by Bec Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:21 pm

I'll smack a biznach's hand if they touched my stuff like that. Thats nuts.
Bec
Bec

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2010-05-25

http://www.bbeautifulfacepaint.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndell44 Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Sorry, what's a biznach, Bec?

Lyn
Lyndell44
Lyndell44

Back to top Go down

Post by jnjkoz Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:40 pm

I intentionally keep my set up so that they have to reach over me to get to my stuff. I noticed at the beginning that some of the parents would reach in to pick up my paints to see what I was using and such, so I altered it, all of my paints are hot glued down with the bottoms on foam board, so if I need them I just unscrew them from the base. (mostly wolf paints), my gems are all put into old glitter jars with screw on tops and hot glued down too...every thing else is tucked behind my tub. I even keep my mirror behind the tub because the kids and parents will take it whenever they want! I need to get a large unbreakable mirror to hang somewhere.

I would have let her know that I am perfectly capable of handling my own line all by myself with no help and touching my things is not permitted.

There is a sign on my table that reads "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy" I really do not like it when they leave their children in line alone knowing they are all wound up and they touch everything! Rolling Eyes
jnjkoz
jnjkoz

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by jnjkoz Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:41 pm

Lyndell44 wrote:Sorry, what's a biznach, Bec?

Lyn

HAHA Same as a BIOTCH Smile
jnjkoz
jnjkoz

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndell44 Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:52 pm

Pardon my ignorance!
Lyndell44
Lyndell44

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:36 pm

OMG, I'd have LOST IT! (Well, in my head anyway...I'd have been seething in there!) I absolutely loathe when people try to touch my stuff. I usually say something along the lines of "Oh! We don't touch anything. You can look, but I'm the only one allowed to touch."

Most parents are good about keeping their kid's hands out of there. If adults try, that warrants my hand in between theirs and my stuff. I will stop and repeat myself over and over until they stop - whether it's because they finally get that I'm serious, or because they want me to stop talking, I don't know, and don't care, lol.
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:35 am

I get a little freaky & probably show it when people touch my paints. I think it sounds more like they pinched me Very Happy
"Oh, please(sometimes please gets in there) don't touch that. I spend a lot of time keeping this kit sanatized & I NEVER stick my fingers in the paint!"

As for people who want to use my kit, "No, sorry, my insurance won't allow that."

For the very pushy, "You can use my paints if I can use your toothbrush."
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosenberg-Cox Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:35 am

I have my set up behind me so it is too hard to get at and I have used the "insurance won't allow it" before. I will add, every since I started bringing one of my kids to "help" (even my 10 year old), I have not had a problem - so far. Smile
Rosenberg-Cox
Rosenberg-Cox

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-08-27

http://www.facepainting.coxmanor.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:53 pm

It's okay to be firm, but polite, with people who are stupid. And in the end, it's really okay if she doesn't like you anymore for not letting her use your paints.

Your insurance will not allow it, Period. Shannon has a great sign about judging the wait time. People have a choice to wait or not.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:34 am

I like the toothbrush comment. Clever.

I think when people do this, you should definitely stop what you're doing and totally confront them. They need to see that you're saying no with your body language, as well as with your words. Once everybody sees that they're holding you up, the others waiting in line won't be too happy.
contrachapado
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum