Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can i ask a um... "silly" question about butterflies ?...

+7
Daizy
ChangingFaceDesigns
JBax
Tash
Perry Noia
CreateFaces
Dawny
11 posters

Go down

Can i ask a um... "silly" question about butterflies ?... Empty Can i ask a um... "silly" question about butterflies ?...

Post by Dawny Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Good Day Talented facepainter ! I love this forum and all of the knowledge you are willing to share is much appreciated !
I am taking my very first 2 day workshop this summer from a lady that learned painting from Oliver Zegers, and i am very excited ! anyway ! butterflies.... i saw a facepainter on the weekend and she was brushing her butterfly base rather than sponging - is this better ? I have only ever used sponges for butterflies but i seem to end up with a bit of missed placed colore now and again - does anyone else use a brush instead ? Very Happy
Dawny
Dawny

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Can i ask a um... "silly" question about butterflies ?... Empty Re: Can i ask a um... "silly" question about butterflies ?...

Post by CreateFaces Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:45 pm

I use both depending on the size. I tend to sponge larger ones and brush smaller ones. As far as misplaced color that just takes practice and you will get better and better with time. When I first started it seemed impossible to me to use a sponge and get the color to lay down the way I wanted it.
My suggestion to you is to try both methods, you may find like I did, that you like both ways or you may decide you like one way better than the other.

Let us know what you come up with!
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Can i ask a um... "silly" question about butterflies ?... Empty Re: Can i ask a um... "silly" question about butterflies ?...

Post by Dawny Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:48 pm

i do us a brush when i am painting a butterfly on the cheek or arm but i have never thought about using it to do a mask - creative idea ! anyway - thanks for the input i will let you know !

happy painting
Dawny
Dawny

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:08 pm

I only sponge the big butterflies.... my main advice about "misplaced" colour.... DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT Wink Seriously, relax... they don't notice even if you do. If you really want to, you can take it off with a wipe after you've done your outline on it.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:45 pm

Depends what effect I'm going for.
If I want the lines of the splitcake to show then I brush it on, if I want it to blend I use a sponge.
Younger faces are better with a sponge as they get less paint and it dries faster.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawny Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:43 pm

thanks sooo much for all the feedback ! you guys are truly awesome !

best wishes

dawny
Dawny
Dawny

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:15 pm

I really comes down to preference and what you like. Sponges make for super simple blending and quick color. Brushes will give more precise lines, and will work with split cakes well. But you can blend with a brush and use splits with a sponge.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:33 pm

Hey Dawn... whatever works for you. I sometimes brush. Depends on the design, if I want to match colours on a multicoloured outfit, am using my smaller split cakes, etc. OR... I've used up all my sponges and don't have any clean ones left!!! LOL

Oh.. yeah... where/who was this painter? I'd love to find more of us around here! If we can get a group of six or so maybe we could jam?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawny Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Shannon ! I know that i am a beginner compared to you - but I would LOVE to be part of that ! her name is Mia and she does the street performers festival here every year is what she mentioned ! Because i am always at the market during that time i have not seen her work but Her website is very lovely and she has taken some workshops and training with Oliver Zegers which is kinda exciting for me ! anyhow she is giving me a 2 day workshop of private lessons and my daughter Willow is sooo excited to be the model ! it sounds fun and like a good place to start ! - thanks again Shannon for everything !

Dawn Smile
Dawny
Dawny

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:07 pm

I do both doesn't matter what size it is...just depends on the look I am trying to get.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:48 am

I brush my butterflies, I just can not get the hang of the sponge.
I find my butterflies don't take any longer using the brush as I use a reasonably sized brush and leave the strokes quite whispy.

Its all personal preference I think, I would suggest just trying both and working out which way works best for you.
Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:13 am

It's a personal preference. I like the sponge because I can get the colors deeper & bolder. I also like using a large flibert body brush if I'm looking for the wispy look. To avoid blotching w/ the sponge I squish it & bend it to the shape/area I'm trying to fill or avoid. And, as Perry says, baby wipes can clean up quite well(or paint a flower over the unsightly mess).
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:24 pm

I too say preference. I use both depending on what I'm doing, but I know one painter who hates brushing bases and another who hates sponging period so it's whatever works for you.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:37 am

If it's a little butterfly on the side of the eye or cheek then I'll paint it on. If it's a full or half face butterfly covering the eye, then I sponge. I think the sponge is easier to work with around the eye area. I'm afraid a brush would hold too much paint/water and get into the eye.
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 am

I brush and paint my butterflies. I do several different styles of butterflies. Around the eyes I do tend to use more sponges. But I always paint on for cheek art butterflies and arty cake butterflies. I really use a lot of rainbow cakes for my tigers and for my butterflies, and those are easier for me to use with a sponge. I usually do most of my outlines with a number 4 brush. And I wouldn't worry about a little bit of paint showing underneath it either.
Terina
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down