Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My first two attempts: on myself..

+7
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Peachymango
michellesfantasyfaces
Tash
WyndyO
SEZnz
shakra
11 posters

Go down

My first two attempts: on myself.. Empty My first two attempts: on myself..

Post by shakra Tue May 25, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi everyone!

Firstly, to introduce myself...

I'm Shakra.. I'm from Sydney, Australia.

I'm a creative soul and get involved in lots of crafty things, and recently had a friend ask if I can facepaint... so I invested about $200 in paint and some decent brushes...

The gig is this sunday, and I'm just getting practice... thinking about offering 6 full face choices for boys, 6 choices for girls and about 6 different cheek art options.. is this too much??

Here's my first two attempts on myself...

My first two attempts: on myself.. 31363_421087141476_543836476_5497884_4279543_n

My first two attempts: on myself.. 31363_421457561476_543836476_5506203_627663_n

My first two attempts: on myself.. 31363_421177016476_543836476_5499765_4263681_n

I plan on trying two more tonight....

I'd love to hear your feedback so far though....

shakra

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Back to top Go down

My first two attempts: on myself.. Empty Re: My first two attempts: on myself..

Post by SEZnz Wed May 26, 2010 12:18 am

i love your mimey face!!
SEZnz
SEZnz

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2010-05-16

http://www.fabfaces.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO Wed May 26, 2010 1:14 am

If these are your first- they are quite good. I would assume you are an already artist who already knows color, contrast and some brush control and highlighting concepts. Plus, it is usually so much more challenging to paint yourself.

What paints are you using? I like the mime face the best too. I might have blended the pink cheeks more but if you are using TAG (Wolfe FX/Diamond FX in the states) that is more tricky.....

Best of wishes for a great event/gig!!! At least six faces you can do confidently and relatively quickly that look good is an excellent idea that will help your line move faster. I always tell the kids they must know what "face" they want when they sit in my chair or I will take the next one in line while they decide.
WyndyO
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shakra Wed May 26, 2010 1:42 am

Thanks for the feedback!!!!

Yes I am an artist but usually spray cans, beads and fabric. This is like getting back to basics but I'm loving it!

Using deriven facepaints. Only had one sponge so the pink cheeks are a bit shoddy due to application with a scrunched up tissue.

I love the mime face too.

Any suggestions on what's popular with kids? I don't have any kids and want to make sure I'm prepared

shakra

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Wed May 26, 2010 1:53 am

Hi Shakra,
Nice to see someone in the forum from my home town.
Good luck on your gig, looks like you have been picking up some nice tips already.
I spent a whole heap of money on Derivan and Tim Gratton paints before I worked out what I should be using.
When I discovered cake makeup my life became so much easier. Please be carefull using this paint with kids, it stains cloths and skin and needs to have a base put under it. It can dry and flake if applied to thick too.
It's very hard to get a good even base with liquid paints.
Unfortunately in Sydney you cannot buy any of the paints the professional artists use in store, I have to order it from other artists like Amy Grigg, or from Perth, Adelaide, or the US.
Sorry I don't want to sound like I'm lecturing you , of course you can use whatever you want.
Some brands you might like to google are Paradise by Mehron, TAG, DimondFX, Wolfe FX, Snazaroo.
It wasn't untill I started using these paints that I was able to reproduce the really great designs.
Some like Snazaroo have santising properties, and some like Paradise have natural ingredients like aloe that are great for the skin.
Thanks for sharing your pics. If this is your first go then I dare say your a natural!
Welcome to the forum, and to the world of facepainting!
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by shakra Wed May 26, 2010 2:08 am

Awww thanks Tash!!! Much appreciated!

I use a good slather of sorbelene underneath as a barrier to assist removal and reduce staining. Dare say if I continue this I'll get better quality paint or cAke makeup.

Keeping layers nice and sheer, I'm having too much fun on myself! Can't wait to paint some children!

shakra

Back to top Go down

Post by michellesfantasyfaces Wed May 26, 2010 6:42 am

welcome from the netherlands!...those look really good!
michellesfantasyfaces
michellesfantasyfaces

Number of posts : 3190
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.fantasyfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachymango Wed May 26, 2010 8:53 am

Hi from the Northern Territory.
I too started with Deverin. Until I learnt of other more proffessional paints.
I buy my TAG from South Australia, Have also brought Grimas from South Aus. Used to get my DFX from the same place as the TAG but they no longer stock it.
Good luck with your first gig.
Peachymango
Peachymango

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by shakra Wed May 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks everyone!! I'm thinking more research into paint would have been a good idea. I've invested $160 in paint. I did spend extra to get good quality brushes and am heading out today to get more sponges.

shakra

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Wed May 26, 2010 9:45 pm

Those look fantastic Shakra! I'm particularly taken with the depth in the tear drop ont he mime's face! Did you mean for that to happen or did it jsut happen?? Either way I have to agree with Tash, you are a natural! 12 full face and 6-8 cheek arts are just fine! Some painters have many more, some have about 3 each for boys and girls if theyr eally have to move the line quickly. It all depends what works best for you! Welcome to the forum! I know you will learn a lot here and the people are some of the friendliest you will find in the world! You came to the right place!
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie Wed May 26, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi Shakra,

Welcome to the group from an x-sydneyite. I now live in Cradle Mountain, Tasmania.
I started off using Snazaroo (from the UK or USA) which I've found to be a great face paint. I also use Diamond FX, Wolfe Bros & TAG. You can buy all of these & rainbow cakes from www.amygrigg.com.au she lives in Penrith in Sydney so depending what part of Sydney your in you could maybe even pick up from her.

For your first attempts these are terrific, just imagine what you'll be doing with more practice.

Most requested ideas from kids, boys: spiderman, batman, monster, tiger, skull, vampire. & girls: princess, butterfly, flowers, rainbows (these are so easy with a rainbow cake) & hearts, cat, swirls & curls eye design. Hope this helps, good luck with your first gig & hope there's many more coming your way. Oh do you have a business card or something similar as you'll probably be asked by parents at the gig.
Mandi from Tazzie
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by shakra Wed May 26, 2010 11:16 pm

all the tips you've all given me are so much appreciated..

Punky: Yes.. I planned the depth in the tear.. put a shadow under it and added some highlight... ballsed it up a bit but you cant really tell...

I'm beginning to worry I might run out of paint though.. especially if I'm going home and painting my own melon every arvo! hahaha

shakra

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Wed May 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Hey Shakra I forgot to mention painting on wriggly kids is HARD.
If you paint on yourself then it's only your patience you have to deal with.
When you discover how hard it is Don't give up!! keep going - it gets easier!
Too many good artists I know throw in the towel when they work out what they are trying to paint keeps moving. My hubby panted my daughter and told me never again.
I just wanted to say that to you before you had your first gig.
I wish someone had said it to me, I would have been so much more patient with myself, and not expected so much so early.
Also it helps to remmeber - no matter what you paint the kids will love it - you might think it's a disaster but I guarantee they will love it!
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Wed May 26, 2010 11:57 pm

Tash wrote:Also it helps to remmeber - no matter what you paint the kids will love it - you might think it's a disaster but I guarantee they will love it!

This is soo true! many times you could just to a quick 5 second heart on a kid with 2 teardrops with no embellishments and they love it. But if I can I always try to put in some detail for that "wow" factor. Just remember, You paint for the smiles of children and the generosity of parents!
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186

Back to top Go down

Post by makin faces by synni Thu May 27, 2010 2:44 am

howdy. i also think u have done a great job! i also started with the same liquid paints as u as i am from australia as well and that is all there is on the shelves .i found a web site here in south aust and i think it is just great it is www.spectrumfaceandbodyart.com.au. anyway i hope that helps you!
makin faces by synni
makin faces by synni

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2010-03-15

http://	facebook.com/synni80

Back to top Go down

Post by SEZnz Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:44 pm

how'd your party go? Smile
SEZnz
SEZnz

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2010-05-16

http://www.fabfaces.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:26 pm

Wonderful 1st time faces! About the wiggly kids... a gentle hand on top of the head stabilizes them quite well. Remember you can talk to them & get them to turn their head when you need to reach a difficult area.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by shakra Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:05 pm

party went really well!! I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Was too busy to take photos but someone else did... will load a few when I finally receive them!

I did have a friend pop around in the afternoon as her kids missed out... so I did these at my home... little boy Archer brought a SpongeBob plastic bag for me to copy... and little girl Monet wanted to be a LadyBeetle...

My first two attempts: on myself.. Img_0812

My first two attempts: on myself.. Img_0810

My first two attempts: on myself.. Img_0811

shakra

Back to top Go down

Post by len sherrard Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:29 pm

excellent!
len sherrard
len sherrard

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-12-29

http://www.ellensburgfaceart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shakra Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:43 pm

Smile Thanks! Cant wait to get my hands on all the other photos!

shakra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum