Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pricing Gigs Out of Town

4 posters

Go down

Pricing Gigs Out of Town Empty Pricing Gigs Out of Town

Post by MissWyssa Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:05 pm

An acquaintance wants me to paint faces for her daughter's birthday party in a few months, but it's four hours away. She knows it's going to be pricey, but still wants me to go. I just don't know how to work out the cost. Any ideas?
MissWyssa
MissWyssa

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2017-04-18

Back to top Go down

Pricing Gigs Out of Town Empty Re: Pricing Gigs Out of Town

Post by Kris5115 Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 am

So here's kind of a starting point:
https://www.timesheets.com/blog/2016/05/pay-for-travel-time-reimburse-mileage/

In addition to your rate for painting at the party, have a rate for driving/travel (when it is outside your home territory) that covers mileage and your time. For me, my home territory is 20 miles. I charge extra for anything farther than that. While I'm driving, I'm not using up my supplies so I don't charge my full hourly painting rate but a lower rate. Keep in mind that I'm also not available for other work so I need to consider how much could I have made if I had other jobs that day too. On the other hand a booked job is better than a potential job.  

For simple math, let's say you charge $100/hr for painting and $50/hour for driving.

If you drive for 4 hours each way and paint for 2 hours while you are there, that would be 8 * $50 + 2 * $100 = $600. Will you also need a hotel?  food?
Add that too. (And adjust the numbers for your rates.)

Now you may feel that this is a good friend and you want to give her a discount, and that is your choice. But she knows you are committing to a really long day to paint at the party.

$600 for 10 hours averages out to $60/hour. Are you OK with that? What if it is on a busy Saturday where you turn away other parties/jobs? Are you that busy and well booked? What if the party were on a day that wasn't as busy like a weekday? or Sunday?
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Pricing Gigs Out of Town Empty Re: Pricing Gigs Out of Town

Post by anniel Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:56 pm

Fantastic answer!
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27