Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artist or tools to blame? ;-)

4 posters

Go down

Artist or tools to blame? ;-) Empty Artist or tools to blame? ;-)

Post by imladris Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:04 am

Hi, been lurking several months but just agreed to do my first formal (free) event and have real issues with consistency I just want to check really are me rather than a beginners mistake or my tools. Not trying to just blame what I have, but would have thought I should keep improving rather than go back and forwards.
I've been painting regularly on my own girls about 3 years, sometimes daily then sometimes not for a couple of weeks, but my results are always either suprisingly good or so bad even the 2 year old tells me to "get the flannel Mummy" or the 6 year old goes all thankful for it but no eye contact. It's never just enough :-/ I have done a lot of friends kids and a couple of close friends or family parties.
I have ADHD so suspect that is responsible for some of my consistency issues (adult female ADHD is a long way from hyperactive little boys in infant school) and if so then I know its just more practise and commitment.
But last couple of days (first after moving house due to losing paints) it has been truly dire! Now, I still haven't found my normal Diamond FX white and some Wolff spitcakes so reverted to our original Snazeroo festival pack. It's been pretty consistently used throughout but I'd stopped using the white as often since the FX tub was easier to keep clean and use. None of it was great, but my attempts at frozen style crowns I did have down pat has made me consider some of it could have been the snaz paints and not entirely me.
Is that plausible? I've never used any other brands than those mentioned. And if I am finding the Snaz paints tricky, are there techniques to make them better? Biggest issues seem to be with not letting them get too wet, the black is lumpy, and the white gloopy and often shows through colour below.
My girls are very stereotypical so there are a LOT of white tear drops and Lisa joy young pegasus/unicorns going on!
Would appreciate any insight. And I don't mind if it really is all me, just feels better to be sure!
Thankyou

imladris

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2016-04-25

Back to top Go down

Artist or tools to blame? ;-) Empty Re: Artist or tools to blame? ;-)

Post by imladris Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:08 am

OK, have now found threads that didn't come up before, perhaps because I only just registered and logged in?
One about making Snaz designs look good suggesting their white good for bases but not linework.
Others seem to echo that and suggest DFX wolf or others for white line work?
Anyone know if I might do better just spraying paints rather than dipping brush in water if using Snaz?

imladris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:50 am

I have found Snaz is better for bases and blending and more challenging to use for line work. I find the waxy brands like Wolfe, Tag and DFX are better for line work for me.

I prefer to dip my brush in water and spray my sponge with water rather than adding water to my paints directly.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by imladris Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:56 am

You found me anyway! Ignore my response on introductions then. Thankyou.
Sounds like I really need to find my missed diamond paint!

imladris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:00 am

The paint makes a significant difference but with practice even Snaz should yield good designs. Keep practicing! You'll get there.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by imladris Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:49 pm

I will. This was a "hobby" I was pushed into by my children when I kept putting them off expensive paint jobs by reluctant staff at local soft play centres by telling them.we could do it cheaper at home! Busted.
But having the right expectations of my tools is reassuring. Thankyou so much.

imladris

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:29 pm

here's my answer from your post in the introductions -
(p.s. snaz is made from different ingredients than most other face paints, hence the gloopy texture)

nope, it's not you, it's the brand of paint. you are correct that it is much more difficult to get clean line work with snaz white (or black) than with dfx, or any other paraffin based brand like wolfe, tag, kryvaline regular, and cameleon. other face painters say even non-paraffin global is good for linework.

from my experience with snaz, it works well for line work if you are painting directly on bare skin, such as doing teardrops or dots. but it is quite difficult doing line work over a base of face paint.

when i caught on to the difference in brands from reading about them on the forum, i switched to wolfe, and the improvement in line work was dramatic.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by imladris Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks Jlirie, in both threads!
It is the catching on isn't it, only just occured to me there might be more to it.
I've just discovered stencils reading on here too, think a snowflake would save me a lot of work and help with the line thing too!
So found a stockist here that also sells the Wolfe paints so might just get a black and white of that too and then not so desperate to find my missing paints straight away.
We moved in at new year to a massive downsize, so lots of things just under a pile in the only room we aren't using to live in.
All my hobby stuff it seems.

imladris

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:42 pm

may be a good excuse to have to buy some new face paints Smile lots of fun things to try.
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura-Lou Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:21 am

I used to work for a zoo as a face painter and they just used Snaz so I spent 4 1/2 years working with it day after day! It's getting it to that just right consistency where it's slick but not too wet and making sure that the base is dry before you go over it with any line work. Put your black in the fridge if it's being a pain and use it a bit wetter than your white.
But my main advise would be to put it in a box, lock the box and go and buy some DFX black and white for line work (and for any other line work ever bar their dark brown) Razz Though you can unlock the box for bases, but make sure you've cracked the even application... snaz can be mighty patchy!
Laura-Lou
Laura-Lou

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2015-11-18

http://www.ljfacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:57 pm

lol! lock it in a box
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down