Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is anyone willing to do a comparison for me? Pretty please :)

+6
LittleMonsters
FacepaintingByTanya
monelle
jlirie
Forest-Fairy
vanessa1
10 posters

Go down

Is anyone willing to do a comparison for me? Pretty please :) Empty Is anyone willing to do a comparison for me? Pretty please :)

Post by vanessa1 Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:34 pm

I have all TAG paints but I am just not happy with how my white TAG linework looks over colours.
Does anyone have a selection of white paint brands that they could do some swatches to show colour leeching, and opaqueness etc before I shell out more $ for others brands.

I would be ever so grateful to see the results TIA

vanessa1

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-08-07

Back to top Go down

Is anyone willing to do a comparison for me? Pretty please :) Empty Re: Is anyone willing to do a comparison for me? Pretty please :)

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:26 pm

I have used Wolf, Tag, DFX, Mehron, and Snaz whites, and so far my favorite is Tag. I would do a comparison for you, but I run right through my whites to the bitter end until nothing remains lol.

I know a lot of people like Wolf, but i found it rather creamy to be honest.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Is anyone willing to do a comparison for me? Pretty please :) Empty Re: Is anyone willing to do a comparison for me? Pretty please :)

Post by vanessa1 Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks FF Smile

So I have tons of TAG White - like 3 90gm pots so really I guess I need to learn to like it lol. I am just having such huge issues with the base colour showing through my teardrops etc. when its not the look i am going for but maybe I just need to reevaluate the designs and use different colour combos .... off to play.

vanessa1

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:51 pm

if you can't get it to work, maybe do a lot of white base designs to use it up Very Happy, and get another brand for line work.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:39 am

With tag, the colors are very strong and like to 'bleed' through lighter colors. Mehron is WAY worse for this if you are painting over wax base like tag.

Options are to either leave blank space to place your tear drops (i know not really an option right lol)

Add a 2nd coat to get your whites whiter.

Use it over less harsh colors. Usually it's the same ones what stain skin that are the worst for color bleed.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by monelle Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 pm

I get the sense that Diamond FX and Wolfe are many painters' favorites. I would do a test and show you, but I don't think you would see any discernible difference in a photo. Both have excellent coverage. Stay away from Snazaroo--it's practically transparent!
monelle
monelle

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:59 am

I've used DFX mainly... went gloppy, gave Wolfe a try... too creamy, tried Global... not opaque enough for me (rumor has it a reformulation might happen to fix that), so just ordered TAG white, which I've surprisingly not used in my brand travels yet. Will report back once it comes in on how I like it.
FacepaintingByTanya
FacepaintingByTanya

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2013-04-17

http://www.facepaintingbytanya.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:16 pm

I could have done a DFX vs TAG vs Wolfe but I decided not to order Wolfe on my order and just stuck with DFX and the TAG I needed for my splits.
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by missmolly Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:03 am

I've tried the new global formula!

I find it far too transparent. I use dfx in my kit, my boyfriend uses wolfe. I prefer the dfx texture and opacity wise. I haven't used tag white.

I'll try to get some swatches this weekend, however I don't think there will be much of a difference visible in the photos.
missmolly
missmolly

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2014-04-20

http://www.kookyclowns.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintedWingsandWishes Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:50 pm

I have a couple of white options so I'll try my hand at getting a swatch out. Smile
PaintedWingsandWishes
PaintedWingsandWishes

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2014-06-26

Back to top Go down

Is anyone willing to do a comparison for me? Pretty please :) Empty White Comparisons

Post by Denise Cold Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:47 am

I actually did this awhile ago because someone was asking about Global White. I actually prefer the texture of Global white and doesn't get as gloopy...but it fades over the top of other paints similar to Paradise.

Paradise and Snaz are great white bases but you can see in the photos (and when I've tried to use them) they nearly fall off the brush and don't keep going and are really bad for line work.

TAG white is really not a good paint. I've said that for years. It goes on like Wolfe and Dfx but then cracks and rolls off. Granted, at the time I was laying it on a little thick...but from what I've heard from other painters, it hasn't gotten any better.

I did a stars comparison to see how many stars I could get from a full load (I think I even counted the times I ran the brush over the cake!) and Dfx performed the best, Global is the one in the picture I believe....it went and went but you can see they are starting to look like Paradise and fading. I do hope they reformulate because I LOVE the new Strong Black. Wolfe was a close second to the Dfx with only a few less stars. I think they are probably the same paint. TAG is supposed to be but it's not.

I got the line white version of FAB this last summer and I actually like it. Like Global, it's very creamy and I actually like the smell so much better than the "chemical compound" smell of Dfx & Wolfe but like Global & Paradise, it fades on top of other paints.

So, for now, Dfx & Wolfe are the go-to for line work. I will buy Global when it's improved because it's a sturdy paint and holds up to water and heat better. My white line work paints go to mush when it's humid. I've heard a lot of people are upset at Wolfe because of the way the company is run (and no, they haven't been associated with the Wolfe Brothers for over 10 years) so if you were choosing between the two, then Dfx. I've also heard that a lot of people are going to Cameleon white and like it alot, so that is another alternative.

Is anyone willing to do a comparison for me? Pretty please :) White_11

Is anyone willing to do a comparison for me? Pretty please :) P1340811
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:20 am

thanks, denise. i got wolfe white based on it's reputation, after struggling with the typical newbie snazaroo white. so much better.

recently i was practicing a design with a snaz sparkle base, though, and it sucked the wolfe white into the color after a while No
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Musick Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Forest-Fairy wrote:With tag, the colors are very strong and like to 'bleed' through lighter colors. Mehron is WAY worse for this if you are painting over wax base like tag.

Options are to either leave blank space to place your tear drops (i know not really an option right lol)

Add a 2nd coat to get your whites whiter.

Use it over less harsh colors. Usually it's the same ones what stain skin that are the worst for color bleed.

I know that this was posted forever ago so hopefully you see this...so what you are saying is that if you are going to use Tag or Mehron for line work & tear drops to only do so over colors that are light or sheer?

And that the colors that bleed easily and stain skin shouldn't be used for line work either?

Thx in advance Smile
Jessica Musick
Jessica Musick

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:19 am

i believe she means if you use softer brands of face paint like mehron paradise and snazaroo (no wax ingredient) for line work, over a base like tag (paraffin wax ingredient, saturated color), the tag will bleed through the linework.

the linework will pick up the color of the tag beneath it, and possibly blur.
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Musick Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:04 am

jlirie wrote:i believe she means if you use softer brands of face paint like mehron paradise and snazaroo (no wax ingredient) for line work, over a base like tag (paraffin wax ingredient, saturated color), the tag will bleed through the linework.

the linework will pick up the color of the tag beneath it, and possibly blur.

Thanks that was really helpful makes a lot more sense now! ☺
Jessica Musick
Jessica Musick

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum