Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Hoo in Florida!

5 posters

Go down

Hello from Hoo in Florida! Empty Hello from Hoo in Florida!

Post by Hoodat Whatzit Tue May 27, 2014 9:32 pm

I keep finding myself coming back to the forum so I guess it is time to introduce myself.

I am not currently face painting but I am thinking of giving it a go again. Many years ago, I did a few small festivals here and there and some school functions (I am in elementary education... currently a reading a coach). Previously, it was mostly cheek designs and the festivals did keep me busy enough to make it worthwhile but I never really felt like fully committing (although I had a pretty nice kit started at the time).

My dad (in his 70's btw) is an artist and for years he made his living painting carnival rides (he loves to paint kiddie rides and carousels) and as an airbrusher (he's painted more t-shirts and auto tags than you can imagine). Anyhow, mom and dad have finally come off the road (and moved in with me) and it's given him more time for his oil painting. For the past year or so he's been working arts and crafts shows and festivals and I often tag along with them to shows. Anyway... we often notice that even when nobody is selling any art... the face painters are usually always busy. :)Dad's recently been thinking of focusing on the arts and crafts festivals (rather than juried art shows) and concentrating on art for kids rooms (fairies, superheroes, etc. personalized with kid's names) and I'm thinking it might be an opportunity to double our booth space and set up side by side. Mom can help both of us out because I remember what it is like to try to paint, manage the line, and keep track of money all at the same time!

The real clincher was a few weeks ago for my school's big "State Testing is Over!" celebration. I was taking photos (I dabble in photography -- obviously I gravitate toward expensive hobbies) and realized our art teacher's face painting booth was the longest line on the play field. She looked frazzled within the first 15 minutes so I offered to pitch in...which was met with a raised eyebrow since this is my first year at this school and nobody had any clue that I could draw a straight line with a ruler much less had any experience with face painting. Once we established that the designs on her board wouldn't be a problem for me, she gave me her extra brushes, we found two more chairs and I got started. Three hours and a sore butt later.... the passing thought of... "well, I'm at these festivals anyway, I could try face painting again" was more of a reality.

So in the past few weeks I've begun the research process. This forum has become a great resource for me so far. I think I'm almost ready to plunk down some money for a basic palette and a practice head... but you folks keep talking about all the wonderful colors, tools, and fancy necessities out there and it is hard not go overboard.

We'll see if I decide to really give it a whirl again. In the meantime, I appreciate all the information on the forum.

~ Hoodat Whatzit

Last edited by Hoodat Whatzit on Tue May 27, 2014 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

Hoodat Whatzit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Hello from Hoo in Florida! Empty Re: Hello from Hoo in Florida!

Post by Kris5115 Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi and welcome!
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:32 pm

welcome!
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Brite Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:32 am

So fun to read your intro. Hi! Hope it goes well
XSam
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:54 am

Sounds like a life of color...welcome to the newest transition!
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down