Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have an INTERVIEW!

5 posters

Go down

I have an INTERVIEW! Empty I have an INTERVIEW!

Post by LaLaLaura Sat May 24, 2014 1:40 am

This happened so fast! Yesterday I was considering taking an oil workshop in hopes of learning. Since I scratched that from the list, I found out there's another face painter in town that works the local farmer's market every weekend. I dug and found her on Facebook, sent her a short and sweet lesson request and was shocked to see a friend request and a message telling me to be there first thing in the morning!
I'm so nervous and excited but my main question is, how do I make sure I make it clear to her that I respect her and don't want to encroach on her territory? And I really don't. I want another face painter I can work WITH. Festivals, events, and perhaps when the trust has built up, we can cover each other's clients and throw each other work when we're booked.
Honestly, I'm after a different demographic. Birthday parties might be few and far between but the nightlife in Charleston, SC is always kicking! There's themed party nights at clubs galore, there's strippers and gay bars! There's also our local flea market that doesn't have a face painter. This is a huge pond and plenty of room for everyone. But, hw do I make that clear without coming on too strong?
Also, should I bring my kit and offer to paint for her for free? I was planning on painting free for practice anyway and I think it would show good faith that I'll work and let her keep the money, but again, that could be coming on too strong too fast.
I know this is short notice but I fell asleep super early yesterday evening and decided to check fb when I woke up.
Anyone alive out there this time of night, I have to be there at 8am EST. Thank you!

LaLaLaura

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

I have an INTERVIEW! Empty Re: I have an INTERVIEW!

Post by LaLaLaura Sat May 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Well, a lot of views but no responses. I'll tell you what happened anyway.
She has two daughters that work with her and two other ladies that she can call on during the week but not weekends. She turns down work constantly because she's over booked.
She asked that I paint as many designs as I feel comfortable doing and come back next week to show her pics. She needs help, so, I don't think it could've gone any better! I'm really excited and glad to have the opportunity to learn the business without having to wing it. And what a great person to learn from. She's sooooo nice!
I told her I'm interested in painting in night clubs and she just laughed lol. I don't think she views me as competition, thank goodness. By the time I'm ready to get my own license and insurance, hopefully we'll have built a strong enough relationship that she'll throw me the work she has to turn down. I'm so glad I found her!

LaLaLaura

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus Sat May 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Good for you! Glad it worked out so well.  Very Happy 
eviedejesus
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Brite Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:54 am

That's the ideal! There is enough for everyone, I think
Congrats. Such a good feeling isnt it! Win win
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:53 am

I know someone here that used to walk around nightclubs doing tribals (So basically only carried black and white) with like an old "cigarette girl" style tray and would do VERY well- so, if you can get into the market it can be a good one.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Yay! I'm glad it worked out well. It's great to be able to network and share jobs. We have a little group local to myself that I couldn't live without. We help each other out on gigs and hire each other out when we can't take the work ourselves. It's priceless to know I can refer someone I trust to an established client. Good job networking!
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down