Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to charge for a convention

3 posters

Go down

What to charge for a convention Empty What to charge for a convention

Post by Eudocia Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:39 pm

Hello,

I am new to the forum, but I have been painting for just about a year now.  I'm trying to book a job with a Brony convention that lasts for three days.  The thing is, I have no idea how much to charge for such an extended amount of time.  Also, what if they don't have the money - should I try to set up a paint per face booth?

My party rate is $75 an hour and you can see my work at my facebook page, under the name Illustrated Faces.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Laura
Eudocia
Eudocia

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-04-19

http://www.illustratedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

What to charge for a convention Empty Re: What to charge for a convention

Post by Forest-Fairy Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:26 am

That's a good rate for the work. I charged the same rate to large events my first years painting, so go with that, but tack on a min 2 hour booking to your large event contract. Smile

Hmm as for a Brony Convention...

If they are willing to pay you:
I would do something like have them book to for 2-4 hours at the peak times of the event, (like 12-4 or something) and perhaps just the busiest day or preferably all 3 days. Remember to say that face painting is a real draw for crowds (cuz it is).

If money is tight...
Offer a ticket system, or donation system with your full rate.

Donation System:
They pay you to be there, but the public give you donations per painting. You give these to the client and it helps off set their costs for hiring you!

Ticket System:
The event pays your full rate and sells face painting tickets ($2-$5 or something), public comes to you with the ticket and get anything they like for it! (within reason, no body paintings lol)
Helps the event earn back some money to help pay for your fee.
Best part about this is you can still make tips at your table and you don't have to handle money (which would slow you down). You can even offer to bring the tickets to the event for them to sell to the public!

If they are broke:
Offer to set up an paint per face. List your prices and have a section suitable to the event on a sign. This can be words, clip art, or pictures you have done.

Only offer this option if they turn down the 2nd or 1st one.

Always remember to talk about who is supplying the table chairs and tent etc, you or them.

Finally the words of experience with these kind of event/crowds are this:

-Every Brony I have met has gone bat-poo crazy over Aryn and I's MLP designs.

-Some are cheapskates, some are so over joyed they give you a huge tip.

-We painted at an anime convention once.... Never again... The crowds that go to these types of events are usually younger (teens to late 20s) and usually don't have kids, they also carry a limited amount of cash they they brought in search of novelty items they can't get most places, and face painting isn't one of them...
We were supposed to be there for 4 hours, we packed up after 1.5 because we painted one person... for $2...

Be prepared to not paint very many people if it was anything like the anime event we went to. If you are planning to set up a pay per face at this event and you get another gig offer - take it.

Not sure about Brony's... it could go either way. Let me know how it turns out! Very Curious!
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Eudocia Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:23 am

Thank you so much for the advice! I will definitely offer the first two options and see where that goes. It is a three day convention - for Bronies - so I'd like to think they have a decent budget. Plus it isn't until September, so i hope they can plan to budget me in. I'll let you know if I manage to book the job.
Eudocia
Eudocia

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-04-19

http://www.illustratedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:33 pm

@Forest-Fairy Do you have a separate contract for those deals?
Kal
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down