Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas designs for dark skin- HELP PLEASE!!

+4
saloner
thouartbeautiful
nikkili26
enchanted beauty
8 posters

Go down

Christmas designs for dark skin- HELP PLEASE!! Empty Christmas designs for dark skin- HELP PLEASE!!

Post by enchanted beauty Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:07 am

Hi! Im new to face painting.. my first real gig is in a few weeks. So I need some help!
Its for free for kids in foster care
All the kids have darker skin tones
About 30 kids in 2 hours
Its a Christmas party

Advice? Colours? Designs?

enchanted beauty

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-11-10

Back to top Go down

Christmas designs for dark skin- HELP PLEASE!! Empty Re: Christmas designs for dark skin- HELP PLEASE!!

Post by nikkili26 Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:20 am

I am dark skinned....

the only advice is this:neon colors are not neon on dark skin.

I never saw any use for my neon paints until I finally used them at a bday party on some of the very fair skin kids....those colors POP!!!now I love them, and finally get some use from my neon rainbow cake.

if you aren't sure what color combo's to use, take a look at the clothing they are wearing.dark colored people come in all shades-olive, red undertones, cool browns, warm browns, yellow.

for the yellow toned, I find that all shades of blue look amazing.

in general, just because my skin is brown, most of the time, you can't see the color red or orange-and if you do see it, it doesn't look as striking as you'd imagine.kinda blends in.
however, colors like white, tan, gold, silver stand out brilliantly.yellow, mango, peach-they all look great.

as I said, when I worked for light skinned clients, I found that all of my "rarely touched" paints actually were amazing on their skin tone....
so go through your kit and find all the paints you think you never will need-bet they will create some amazing designs on darker skin.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Christmas designs for dark skin- HELP PLEASE!! Empty Re: Christmas designs for dark skin- HELP PLEASE!!

Post by thouartbeautiful Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:09 pm

I would recommend to stick to lighter tones cause they seem to pop more.  Baby blue, pink, and lime green worked really nice for me.
thouartbeautiful
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:17 pm

^^^^^yes
and go for pearl and metallic shades too.pearl red looks awesome.

if you are going to get a Christmas cake, get the pearl version....looks great on all skin tones.something with pearl green, pearl white, pearl red and maybe a gold or pearl yellow.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by saloner Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:58 am

I agree with Nikki. I will often test a color on their hand first. I find that the colors wont appear the same on the very dark skin. Sometimes even the pearl type colors are too sheer and look awful. They look dynamite with gold glitter ( I use the glitter get to outline.) Neon is great, so is the white but really jazz it up with sparkles, very beautiful
saloner
saloner

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-04-18

https://www.facebook.com/facepaintnmama1

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:04 am

For Spidey, Red Starblends shows up pretty darn good on darker skin - much, much better than a red paint does.
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:34 am

Good idea miss Ronnie! In my country (well, in any country probably) Spidey is the biggest hype for 2 to 12 year old boys, and I just hate how red doesn't work well on dark skin, I'm always afraid the kids are gonna complain that it doesn't look good because it's not red enough!

I'm totally gonna invest in a red starblend!
Tineke
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:36 am

Oh, and for butterflies I usually use a thin pastel outline around the regular outlining of my butterfly, it really makes a butterfly design pop on darker skin, I love it!
Tineke
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Very true, Tineke...I just started experimenting with my outlining, and also found that the double outline of a dark color with a white edge looks amazing!

For fair skin, a light outline with a color edge looks equally amazing.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by meenie Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:34 am

I make split cakes for sale and usually take pictures of test swatches on both dark and light skin. I have found that metallic paints pop more on dark skin for some reason.

meenie

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:06 am

Most the face paints work up pretty well for even the darkest of skin tones. It's just a matter of making sure they are thick enough & not too wet on the sponge.

Christmas designs for dark skin- HELP PLEASE!! Christ15

Christmas designs for dark skin- HELP PLEASE!! Newtow10
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by saloner Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:58 am

Psalmbook...that little boy is the cutest, the snow man is a great one for quickies Thanks for posting
saloner
saloner

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-04-18

https://www.facebook.com/facepaintnmama1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down