Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NYC - No car! - What kind of portable kit should I get?

+2
nikkili26
The Cheeky Chipmunk
6 posters

Go down

NYC - No car! - What kind of portable kit should I get?  Empty NYC - No car! - What kind of portable kit should I get?

Post by The Cheeky Chipmunk Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Hello! Smile
My name is Lenore, and I live in the NYC area. I started my face painting business about 3 weeks ago now, so I'm still a newb. I am currently housing my small paint collection in a small plastic bin. But now that I'm buying more stuff (it's addicting, isn't it? Wink ) I need a better case.

I posted this question in the FB group about face painting kits, but I wanted to post it here too to get more opinions. My main issue is that I live in NYC, so I don't have a car. (We sold it when we moved here). I take public transportation everywhere because I live near a subway stop. And I walk.

I have a mad crush on the kits that are fashioned out of electronic guitar cases. I LOVE the idea of opening up my kit, and having everything all spread out and organized and ready for me to use. I don't want to have to rummage through a bag to find what I have packed, and then to have to arrange everything on a table. I'm doing that now, and I'm not a huge fan of this. I want to just be able to open up my case and to just see everything ready for me to use at my fingertips. All ready to go. Every time I see a picture of one of those kits, I SWOON.

But my concern is: How easy will it be for me to get around with a kit like that? Up and down stairs constantly? In the subway? On the NYC bus? Will it feel too heavy? Too unwieldy? Too cumbersome to carry or roll? Am I asking for trouble in getting one? And if so... what should I get instead?

(I have been told by numerous people that the FatMax is too heavy and bulky to get up and down stairs, and I deal with stairs a LOT. Not just the subway, but many of my clients live in pre-war walk-ups with no elevators, etc).

Thanks ahead of time for your valuable input and advice! Smile

The Cheeky Chipmunk

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-10-14

Back to top Go down

NYC - No car! - What kind of portable kit should I get?  Empty Re: NYC - No car! - What kind of portable kit should I get?

Post by nikkili26 Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Omg, what on earth is in your kit?

I put my kit in a scrapbooking case for a more polished professional look, but honestly I can fit it all in my coach tote.

My kit consist of a small glitter shaker- i prefer it to a poofer, gets the job done and lasts forever.
2 paint laptops-one with splits, one with one strokes
2 Ziploc bags of about 60 sponge pieces
2 Wolfe essentials palettes
about 40 paint brushes
spray sanitizer
bottle of isoprophyl alcohol
gems and glue and googly eyes
2 black washcloth
baby wipes
2 bottles of water
2 spray bottles-one for misting.
stencils
business cards
one Wolfe black
one Wolfe white
cotton buds/ q tips
one silverware organizer made of solid black plastic that I can use for water or to organize my sponges and brushes.

all fits in the coach shoulder bag.
I carry my 3 compartment water tray on the side.

of course, everything fits into the scrapbook case-which also contains some foam sheets with design samples on them.

I like the scrapbook case because I can carry almost 80 brushes plus backup makeup in case mine gets gooey....but it's really just for show, like my apron! I just enjoy unpacking it for the client Smile
plus, it won't bother me if it gets paint splattered, as the coach bag was pricey....

I guess long story short, if I were in your shoes, I'd use a tote bag. I purchased that coach to use as a diaper bag...quickly replaced it with my neverful and never used it again, making it perfect for facepainting....the pockets are just the right depth for my brushes, it neatly fits my laptops, and the outside pockets are easy access.

try out some of your old bags with compartments, and get a laptop for your paints.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

NYC - No car! - What kind of portable kit should I get?  Empty Re: NYC - No car! - What kind of portable kit should I get?

Post by Kris5115 Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:25 am

You could attach wheels to one end of the guitar case and a handle on the other. Then it would roll along with you.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Magick Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:49 am

wow my kit is tiny compared to you all. my whole kit fits in my laptop bag.

then again i only paint at parties as an add on or back up. Shannon on the other hand has a suitcase filled. the kind with wheels and a handle
Michael Magick
Michael Magick

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2013-02-24

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Belief-Magic/1166254450630

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:47 pm

With that kind of challenge, I would do minimalist thinking---maybe a laptop bag with wheels.
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Colorful Faces Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:35 am

Have you think in a "BAZIC Folding Cart on Wheels with Lid Cover, 16 x 18 x 15 Inch" is very convenience, and you also can use it to sit your clients.

I hope you find a solution for that.

Liz
Liz Colorful Faces
Liz Colorful Faces

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2013-11-17

http://www.Colorfulfaces.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:55 am

If you have to carry your kit on transit you have to figure out how much weight you want to have to struggle with and then find a case that you can carry comfortably for long distances and on stairs.

Condense your paints into smaller containers/palettes. Use collapsible containers and lighter options for things you need to carry. Like put half or a quarter of a package of wipes in a ziploc. Use soft camping style water jugs that collapse when empty and only take what you need to use.

When I first started make-up school I had to bus it with my kit (only until I found another student to car pool with!) As soon as I graduated I got my own vehicle (first I had to get a drivers' license!)

It is NOT easy and if you don't want to injure yourself, take the minimum amount of stuff you can work with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down