Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My own split cakes

+5
eva
nikkili26
fesspenter
Rebons
Maxell
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My own split cakes Empty My own split cakes

Post by Maxell Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:46 pm

OK...so just wanted to relay a home project I did and it was all from the information received from people here on this forum.

I read about the containers for the splits on here.
I watched videos on how to do it with links from here.
I read about the success others have had with creating there own.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone.

I would appreciate hearing other peoples custom color split cakes.  I used all TAG.

Word of advice, Pearl Tag is a pain in the naughty word to get out of its container the first couple if strips.  If it is your first time doing it...do not start with PEARLS...u will get frustrated.  

I can tell you that from about 10 or so colors, you can make a lot of different splits;
yellow, white, purple, black, red, green, light green, lilac, teal, 2-3 different blues.  If you plan on doing it...order a magenta as well.  I didn't and noticed a lot of splits use magenta or at least a similar color.  I tried rose, but it wasn't the same.  

My own split cakes Split_10

My own split cakes Split_12

And it is very addictive.  Another thing that you will notice is that some of your TAG cakes can be firm, while others are mushy to get out of the original case.  If i didn't have the 2 tools in the picture, it would have been a lot messier.  Be careful of black, it transferred onto my other colors very easily, till I gave them a try.

James.....

aka "Maxellbia"
Maxell
Maxell

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2013-05-24

Back to top Go down

My own split cakes Empty Re: My own split cakes

Post by Rebons Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:56 pm

When I first started making my own splits ( with the first cakes I bought), my husband & teenager both freaked out... "Mom, are you sure you know what you're doing?!". Of course they were already concerned my obsession had gone over the deep end! Smile
Yes I have found that all metallics/pearls are pains to split. Someone on this forum recommended spritzing them once a day for a few days before cutting, but I never had the patience to wait.
They look great btw. What containers did you use?
Rebons
Rebons

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2012-08-14

Http://happypaintedfaces.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxell Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:24 am

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=97276&catid=802

They are slightly smaller then i wanted...1 1/4 by 2 would have been perfect.
Maxell
Maxell

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:00 am

You can freeze or refrigerate your Pearls for a few minutes to keep them firmer before transferring. I am usually in too much of a hurry to wait very long for paint to get cold.

I have begun to use Pearl Black in my OneStroke Rainbow Splits. Pearls don't blend as easily as the regular matte finish. My Black/White split is Pearl Black/ Wolfe White. I started off with a Wolfe Black/ Wolfe White split....and it became gray, all the time. Thank you to the Forum peeps who recommended the Pearl Black!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:12 am

WOW.....

after my next party, i'm definitely going to attempt this.... I've been like you-looking, reading, gathering information...but never ready to take the plunge-but wow!!!!so much variety out of just 10 cakes!

and your combinations are gorgeous!!!how did you come up with them? have you tried them out yet? do they blend together?

also, I freeze my paints before a party-doesn't really take too long for them to firm up-not nearly as long as freezing icecubes.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxell Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Nikkili26,

I just went on all the different ordering sites and looked to see what combos TAG officially had and then certain sites had custom ones. Even if it wasn't listed, it wasn't too hard to figure out the color combos. I know Denise has a couple of custom colors on here to
Maxell
Maxell

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:28 pm

can I do this with snazaroo?!
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxell Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:04 pm

I haven't heard of anyone making splits out of snaz.....not saying that you can't
Maxell
Maxell

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:49 pm

You can make splits out of Snazaroo, but they can be incredibly frustrating because you have to constantly reload. I learned this first hand. Also, because they go slightly dull after a few minutes, they do not have the same "punch" as other brands. It's worth a Try to do one and see how you like them
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Maxellbia, they look wonderful!
eva
eva

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxell Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:32 pm

ty
Maxell
Maxell

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyB Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:05 pm

I have a few snaz splits, they aren't as pretty as these, but they serve their purpose. I have only recently gotten paints other then snaz and I am having a hard time accepting the staining part.

Anyway, Snaz does need to be reloaded quite a bit, it is not as vibrant as other paints BUT if Snaz is all you are offering and you make pretty combinations then no one is going to really know what they are missing out on.

I have seen a few other people mention Snaz in their split cakes, unless I am misunderstanding.

and Maxellbia, yours are awesome!! so pretty! Smile

-Danny
DannyB
DannyB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by mamajane Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:00 am

I made Snaz split cakes.  I have an orange and yellow split, a green and yellow split, a light brown / dark brown split, a camo split with dark green, lighter green, and brown, a pink and turquoise split that is popular for butterflies, a true rainbow, and a tiny one stroke pastel rainbow.  I agree with Danny!

I really love TAG, too, and I think your split cakes are so lovely Maxellbia!
mamajane
mamajane

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2013-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:26 am

Snaz used to make splits... they were around the first company to actually make them, also the first to STOP making them. Issues with tracking batch numbers, FDA regulations, etc.

I have always had combination cakes of Snaz, and also used their rainbow cakes. This was done with a Snaz Rainbow cake (it is ALL Snazaroo actually, the black and white too)

My own split cakes Fprainbtfly

I currently use a couple of Snaz combinations - Sparkle Lilac/Electric Purple is a favourite.

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:41 am

HOW do you DO it!!!how do you make the snaz BLACK soooooooooo opaque and sharp!!!

do you wait til the paint is completely dry? how long does that take?

I don't think snaz is dull...I love the snaz red, the snaz pink, the yellow and the orange :)they are my favorites!  I recently got the purple snaz and I am soooooooooooo in love with it!  It is exactly the same shade as the purple in my paradise prism rainbow...love it!

I  use it as purple/pink/orange on the sponge...or white/yellow/orange, or white/blue/green....comes out very vibrant to me.  I always individually load my paints on the sponge, but I'm really thinking maybe I should just make my own split so it's always ready to go.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:53 am

I meant one strokes, not split cakes, sorry. I do use snaz for some splits for bases but find them incredibly frustrating for one stroke.
Shannon, your butterfly is beautiful.
eva
eva

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:40 am

nikkili26 wrote:HOW do you DO it!!!how do you make the snaz BLACK soooooooooo opaque and sharp!!!
First the base needs to be dry... which should only take about 10 seconds or so if it was the right consistency. It takes practise to get that right. I would load a damp sponge (damp NOT wet!) by rubbing across the cake using the rounded side, not the flat side, of the sponge. Then rock it across the skin to apply the colour.

I use Snaz black in my working kit, always have. It is a matter of consistency. I add water to my cakes when I set up - just a few drops, so always have gooey paint ready to use. The black should be the consistency of liquid craft paint - then load the brush properly by dipping in the gooey part then stroking back and forth on the dry part of the cake to shape the brush.

I also starting using TAG Pearl Black which flows easier than the Snaz for long strokes and swirls but it doesn't photograph as a solid black due to the shimmer.

Back to top Go down

Post by mamajane Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Sorry Maxellbia, we have totally hijacked this thread into a Snaz topic!

@eva - I can't use my Snaz one stroke with a brush very easily, it gets muddy. But with one of those pouncers it makes a lovely rainbow!

@Shannon - I haven't even tried line work with my black Snaz, you've inspired me to try!
mamajane
mamajane

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxell Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:22 pm

doesn't bother me in the slightest.....keep it going...love to read the stuff.
Maxell
Maxell

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:15 am

So tag pearl DOES look like regular black in person?

Also, thanks for the tip!I forced my self to only use snazaroo black at a gig yesterday.it went great! Guess I was using too much water after all...My new strategy was to only lightly mist my brush or sponge.....came out so great, and didn't blend in when I applied homework.....Also, I didn't need a ton of paint like I thought, even with less water.

Also, I made a few splits with snazaroo with a few colors each.....so far, very good! Thanks everyone Smile
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:33 am

nikkili26 wrote:So tag pearl DOES look like regular black in person?
To the naked eye, yes. I use it a lot at the clubs.

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:59 pm

I used Paradise's new brilliant silver for linework on Tuesday and I love it. It by Far is the best silver I have ever used, especially for lines, and the brilliants do jot smell like coconut. I am going to try the Tag sparkle black, I have heard a lot of good things about it. I also use Snazaroo black for lines for years, it just takes a little more work, I used to take a couple and put them in a cooler in a ziplock bag with my drinks and switch off every so often.
eva
eva

Back to top Go down

Post by ediesbeads Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:03 am

Question... what do you do with the remaining paint after you cut out the middle for your splits? Do you just use it as is... do you repot it into something else? Just wondering what is the most efficient way to do things.
ediesbeads
ediesbeads

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:13 am

hmm. I just my splits however and from wherever...no method to my madness...sometimes it is a thin cresent moon from the side, other times a chunk from the middle, and other times, I just cut the whole thing in half.

depends on what i'm using it for-a tiger split has more orange than yellow....while my giraffe split has more yellow than orange.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by mamajane Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm kind of anal about left overs. I like to transfer splits to the same sized container so I don't have a bunch of weird pieces left over. Any odd shapes that I do end up with get carefully saved to top off splits that get worn down, or to add to a new split or rainbow.

One gal on youtube has a confetti cake that she uses for butterflies, but I've never tried that -- it'd be a nice way to use up random little bits though.
mamajane
mamajane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum