Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm finally "the better face painter" at a fair!

+2
veelux
smileonyu
6 posters

Go down

I'm finally "the better face painter" at a fair! Empty I'm finally "the better face painter" at a fair!

Post by smileonyu Sat May 11, 2013 7:34 pm

So basically I did some research online a month ago, found out about this spring fair, and emailed the council of arts and ask if I could be present. They emailed me back two weeks later, happily accepting my help, without mentioning my wage. Then they sent me another email saying that the council is willing to pay up to $100 for my services. After a night of research on the forum, I wrote back to them, politely sealed the deal and pointed out how much I've invested in this, and they upped their offer to $200+$20 travel fee, and lowered the hours from 6 to 4. I know it's still not my full rate, but it's decent compensation, and I DO need to open more doors in this area!

Anyway, I did some research, practiced the designs, and the day was a blast! It was raining off and on, mostly on, through out the fair. But it's nice in a way, for I was already paid, and could take the leisure of relaxation and grabbing some photos. None of us knew that somewhere at the fair someone else was also offering face paintings! When the first girl who got a green smudge on her face came to me to get painted, I was so worried that the paint was acrylic! Thankfully it seemed to be just the regular store-bought palmer paints. I wiped it off and gave her a kitty cat and she was sooo happy!

I didn't want to be disrespectful to the other people's work; we all started somewhere! But it did make me feel good and proud to know that all the hard (and super fun!) work I put into face painting shows and pays! When they complimented on my talent, I'd tell them it's just plain old solid work. For the only hour where the sun shone, I instantly got a line and lots and lots of "ooohs" and "awwws". It was wonderful.

This was what I painted on myself as advertisement:
I'm finally "the better face painter" at a fair! 92322611
Linda(Psalmbook)'s famous horse; have been wanting to try it for a while:
I'm finally "the better face painter" at a fair! 20130510
Ninja mom, in pink:
I'm finally "the better face painter" at a fair! 20130511
Kitty cat:
I'm finally "the better face painter" at a fair! 20130512
fluttering eye; the green blotch was from another painter:
I'm finally "the better face painter" at a fair! 20130513
Still need to work on line works and confidence; thanks to the fp community for all the mutual-supports! I love you guys!
smileonyu
smileonyu

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-09-03

http://smileonyu.com

Back to top Go down

I'm finally "the better face painter" at a fair! Empty Re: I'm finally "the better face painter" at a fair!

Post by veelux Sun May 12, 2013 12:45 am

Nice job. Good for you for getting more money and good for you for doing such good work and creating lots of smiles.
veelux
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

I'm finally "the better face painter" at a fair! Empty Re: I'm finally "the better face painter" at a fair!

Post by ............... Sun May 12, 2013 4:44 am

Last edited by Kaleidoscopejen on Wed May 22, 2013 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Lacey's Faces Sun May 12, 2013 7:20 pm

I know that feeling!
I did a festival last summer that had 3 other face painters also. It was a Large festival that shut down the whole downtown area. About halfway through the event, and my only break as i was jam packed the whole time and a guy walked up and started checking out my paints and display, he then started asking some really odd questions about where i get them, how i did my display, did i paint the kids in the pictures myself and so on.
I then tell him just google professional pants and you can find what works best for the individual and yes i painted each and every photo myself...
I then find out he's a friend of one of the other face painters who was NOT happy with me as some of my clients would walk past her line see my paintings ask where they got them and left to come to my booth.
I was shocked! I seriously had no idea it was going on till that point. It secretly did feel good tho but i also did not want to alien-ate myself from the other face painters in the area as that was my first year in business.
I did get ALOT of bookings out of that event too, it was a blast!

Great job! Hard work and practice pays off in the end!
Lacey's Faces
Lacey's Faces

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie Mon May 13, 2013 2:32 am

I specially love, love, love the design you painted on yourself!!
That's soooo pretty!!
l!zzie
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by smileonyu Mon May 13, 2013 9:13 am

Kalei, I just recently found your page on Facebook and love your works! Especially the misty arm arts using FAB. And thanks everybody for sharing your thoughts and stories!
smileonyu
smileonyu

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-09-03

http://smileonyu.com

Back to top Go down

Post by acarreon Wed May 15, 2013 12:20 am

What an awesome feeling! You go girl!
acarreon
acarreon

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2012-04-14

http://lexisskinvas.wix.com/skinvas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down