Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What about those lips?!

+16
ninaschau
Psalmbook
Lady Jayde
artyfacesbyluz
l!zzie
Sandie
Valerie A
mamakatrien
Erica's Funny Faces
TheGildedCat
Willoughby
Kammy
liquidlatex
Fanie
martha
Katurah
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What about those lips?! Empty What about those lips?!

Post by Katurah Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 pm

How do you all make making lips?! I see lips that are all 3 colors used in the design and dots and all this awesomeness! I'm in awe of Jody Rife's awesome lips (hehe)

I'm just not sure how to make the lips look "pretty", if that makes sense.

Help?!
Katurah
Katurah

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2012-03-12

http://www.katurahpaintspeople.com/

Back to top Go down

What about those lips?! Empty Re: What about those lips?!

Post by martha Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:54 pm

Katurah, ways to do lips are only limited by your time and imagination. Some people have one favorite lip color and stick to that for everyone. You can do a single color that is also used in your design. Do a Mark Reid style lip with lots of glitter on the paint. Lay down a color and then layer a lighter color in the center of the lips to make them look fuller. Do a one stroke cake type with a brush. Add dots, stripes, etc., etc. Do whatever makes you happy.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanie Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:56 am

If it's for my portfolio, I take my time. Smile But if I have 100 kids waiting in line, I sometimes skip them or I will put a little bit of color on a QTip and add it on.

With lips, I'm more concerned with viruses than anything else. I am always super-careful when I add colors on them.
Fanie
Fanie

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-11-21

http://www.fanie.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanie Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:58 am

Oh, and I'm trying to find some kind of cute palette with all kind of different lipstick colors on it. (Like pink and red, but also blue, oranges, green, etc!) So the colors will stay instead of fading since facepaint is waterbased. Rolling Eyes
Fanie
Fanie

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-11-21

http://www.fanie.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by liquidlatex Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:56 am

Wat type of paint is used ,because you apply the paint colors in lip means it is have more possibilities to go inside your stomach.In that case what we have to do?

liquidlatex

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-12-06

http://www.liquidlatexonline.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:31 am

liquidlatex wrote:Wat type of paint is used ,because you apply the paint colors in lip means it is have more possibilities to go inside your stomach.In that case what we have to do?
Professional face paints, with a few exceptions not intended for use around the lips or eyes, are generally safe to use in those areas.
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Willoughby Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:39 am

Kammy wrote:
liquidlatex wrote:Wat type of paint is used ,because you apply the paint colors in lip means it is have more possibilities to go inside your stomach.In that case what we have to do?
Professional face paints, with a few exceptions not intended for use around the lips or eyes, are generally safe to use in those areas.

Does it not make us wonder then just how safe these paints are, seeing as there are clearly those which are not intended for use around the lips or eyes...

Willoughby

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2012-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:52 am

Face paints are water activated makeup. Same difference as lipstick IMO.
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by Willoughby Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:11 am

OK so does anyone know the actual reasons as to why red should not be near the eyes and blue should not be near the lips?

Willoughby

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:30 am

I don't know if these are the reasons that makeup companies don't recommend those colors used near eyes and lips but, from a medical standpoint, we don't want to see conditions masked by makeup. Blue lips are a sign of inadequate oxygenation (cyanosis) while red around the eyes can indicate infection.
As long as I am buying quality face paints, I have no problem with them. Of course, I am not the uber-back-to-nature-organics-only type of person. I saw a company once trying to market "organic" face paints. They were expensive and looked like a crappy product so I'm sticking with what I currently use.
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by Willoughby Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:43 am

Yeah, that's understandable - it's just that you'd think the reasons would be stated somewhere, in black and white.

Willoughby

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:54 am

I think it's also worth bearing in mind that "face paints" ARE make up, not paints. They're designed to be worn on the face, just like fashion make up. Incidentally, you're not supposed to use some blushers or eyeshadows around the lips either - some of mine say so on the pots, and I use organic mineral make up! Certain pigments used in normal make up, whilst being tested as safe on the face, haven't always been completely cleared as safe on the lips.
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Willoughby Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:36 pm

Just found this in another thread (am quoting someone) : "I just flipped over my Snaz box, and it says: "Blue, Green, Pink and Purple should not be used on the lips. Red, Orange, Yellow, Pink and Purple should not be used in the eye area."

OK, so it's not just red and blue. And this is written on the back of the SNAZ paints? Supposedly the safest brand? I'm starting to feel slightly more uncomfortable as we progress Shocked I think I need a practice head or two fast!

Willoughby

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Haven't found any such warnings, but they could be being over-cautious in order to preserve their "safe" reputation. As in "well, we don't think anyone could get hurt, but let's take no chances on anything, like other brands might"?

Do you know from the thread where the commenter bought that kit?

I don't know. I have some Snaz (along with Superstar, TAG, DFX, Wolfe and Paradise) and my son has a kit, I just looked on the box and I haven't found any warnings on it. Smile
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Willoughby Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Sorry Kammy, don't know where she bought it, but here's the thread: http://www.facepaintforum.com/t11302-is-red-paint-around-the-eyes-unsafe

Willoughby

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Willoughby - did you read Elantura's reply? She explains why specific pigments are not approved for use in the thread you linked to.

Also, Lack of approval doesn't mean unsafe because none of our products are "approved" by the FDA, but instead use FDA compliant ingredients.

Snazaroo is also not inherently safer than other brands - it just likes to market itself as such.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:30 pm

I actually feel more reassured reading that thread. Looks like they may be tested in the EU but the FDA hasn't tested them yet, if they're not carrying warnings here....as usually we get warnings for E V E R Y T H I N G. Very Happy

I also agree with TheGildedCat that Snaz isn't safer than other brands - but don't believe it's inherently less safe, either. She's right that cosmetics aren't FDA-approved, too, only formulated from FDA-compliant ingredients.

I guess it's a very personal choice. I don't use red by the eyes or blue on the lips (except on myself for a couple of designs!) anyway, but in general I'm not worried about the paints in general. I've also used mineral blush on my lips that I'm not really supposed to, though, so obviously I don't look out for myself as well as I look out for potential models. Wink
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Willoughby Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Yes, I did read it all. I personally just find that it's all becoming way too technical. Such analyses should not be required by the layman who simply wants to know if the materials he/she is frequently plastering on his/her own kids' faces is absolutely and without a doubt 100% safe. Why make it difficult? Why not keep it simple for everyone to understand? Same goes for the whole Neon issue.

TGC, to me this statement is confusing in itself: "Also, Lack of approval doesn't mean unsafe because none of our products are "approved" by the FDA, but instead use FDA compliant ingredients."

My thoughts are that the product is equal to the sum of it's ingredients. So if the ALL the ingredients are approved AND THE COMBINATION of those ingredients is approved, then I need to assume that the product is approved.
Unless what you're referring to is indeed the fact that the combination/interaction of these ingredients has not been tested/approved, only their stand-alone phase. In that case, it would be stupid to assume the product would be safe at all.

I just want to know if almost daily painting with face 'paint' is going to affect my childrens' skin in anyway... especially in 10 years time. It appears we're all having to 'guess', we have to read between the lines and assume an awful lot here. If there's nothing bad in the paints, then why would you need to 'cover your a$$ legally?'
I am beginning to wonder if this was a good hobby to start with Sad It is/was something I enjoyed doing with my little girl, but if nothing's really cut and dried regarding safety, then it sure does put a dampener on things (well for me anyway).

Out of curiosity, only Kammy has replied, but how many of you paint your own kids daily for practice?

Willoughby

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:56 pm

You won't get to paint your own kids for long....they eventually flee at the very mention of the HORROR OF THE BRUSH. Wink

You have to understand that "FDA Approved" doesn't exist with respect to cosmetics. There's no such thing. There's only "FDA Compliant", meaning that the ingredients are all on the FDA's "approved" list.

In the end, only you can decide what to use - or not to use - on your child's skin. I'm a professionally-qualified holistic therapist with some training in skin and COSHH (Care of Substances Hazardous to Health) regulations, and personally I think it's a wonderful hobby that will not damage my precious, beloved little boy. You may personally decide that you don't feel comfortable with it, and that's OK too.

Know that whichever decision you come to, it's really admirable that you're looking into things and educating yourself about your child's safety. That's NEVER a wasted quest. Smile

Take care,

Kammy x
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:59 pm

I paint my kids and myself fairly often...not daily but still quite alot. I have a practice head as well but I actually prefer to practice on real skin, it's different on plastic/rubber.
Erica's Funny Faces
Erica's Funny Faces

Number of posts : 1306
Registration date : 2012-08-20

http://www.thefunnyfacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Willoughby Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks Kammy, I really appreciate your understanding of my dilemma! Sigh. If only we knew what the future held. All this buzz sure doesn't make things easy...

Willoughby

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:06 pm

as far as covering your business behind legally goes, it is probably one of those things where one incident may have prompted this warning.

Like I once read on a microwave dinner "careful, hot when heated" in HUGE lettering too. Must be a lawsuit that triggered that warning, or would they just have a funny marketing dept?

Last edited by mamakatrien on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : lol, had a "naughty word" in it)
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:08 pm

testing testing the bots: bad naughty word stencils
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:09 pm

LOL! it changed automatically, gotta love those bots
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Do bear in mind you're reading all this "buzz" at once, and it will seem far bigger than it really is. I've done a fair bit of reading myself, and in the end came to much the same conclusion that Dean (LeapingLizards) talked about above. There are trace elements of "nasties" in just about everything, even the most innocuous items. Even in the air we breathe and the water we drink. As he said, the levels of nasties found in the Snaz paints were a good bit lower than the levels allowed in his local drinking water.

I'm still not planning on letting Cian melt down my Snaz and eat it. Knowing him, though....he'd try. Very Happy

And yes, I do understand your dilemma. The very reason you're seeing a buzz, and reading so much on this whole issue, is because safety is very important to professional face painters. I think it's reassuring. Personally, I won't use anything that I wouldn't happily put on my 4 year-old, and I certainly wouldn't knowingly expose him to harm.

Hugs,

Kammy x
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next