Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice please

+7
Valerie A
fesspenter
Denise Cold
mamakatrien
PaolaSunglow
amylady222
Rebons
11 posters

Go down

Advice please  Empty Advice please

Post by Rebons Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 am

I am so excited! I registered for the Connecticut convention. Now I have to decide which classes I am taking. Some names I recognize, others not. I was hoping some of the experienced painters could offer feedback on the instructors. The choices are: Nick Wolfe, Gary Cole, Pashur, Jay Bautista (I know these names but what if I have to choose between them?), and Nora Susko, Kristi Darby, Christina Kerr Davison, Roberta Mandella, Kerry Ann, Sean Avram, Alison Kenyan, and Ezia Leach. Thank you! Very Happy
Rebons
Rebons

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2012-08-14

Http://happypaintedfaces.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Advice please  Empty Re: Advice please

Post by amylady222 Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:28 pm

wow--that sounds amazing---have FUN!
don't know anyu of hte names you didn't know---I guess google them and see who you like (could learn their style) from the best!
amylady222
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PaolaSunglow Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:58 pm

WOW!!!!
if your choice would be I love you "Christina Davison" I love you , i would take her!!! blinded....she was a student of Mark Reid whom i love everything he does.
i am so sorry to intrude i am certainly not an experienced painter but really really love her work. Please don't take me blindly, check her site.....google "amadazzle" or see her at silly farm on video.
I also like Kerry Ann she is from Philly i think.
not sure about the rest.
Very Happy
PaolaSunglow
PaolaSunglow

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://www.sunglowfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:50 pm

look at the fabatv previews to get an idea of their work
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:47 pm

I LOVE Pashur and he's a very good instructor. Covers a lot of material and keeps good control of the classroom (so you can cover the material) Kerry Ann is the same way and I like her style (you have to see her kit to see that you CAN do fabulous with a small kit.) Christina is very talented and had a good way of breaking down designs so they are understandable. Nick is really good but might be a little overwhelming for a newbie but if you want boy designs he's really a must and actually has some fabulous swirly girl designs if you can catch that. Jay is a sweetheart but he kind of let the class lead him around a bit but I bet a year with Pashur has fixed that! He's fabulous at tribals and again, very kind. I don't know the rest. Gary taught also but I didn't hear any raves about his classes so they might be a little introductory.

Keep your ears open for "raves" about classes because an newer instructor might be sharing some FABULOUS stuff and no one will expect it until they go so don't be afraid to shift (I hope they'll let you) if you need to. Like Amy Medina taught a fabulous flower class that I'm kicking myself for missing because she was too new and didn't have a rep yet so I went somewhere else (even though I love flowers).
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:50 pm

When I choose an instructor/class...
I try to choose something that I am weak at in face painting.
I took the Wolfe Brothers to widen my "boys and monster" faces. Turns out that Nick Wolfe changed the way I do my line work.

I wanted to take Pashur's Tribal class with Jay Bautista as I am not good at spontaneously creating tribal designs. I can copy anything I can see. It is a struggle for me to extemporize a tribal design. I luckily got a hugh 18 day booking, and unluckily, had to miss the Tribal class in Syracuse. I ended up being delighted to take Pashur's Kick Butt Design in Detroit. He covered a LOT of different faces, techniques, with a minimalist kit and a lot of glitter. LOVED it.

I will still be looking for filling in more of my weaknesses.

Happy Painting!

xoxox
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie A Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Rebecca, I'm no help with the classes...but I am sooooo excited for you!!! cheers and wish I could go too. cat
Valerie A
Valerie A

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:44 pm

That's good advice. My first conference I didn't know anyone and there were only two classes I regretted. The majority of the instructors are there for a reason and being new I was so happy to learn whatever they had to offer.

I think that is the key, be open to what they are telling you and make sure you bring enough paints to try the design so it sinks in or at least sketch it out and take pictures so you can practice at home.
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:32 pm

My suggestions:

Christina Davison
Nick Wolfe
Pashur
Kerry Ann

Gary Cole ... only if you are TOTAL beginner. But if you have basic skills and some ability - skip it.

The others are all good too. I don't think you can really go wrong but it will depend on how much ability you have going it how much you will absorb.

Read the class descriptions as they will specify the level of painters that they are designed for - and try to go to the ones that suit your level.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:51 pm

I second, third, and fourth:

Kerry Ann,
Pashur,
Wolfe Brothers,
Christina Davison/Mark Reid
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebons Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:22 am

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice!
Rebons
Rebons

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmeadmama Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Lisa, where do you take classes?
kingsmeadmama
kingsmeadmama

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:17 pm

I took a my first class last November with Lynn McKay. I met Barb Ruggaburg (Ruggabug) on our Forum there. It was for beginners. It was at Adventure Valley North of Toronto.

I took the Wolfe Brothers, sponsored by Dotsy the Clown in February, Family Day. I showed up at Nathan Phillips Square with the family's skates in the van, so we could go for a family skate. My husband did not recognize me. It was in Mississauga at the Delta.

I took the Pashur class in Detroit in September at a member's condo party room.

I was looking forward to the FABAIC event in May. I was tentatively planning breast reduction surgery in May. Oh, Schnitzel, the choices I have to make.
In the meantime, I make myself busy and happy by pushing myself to paint. I try to create a jam for my team and myself once a month. There is usually one person who wants to know a particular face.... masks, boy stuff, zombies, so we all learn together.

I am looking forward to the day you can come and jam with Jessica and me.

xoxo
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmeadmama Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:13 am

Lisa, I would LOVE to meet up with you and Jessica! That would be soooo awesome Smile

If you happen to see any class listings in our neck of the woods, can you give me a heads up?
kingsmeadmama
kingsmeadmama

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:31 am

Of course!
I always look forward to a reason for playing in the paint.

xoxxo
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebons Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:58 pm

So I've pretty much decided on the classes, but I'm stuck on one... the Wednesday pre class. Do I take Christina Davison "Fur, Fins & Feathers" or Pashur & Jay "Wicked Wings"? Aaaaah! I've literally made up my mind 50 times and then changed it again! PLEASE HELP ME confused
Rebons
Rebons

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyNixe Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Which do you think you need more instruction in? Just from watching FABATV,I'd go with Pashur and Jay. But I'm easily swayed by handsome men.
JennyNixe
JennyNixe

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:45 pm

I would give my eye teeth to work with Pashur and Jay!! (well, maybe not give up my teeth, but if I had a choice.......)
Sandie
Sandie

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2012-09-19

http://www.imaginebysandie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PaolaSunglow Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:07 pm

You could see a bit of both painters at Sillyfarm.com
In their site on the left end side they list all their items. At the end of the list you will see the faba items. If you click there you will be able to see the dvd previews for few minutes of all artist. That might help you a little in making a decision. Hopefully...Very Happy
PaolaSunglow
PaolaSunglow

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://www.sunglowfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:39 pm

That's a really tough decision. I have taken a couple of classes from Pashur and no classes other than FABATv with Christina. Both have benefits, both are good teachers, both have a good sense of what sells at PPF events.

I would say that Christina's style is amazingly crisp and she tends towards being able to easily capture the "essence" of whatever she is painting very well. She can do amazing realism as well as a more cartoony style. She is good at presenting techniques that you can use to develop into your own designs or enhance the ones you already have.

Pashur has an amazing eye for color, for breaking down a design, and for talking you up about how to present your work. He's very good at encouraging the painters in his class. Jay obviously has exquisite linework, balance, and he's learning how to be a great teacher. Pashur and Jay are good at presenting their designs as something you can use as-is.

I would go with Christina at this point since I've already taken a few of Pashur's classes but honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either class. That doesn't help you, though.

Use facebook to peruse their accounts and see who has a style that more closely fits with how you see your art. Then, it's up to you to decide if you want to better develop your current style through the instructor or push and challenge yourself in a different direction by choosing the style that contrasts yours.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebons Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:28 pm

LOL Jenny! (handsome men... between my husband and two sons I have enough in my life!) Smile
Thanks everyone... I still can't decide.
Julie, thank you for your detailed advice. Sadly, I'm not sure I have a definitive style yet so...
Uggh! Why can't I take both?!?! Mad
Rebons
Rebons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down