Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Special needs children.

+10
Criss
MissHeidi
artyfacesbyluz
ginganinja
CottonKandyClown
ambodyart
Creations
Peachymango
Miss Ronnie
ARTSY LADY
14 posters

Go down

Special needs children. Empty Special needs children.

Post by ARTSY LADY Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:23 pm

I work for a dentist and this doctor is aware of my side biz, infact I've done a few parties on the side with her. Anywho she is doing a few CE's in the month of September and she asked if I can help out with dental assisting. It is a group of special needs children getting there teeth checked for any major work. As far as im concered she says it is a numeruous amount of services offered there, not only dental. So I thought if I should make contact with the director and possibly offer my services. I dont know exact details on how this event works or if they already have a face painter there. My real question is should I offer my services what do you guys think, and secondly have any of you actually WORKED with special needs children. If they are difficult I can manage children pretty well but I dont want to get myself into something I cant handle as far as the children go. Thank you guys for reading and for the advice I will be waiting for the advice since I dont have much time to think of a move and I might not even make it for this year Its short notice but atleast I might be in for next year. GRACIAS !!!!
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2012-06-02

Back to top Go down

Special needs children. Empty Re: Special needs children.

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:16 am

I have painted special needs children and adults. Each one is individual and you just have to go with the flow and assess what is possible for you to do a that moment. Take them one at a time, have lots of wipes and tissues, and have fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:45 am

The first day of one of the county fairs I did was this summer was designated only for special needs people and their families or caregivers. It was probably the best day I've ever had face painting. I painted many adults right along with children. It was quite challenging at times - but so rewarding. My booth partner was very busy doing the hair feathers and tinsel and colored neon sprays as well. We both loved that day and continue to say that it was the best day of all the events we did this summer.
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachymango Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:03 am

At the market I occasionally paint special needs children and young adults. I just take it as it comes. Their happy and willing to be painted or not. They are usually on an outing so I think it adds to their day.
Peachymango
Peachymango

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Creations Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:17 am

Take it in your stride.. I have painted a few adults and they LOVE being painted, it might be kid like requests.. but as I said they LOVE having it done and the result, enjoy what you do regardless you who u paint, you being happiness and joy. sunny
Creations
Creations

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://creationsfaba.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ambodyart Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:20 am

Go for it! I work with two young men who both have Autism and mild/severe intellectual disabilities for my full time job. While my guys would probably not be into face painting, others would be. All you need to do is have patience and listen to whoever is accompanying them. Some of them have sensory issues and may not like being touched or having their head held but will be ok with the painting itself. If there is a caregiver with them always ask for suggestions on how to proceed, especially since so many people with intellectual disabilities are non-verbal. I would also offer a second option if they will not sit to be painted or decide they don't want it. Even if you get some stickers some to hand out or temporary tattoos( the apply with water kind) the families and individuals will appreciate it. To them it is generally about being as normal as possible. Face painting is something they may never have had the chance to try for fear of reaction or an outburst. Offering body art in a special needs friendly environment gives some an opportunity to try something they otherwise may not. I know the caregivers will feel better too, if the person with special needs makes odd or loud noises or reacts unexpectedly the other people around will understand.

I say do it!
ambodyart
ambodyart

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:40 am

I painted a whole class of special needs children last yr and they are sooo sweet!

Most were fine and didn't move too much. I had one girl(probably around 7) very interested in what I was doing and kept moving to see what I was doing, but I'm use to kids moving.

One child that could not speak or walk was probably the hardest because he kept smiling. He liked it! Very Happy

Another child got really excited(maybe too excited) and started flapping his hands. He was my favorite! He kept asking me if I was painting him a dog and I kept telling him yes. Smile He asked me at less 6 times before I was finished. Too cute!

They are all so special Smile
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ginganinja Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:15 am

Like others have said, each person is different. To me, they are just the same as other kids I paint, some wiggle, some sit still, some are nervous, some are excited. If there is a care taker don't be afraid to ask if you need help. Talk to them just like you would other kids. They just want to feel normal. I have found they are more fun to paint because they are so appreciative and don't filter their joy! Be confident and enjoy yourself!

ginganinja

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:54 am

The biggest thing, which I forgot to mention, is to talk continually while you are painting them - explain what you are doing, talk about the character you are painting, comment on their shirt design or their wheelchair or scooter, etc. Keep them focussed on you and they usually are fairly still, if they can be.

Don't be afraid to ask their carer whether certain things are okay - like painting over their eyes, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Thank You all so much, I will send out an email to the director tonight. Im really incouraged to paint these kids now and I trully believe it will make me so happy in the inside when I see them smile back to that mirror. I know I would be able to handle their needs, I just really wanted some words of encouragement and again Thank You ALL
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:08 pm

I have painted kids with special needs, they love it, but they can't tell you what they want, and they move a lot, they don't really understand what are you doing but when they see the mirror they love it.
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHeidi Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:25 pm

My son is on the autism spectrum and I have painted at the 2 autism fundraisers in our area for years. The majority of the kids who get painted at the autism functions are NOT on the spectrum as their sensory sensitivity would make this an unpleasant experience. When they and if they do decide to get painted, be ready for anything (and it'a usually pretty funny)... I had one boy not very happy with me because his rainbow did not have orange in it Smile and another boy last year who would get painted while watching in the mirror (a challenge in itself), promptly wash it off and then point to another design. (This was while the race was going on so we had no line - he was so cute I painted him 3 or 4 times in a row!
MissHeidi
MissHeidi

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-07-30

http://www.colormewildfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Im ecxited and cant wait to see if I will be in this year (hope I am), but the mistery itself is on how will they react? Thats what keeps me curious. At the end of the day I just want to see them smile, and the fact that they are special needs children doesn't bother me (well as long as they dont lash out at me) So far I've heard they are usually quite timid or really happy RIGHT?? Very Happy
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:02 pm

I've worked many years with persons with developemental disibilities and they definitely communicate with you. Now it may not be verbal, but they will communicate. Smile Treat them with respect, just like you would anybody else. They understand far more than people give them credit for, never underestimate. Take your time and explain, as Shannon said, and most important, have FUN!!
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:15 am

I've painted for a Special needs Easter Egg Hunt for 7 years now (it was one of my 1st gigs). Each child is individual & you have to approach them w/ their needs in mind. If it's medical, low immune system, then I usually paint an arm or ankle. If it's tactile I'll offer the arm as well. You will also get lots of adults. Go w/ the flow, have fun & you may get some of your favorite pics, but not your best work.

You probably have a better skill set than most if you work in dental & w/ kids. You're already used to convince kids to do things they just don't like or want.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:56 am

Psalmbook actually you are right, I do have a good way of managing kids they often dont listen to the doctor and I take over and surpricingly enough they listen to me.
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilareta Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Ask them -or their caregivers- about their favourite things to do: watching tv (any special character?), playing whatever sport(favourite team?), singing, going to the zoo (favourite animal?), ... My youngest brother is an awesome Down Syndrome boy and I've painted many times at the festivals in his workplace. Some children love getting their face painted, others don' t tolerate it so I paint them on their arm, some are quiet, some are super nervous,...like any other child. I agree with Shannon about focus their attention on you, talk and explain everything you do and tell them how pretty butterfly/dragon you're painting and how lovely they're. Btw, my brother doesn't like too much being painted but when he allows me to paint him, he always asks me to paint some FOOD, he LOVES eating, lol: "Mmmmmm, roast chicken with chips? No,no,no, a hamburger! With lettuce, tomato and cheese! Have you got any yellow for the cheese? And pink for painting some bacon,too?" He's a sweetheart!
Pilareta
Pilareta

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:31 pm

I have worked with Individuals with handicapps for years--I voluntered when I turned 12 and when I turned 16 I was hired by the community center in our area and did everything from life skills, bowling, dancing, cooking, and everything inbetween. Plus I worked in a classroom with individuals with disabilities for over a year.
I have found that most of them are wonderful and full of love, but some have anger issues. Those that are difficult you need to be firm and loving. "I really want to paint your face and think you will look amazing, but if you don't (calm down, hold still) I won't be able to finish and we will have to wash it off."
I also found that most love stories and if you get actions with the story that helps. When we needed our kids/adults to hold still we would tell them something like "This paint is from the dragons secret layer. In order to get the paint we had to hold real still while our knight would go in and take it. If we moved to much the dragon would wake up and try to eat us. Lets pretend we are waiting for the knight to come back with the paint and see if we can hold still for 20 seconds" and then paint like crazy while you count to 20---if you still need time you can even say things like "oh it looks like the knight wants to go back in and get the black we need to outl ine your face--lets hold still for 15 more seconds"

Mostly I have founds that individuals with handicapps just want to know the clear and cut rules and most respond well.

Sorry I kind of wrote a book...
amylady222
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Pilareta thank you, and I actually have helped out with special needs children in the past. There was a BEST BUDDY's program in High School that I paticipated in it was a really short term course and I didnt really get involved too much. I was partnered up with the cuttest little kid he was about 14 and his eyes would light up every time I showed up. He actually got in trouble by the teacher a few times I was there, funny now but he always tried to kiss me. It didnt bother me really, well because he never got to do it. It was quite silly of him.
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 pm

AmyLady I will try to point out every detail as possible and keep their attention on me. Thanks for your tip!! Very Happy
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:25 am

I'm sure you will love it... I actually really like painting special needs clients. I did an event for an epilepsy support group last year and they will be having me back in a couple of weeks for this year. Everyone enjoyed it so much. Usually, they will have an aid or a parent with them to help you. It is very rewarding, even if it doesn't turn out to be your best version of any particular design, they will just adore it. Sometimes, I don't get to paint them, but make them a balloon or just give them a clown hug and they are having the time of their lives.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down