Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Brand to Buy?

+3
02Skeith
vegas mom
smiley143
7 posters

Go down

What Brand to Buy? Empty What Brand to Buy?

Post by smiley143 Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:30 am

I am doing a face painting booth at our church picnic, outside, temperatures probably between 85-95, could have St Louis hot and high humidity also. I bought a cheap pack of Tulip face paint from our local Michaels and tried it. They worked good and did not wipe off unless I was trying to put a outline on. It seems where there is heavier pain it never dried and kept wiping off and was sticky.
I want to buy some good paint that is dry to the touch and will not wipe off.
I do need balck and white that can be used for outlining and then some base colors. Nothing too difficult or expensive though since this is a donation. But on the other hand I am a so called "Want To Be Artist" and I take pride in anything I do so I try to make it look good. In other words, yes, I am a perfectionist when it comes to anything artsy, so I would like my face painting to look good and not wear, fall or sweat off.

So I looked at a lot of your comments on different brands.
It seems Starblends is good but you put it on dry and it can fade of fall off.
It also seems Snazaroo is out if it is hot.
It kinda looked like Wolfe might be the brand I want????

hanks for any help any of you can give!!!

smiley143

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-08-07

Back to top Go down

What Brand to Buy? Empty Re: What Brand to Buy?

Post by smiley143 Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:29 am

One other question - does any of these paints stain the face?

smiley143

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:38 am

http://www.facepaintforum.com/t10566-priorites-on-building-a-kit
http://www.facepaintforum.com/t8820-favorite-rainbow-cakes-and-one-stroke-colors
vegas mom
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by smiley143 Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks Vegas Mom!

Just took a look - and does any of these paints stain the face?

smiley143

Back to top Go down

Post by 02Skeith Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:04 pm

I i have used wolfe, diamond FX, Tag, Fab, paradise, and kryolan in the Saint louis heat, and Kryolan is the only one i have had problems, it tends to come off or smear in the humidity. Wolfe stains my skin the most but i have very pale skin and i have seen the paints come of kids easily but stain me.
02Skeith
02Skeith

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintedFaces Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Staining definitely depends more on skin type than brand. I have the most issues with metallic greens for some reason.
PaintedFaces
PaintedFaces

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2012-06-29

http://www.paintedfaces.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:00 am

I think all brands have some colors that stain a bit. I put removal instructions on the back of my card and try to remember to give one to each person. I started with TAG and have been very happy. I did go to Wolfe white and a a few others for various reasons (color choice, blending to make shadows, etc.) but most of my paints are still TAG. I love the square containers, it covers well, and seems to be one of the less costly per ounce. Colors I have seen stain are greens and red/maroon. TAG black hasn't ever stained me but Wolfe black does stain me so I've kept with TAG for black.
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KirstenJ Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:47 pm

I notice that the cool colors (greens, blues, teals, purples) tend to stain my skin moreso than others. But I have super fair skin, so it's easy to stain, lol. I love my Wolfe White and Wolfe Black- each is perfect for outlines. But if you want to cover more area and have less staining, FAB Black is excellent.

Wolfe is an excellent brand. It is wax-based paint, and it has incredible staying power. (But do NOT leave it in your car on a hot day. It will get squishy.) FAB is my other favorite, because the colors are SO unique and gorgeous. And it covers well, and washes off easily.

Best of luck in your decision making!
KirstenJ
KirstenJ

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-03-30

http://kirstenjaskela.carbonmade.com

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:11 pm

I think most of the brands generally carry a colour that will stain temporaraly, I have issues with green it really stains me and sometimes purple, but never a problem with red or Wolfe black for example yet I know many others have issues with these. So I too think it comes down to skin type. As well as how long you have left it on e.g. I have painted designs on my arm and legs and fallen asleep to test this, and I will stain in just about every colour to a degree.

Having said that, I have never had a problem removing it if I care too with say, soap, baby shampoo, moisturiser, olive oil. I say if I care too - as I often paint on my arm, might need to go to pick up kids and if i remember wash it off quickly, often there is a stain but I haven't really tried to get it off. If I was going out and concerned I would use something that I mentioned.

If you are greatly concerned you could maybe try starblends - as I don't ever recall reading about staining with them. Someone correct me here if I am wrong as I only really use white and black (also I personally suck at them) Denise has a few threads on them and she gets good coverage. Miss Ronnie uses them well too. Suzy Sparkles I recall has talked about ways to get good coverage. As well as many others on the forum it’s just those three lady’s spring to mind.

I haven't had real major staining with green in FAB - it is still there but much lighter although I haven't had them very long. I also only have 20 or so colours and I haven’t used them through a humid summer - I suspect they may be a bit melty - as yet I honestly don't know. Another painter may be able to tell you how they hold up in humidity.

Tag I know holds up well through the Australian Summers - and is dry to the touch but can be a bit of a pest to blend. And the pots can get a little goopy I keep mine in the fridge in summer stops most of the problems. For me it only really happens with the most used colours I’d guess due to water i.e red, orange, pinks and my Wolfe and or diamond FX Black and white do the same.

Paradise holds up well and doesn’t goop as the Tag dose in the pots in the high used colours. It dose get a bit softer all round – not goopy though, but most brands do suffer a little with softness in heat. I think it dose well, all considered.

If I use, snaz or kryolan (have one of each in my big kit) in summer I do try to avoid this as much as possible. I do tend to set it with either a white mica or a luminare depending on the design though. They are colours I don’t use that often. This can be time consuming in the long run, and I do think the tag and paradise still holds up a bit better. I have watched snaz turn into a mess on peoples faces quickly in the heat as a bystander at events in summer i.e. school fetes, markets and what not. I took all but 1 snaz out of my kit last summer and gave it too my kids.

I tend to lean towards Paradise when its colder/average and Tag when is hotter. It just seems to me that the Tag fairs a little better in terms of design integrity IMO on a hot day a few hours later. Paradise is still very good a lot of the painters I have worked with and know of use paradise in the heat. I find that both brands will stain a little. I just have both so I can choose. But if I had to pick - starting out in summer I would go with Tag. That is only because I suck at starblends.
elantaura
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smiley143 Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks everyone for taking time to respond!!

I bought Tag - I guess I will see - hopefully it won't be too hot.

One last question, for removing - it looks like tearless shampoo, or moisturizer?

smiley143

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:14 am

baby shampoo seems to work the best....Denise Cold has a youtube video out showing and explaining the best way to wash off the paint...
vegas mom
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down