Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are your Face Painting goals?

+9
Ashley Pickin
Painted Dragon
LoneWolf
glendaoneill
JBax
Rosenberg-Cox
starponysmama
Perry Noia
Lady Jayde
13 posters

Go down

What are your Face Painting goals? Empty What are your Face Painting goals?

Post by Lady Jayde Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:28 pm

I know that there was some discussion about goals as they pertained to the business portion of face painting, but what about the painting portion of FP?

What are your goals for yourself? Long and short term.

For me:
Short term: My short term goal is to conquer my feelings of inadequacy and inexperience so that I can feel that I have a right to face paint. I've been reading at the UK site longer than here, so I have it in my head that I have to be deemed worthy (by other face painters) to be able to charge for my work. I know that the gals at the UK Chat site have good intentions behind the warnings to newbies who pursue a bigger chunk than they're professionally ready for, but for someone like me who sturggles with thinking her brush only produces mediocre crap, those words of warning have been a safety crutch. I need to remove it and start walking the line.

Long term: I would like to advance my painting skills to a level that would see me ready to apply for FACE membership as well as Alliance membership (though I know very little about the requirements for that). I'm not looking to keenly at money earning potential or noteriety, but rather skill set. I wouldn't mind being a face painter that wows other face painters oneday...but I'll settle for having people begging me to do parties ... Embarassed

Et tu?
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

What are your Face Painting goals? Empty Re: What are your Face Painting goals?

Post by Perry Noia Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:57 pm

I don't know that I necessarily have any specific goals... I just keep working at it, finding new ideas to incorporate and try to be the best I can be. My main goals are more business oriented, so my focus is there right now.

I can kind of see the point of reaching a certain level of competency before charging and yet, I hate to see anyone doing it for free at any level because there are certain expenses that we all have and it cheapens everyone's work when there are people who are willing to do it for free.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by starponysmama Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:54 pm

Speed.

Learning the ropes of what people want and what will suffice.

Growing business......everywhere.....making it an art that people want and crave.

I'm all about the benjamin's but I never forget that I do it because it's fun - it brightens a child's day, and is very emotionally rewarding.

And mostly - building our professional image for all face painters and body artists. We still don't get the respect we deserve in my opinion. I strive to present myself as professional as possible.
starponysmama
starponysmama

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-06-16

http://www.facepaintingtallahassee.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:02 pm

I don't put a whole lot of stock in "other people's" opinions of what is acceptable or not as my standards don't necessarily line up with theirs - but do feel that there should be a bare minimum skill set to be able to charge for our services.

However, I'm sure we've all seen people paying for totally awful painting and they've been happy to do so.

So... it really comes down to YOUR CONFIDENCE LEVEL... and you know that!!!

My goals are tied up in my Business Plan... and I update that regularly. I want my make-up business as a whole to account for at least 40% of my total net income short term... long long term I'd like to be doing it full time.

Face painting wise - I'd like to work on fast, fun and unique designs and have a display board of almost full face designs that can be painted in under 3 minutes... oy vey What are your Face Painting goals? Suspect Hey, I can dream. What are your Face Painting goals? Icon_rolleyes

And since I am the Make-Up Artist/Designer for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies for the Arctic Winter Games in 2010 my immediate goal is to find out what the h*ck is going to be required!!

Oh yeah, from what I can see that Alliance is dead in the water... there's been no new info or chatter for over a year and the website is sitting there unfinished. I know people who demanded their membership fees back (and got them.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:34 pm

I guess with the alliance going nowhere that's one less thing on my list!

I know what you mean by confidence Shannon...you're right...I do know it! But how do you handle being lambasted for not being up to a certain level of painting? My heart often goes out to some of the gals on the other site (SOME of them) because it seems so easy to squish people like a bug when you're not careful.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosenberg-Cox Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:04 pm

I did not write down any goals.

I am confident in what I offer is worth the price I charge but I always wish I could go faster. Just not too fast as I am really enjoying myself right now.

No business plan, no long term goals.

A few years ago, I was just me painting as a little thing I would do when others needed help. Now, the face painting as become our family activity. They either help me with cleaning brushes/line control or participating at the fair or activity I am working at that day.

I recently decided I did not want to spend at more time doing anything I did not enjoy. I really enjoy the face painting.

I may not be a good example.
Rosenberg-Cox
Rosenberg-Cox

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-08-27

http://www.facepainting.coxmanor.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:15 pm

Excellent topic! Hard to get somewhere if you aren't sure where you want to go. I must think about his one.

I want to work on my creativity and continue to challenge myself. This has been an excellent resource to get me to open myself up to new ideas and ways of doing things. I may just have to join every month's challenge as a goal just to force myself to think creatively.

I need to make a different butterfly. I know everyone is sick of butterflies, but I only have one in my repretoire that I actually am statisfied with. I'd like more options in my arsenal.

I used to have the goals to do some body painting, become networked with other painters, and become more active in the art community in indy. And all of those can be checked off! I feel pretty good about it.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:17 pm

What are your Face Painting goals? Mooning

Lady Jayde wrote: But how do you handle being lambasted for not being up to a certain level of painting?

You do this... What are your Face Painting goals? Affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosenberg-Cox Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:33 pm

That is a great picture!
Rosenberg-Cox
Rosenberg-Cox

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-08-27

http://www.facepainting.coxmanor.com

Back to top Go down

Post by glendaoneill Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:40 pm

An absolute gem Shannon lol!

Glenda
glendaoneill
glendaoneill

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:42 pm

Shannon Fennell wrote:What are your Face Painting goals? Mooning

Lady Jayde wrote: But how do you handle being lambasted for not being up to a certain level of painting?

You do this... What are your Face Painting goals? Affraid

Oh yeah... right... and THEN I'll get blamed for blotting out the freakin' sun and probably blinding some poor passerby... can't win can I?
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:14 pm

My plan: to make a plan..

But it seems to be going good without What a Face
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:52 pm

lol! jocolor

How about quit blessing those losers with your presence when obviously they don't know how to nurture talent and support others in their craft? We are so fabulous! And I don't mind saying so! And dog-gone-it! Block out that sun if you choose to! I do! Sometimes Indy needs a shady day!

Rant over... back to wonderfully positive goal setting thoughts.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Painted Dragon Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:30 am

I just got an email similar to yours Shannon, except it was a real picture and someone had painted a jack o lantern on there...

I'd post it on here butt...I mean but, it might not be quite proper.
Painted Dragon
Painted Dragon

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-09

http://www.the-painted-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:49 am

Kristal S. wrote:I just got an email similar to yours Shannon, except it was a real picture and someone had painted a jack o lantern on there...

I'd post it on here butt...I mean but, it might not be quite proper.

Oh, what-ev's Kristal! You know we'd all get a good laugh! Laughing

anywho, as for goals... My goals are pretty simple. To be able to knock out a kick butt face in front of people and preferably in a shortish amount of time, and to have the ability to make it look kick butt no matter what, even if the kid stinks at sitting still!

So it is written, so it shall be!
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather Timmons Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:30 pm

My goal is to be happy and have fun. When it stops being fun, then I return to just painting myself for fun...cause that is always fun!

I am in a small town and keep my fees appropriate. Someday maybe I'll travel and start charging more. But with small children, I really do not want a huge business that takes me away from them.

Personally, it's not my sole source of income so I can be somewhat relaxed about it and it is fun...I have a hobby that provides me with a small income and keeps me in supplies that I can use for my own desires and whims! (Costume stuff and dressing up for fairs and Halloween and the like). I'm happy.

There is a saying,

'Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are right'.

So no negative thinking please! Do not doubt your skills, they will come and you will find your sweet spot as far as your skill/fees and speed/quality that apply to your own level of Face Painting. If folks want you, pay you and you are happy, who cares what others think...you are out there doing it! Very Happy
Heather Timmons
Heather Timmons

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://www.catsmeowinfo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyO Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:21 pm

I agree with Heather - my goal is to have fun and to keep learning and mastering my technique. As long as there are faces to paint I will be painting. I would like to travel and teach on the weekends. I am also getting interested in the photography of how to get a great picture of the faces.
KathyO
KathyO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:39 pm

I've been in sort of a funk lately, not really practicing anything new or trying anything new. Just same ol', same ol'... I need to snap out of that...

Most of my goals are business related (I'm in a decline from last year as far as income, though I've had more actual jobs scratch), but now that most all of my pics are lost I do intend to build my menu board back up, maybe with some all-new stuff.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gigiso Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Right now I'm learning by reproducing styles I've seen. I'm starting to develop my own style. That's a big goal for me -- to put my own personal spin on my designs.
gigiso
gigiso

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-04-12

http://facepaintingflorida.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down